I've been inspired to start this thread as a member of the Amos family has recently joined NS and I hope it might inspire her to post some memories.

The Amos family ran their business from a yard on Plantation Side. The lorries went in and out of there and during school holidays, my sister and Jill Amos operated a cafe, providing tea, coffee and bacon sandwiches for the drivers.

I remember Jill's grandfather, Sydney Amos, who lived at the top of Bobbers Mill Road, opposite St Stephen's church, which the family attended. Sydney's car, an old green Rover, was often parked next to his son's bright yellow Ford Zephyr at the bottom of Bobbers Mill Road, near to the garage where local midwife, nurse Heaton, kept her car.

Ron Amos, his wife Irene and their four children, Carolyn, Jill, Ian and Elaine lived just around the corner on Alfreton Road. Their collie dog, Nell, was often seen trotting up Bobbers Mill Road.

I remember Ron and Irene Amos very well. Ron was a large, bluff, dark haired, pipe smoking chap who seemed like a giant to me as a child. For a while, Sydney Amos had the corner shop on Fretwell Street/Bobbers Mill Road as an office. There was an electrically operated display of a roaring coal fire in the window with a teddy bear sitting in front of it. I recall asking my mum to take me to see it when I was in my pushchair!

Jill Amos went to Peveril with my sister, although she was 2 years younger. They also made friends with two girls, Hilary and Heather, relatives of Edgar and Elsie Hardy who lived at 4 Chadwick Road, going to stay with them in Wakefield. I remember going to wave them off from Huntingdon Street bus station.

I know that letsavagoo was acquainted with Ian Amos.

Hoping that Jill will add some of her memories of a childhood on Alfreton Road as I know she will have many.

Sydney Amos married Ethel Maude Goodliffe in 1909. There was and still is a Goodliffe Street which runs off Radford Road. I don't know whether there is any connection with Ethel's family, although I note she was born in Huntingdonshire in 1883. The family may have moved to Nottingham around the time these streets were being laid out.

• Upvote 1