waterway street - Barker family

hi im trying to find my lost branch of my family,all i no for sure is they seemed to have a buisness at 54 waterway street nottingham late 1880s to 1914 ,iv found 2 brothers so far but a home address would help as 1 brother came down to brighton sussex who was my great granddad,i have photos but no one wrote on them to say how they were,on blowing 1 photo up i saw waterway st and i no nottingham was where the were born,the great war claimed 1 brother for sure ,i have found his regiment and some details in war diary,hes also menshioned in our local church book ,they could have links with the brewery trade,its taken me 17 years to get this far ,so any help would be greatfully recived,many thanks pete

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Pete. I've worked on my own family tree for over 40 years and know how addictive it is! I'm sure there will be some Nottstalgians who are very familiar with the area in which you are interested and can offer some help. It's truly amazing, the information on this site! Keep posting!

Welcome hepsibar .

1911 Living at 54 Waterway Street is Samuel Barker born 1858 Lowdham

Ann Barker wife 1856 Lowdham

Arthur 1888 b. Nottingham

Herbert 1890 b.Nottingham

Plus 3 daughters.

There's a death for a Samuel Barker in 1925 , might be him . His business seemed to have been a carter .

There is a  Herbert Barker born 29th Dec 1889 living at 18a Lammas Street in 1939 .

He could be Samuels son above , although he is described as a wood worker in 1939 , there is an advert in 1935 where he is selling a heavy duty cart and horse which makes me think there could be a connection .

Others at that address:

Wife - Violet  (nee Carty)

Others who were prob their children :

Herbert born 1923

Doris born 1931

Thomas born 1937.

I don't know if it's a coincidence but there is another Barker off the same street making wooden sheds etc . Adverts from 1910-1919

32179796801_da421bc89f_b.jpg

In a directory for 1916, these are the Barkers living in the Meadows area. I don't suppose they are all connected, but I'll bet some of them are relevant to this thread.

65 Annesley Street   -    William Barker  .....  Stoker

124 London Road   -     Harry Barker  .... School Master

64 Waterway Street West   -    Samuel Barker  ....  Carter

133 Wilford Crescent East   -   Francis Robert Barker  ....  Warper

68 Wilford Grove   -   Edward Barker  ....  Engine driver

20 Willersley Street   -    Mrs Ellen Barker

10 Willersley Street   -   Thomas Barker  .... Core maker

• Upvote 1

thank you all so much,on 1 photo i have there is horse and cart on enlarging it i can clearly see .S.BARKER 54 WATERWAY STREET ! and also a gentleman feeding the horse a carrot,the picture looks very old by the clothes and boots he is weareing,ive just traced another family member from nottingham ,a robert barker born 1882,who survived the great war but was killed on the 4th febuary 1919 on hms penarth  whilst clearing mines off the yorkshire coast,the next brother JAMES LOUIS BARKER BORN 1889 NOTTINGHAM  died arras 24TH APRIL 1917,So much of our history is lost as a generation passes away and all the information they have is lost ,so its up to us to preserve as much as we can for future generations, pete

• Upvote 1

May not be a relative,but my late husband had a friend called Graham Barker,he married a woman named Betty,they lived on Carlton road nottingam,I'm guessing Graham would be about 65-70,now.I think they had a son called Dale.

i would be interested to no if waterway street still exsists,i noticed that it is refered to as the meadows,was this area farmland that was turned into housing ?was it on the outskirts of nottingham,was a river near waterway street,i would like to see a street of the area ,with the kind help of others ive started pieceing together the barker family,so far ive found 3 sons that for some unnown reason traveled south to live and work in brighton sussex some time around 1880 -1901,ive a feeling their parents did not leave nottingham there names were William Barker and Fanny[frances] Barker,Robert barker 1882-1919 went down on hms penarth,James lewis barker born 1889-1917 died of his wounds during a cavelery charge near arras,john william ????-1936 my great,great grand father i am unsure if he took part in the 1st world war,all i no about him is he worked first as a maltster,then during the depreshion in 1930s he helped re-faceing the white cliffs being lowerd down on a bosens chair ! my dad said when he came home he was white and looked like a ghost,like many familys back then the grand parents,the parents and children all lived together ,only got a computor very recently as im like many that came very late on line im stumberling about all over the place ,couldnt seem to learn from books on them so got 1 and started pressing buttonstryed asking younger generation but they went so fast i was messmerised !i found this site looking for something totaly un related but im so glad i did.,

• Upvote 1

Hi hepsibar,you've come to the right place to find out about Waterway street, my early years were spent growing up in the meadows and I remember Waterway street as I was on my way up town,you are right in thinking the meadows was open land before it was used for housing,it was  the flood meadows for the river Trent which is about a mile from Waterway street,I believe as well as housing on the street there was also some factories,someone will be along soon with a lot more information and Cliff Ton will no doubt be able to post some photo's and a map (he knows his stuff) Good luck with your searches and keep tapping away on that computer you are doing ok

Rog

• 2 years later...

Hi, if the Barker who first moved down to Brighton was at some time a malster by trade (according to census records) then he will be a member of the Barker families of Epperstone & Lowdham of Nottinghamshire to which I am related. A number of them moved into Nottingham itself (including my own) so their descendents can be hard to track thereafter. But I always wondered why your ancestor moved down to Brighton!