Here's some of mine, learnt from my dad & others in the 60's & 70's;

1. Always leave the car in gear when parked.....Dad; In case yer bl**dy handbrake cable snaps!!
  2. Always point front wheels toewards the kerb........Ditto
  3. Change gear in sequence, both up & down through the box when approaching a roundabout/junction etc
  4. Drive with both mitts on the wheel (steering).................never polish the steering wheel

Your comments views etc are all welcome + any other habits you may have (driving only)..........

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ipast my test just before my 19th birthday in 1964,and without sounding like an old groaner Cars were much harder to drive back then almost drive themselves nowadays............give the young un's a s

If you are going to test drive a car, don't do this!    

I have found Murphy's Law comes in when parallel parking. If you have to shunt several times, you are guaranteed to have an audience. Go in first time, and not a bogger around. 

I've had automatics for years days but always used to leave manual cars in gear. I sometimes drive my son's manual and it drives him bonkers when he switches the ignition on and it lurches forward..lol.

Common practice to miss out gears when changing down/up these days too. I always used to change every gear going down to get engine braking but it's no longer the way apparently, 'engines for going and brakes for slowing'.  

• Upvote 1

The new way of thinking about going down the gears to slow you down is,"use the brakes they are cheaper than replacing the clutch/gearbox",

why is it that out here the indicator lights don't come on until the brake lights have been on for sometime and the car is about ten feet away from the junction?

Rog

• Upvote 2

It seems to be a bit of an urban myth that engine braking causes wear on the engine/drivetrain. But it's not just the economic factors, for me engine braking on manuals adds to a more overall braking efficiency. On a motorcycle, particularly on suspect or slippy surfaces, even more so.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, TBI said:

I sometimes drive my son's manual and it drives him bonkers when he switches the ignition on and it lurches forward..lol.

That's his bad driving. You should check that it isn't in gear before starting the engine

• Upvote 3

I was always taught to indicate first, prior to braking or changing down. Also change down before braking as you are more likely to be in control at a slightly slower engine speed. 

• Upvote 2

I passed my test in 1971 or 2?

Some of the things taught when I had my lessons Mirror. Signal. Manoeuvre, I say it in my mind while driving.  Always use all of the gears and make sure you are in the appropriate gear before turning a corner, not on the turn, as that is when the car is most unstable.

I see so many things done today by drivers, that we were taught not to do. Sad thing is they seem to get away with it!

• Upvote 3

I've got one family near me that think it is necessary to put their hazard flashers on when they reverse into the driveway. If your hazard lights were meant to come on when reversing they would be wired up to do so. I don't think the examiner would have been impressed if they'd done it on their tests.

• Upvote 1

On the whole, the standard of driving in this country is truly appalling. Impatience, incompetence, dangerous and downright reckless.

• Upvote 3

Ipast my test just before my 19th birthday in 1964,and without sounding like an old groaner Cars were much harder to drive back then almost drive themselves nowadays............give the young un's a starting handle they would'nt know where to shove it........At nineteen i was thrown the keys to a 6 ton lorry at Farrands head office,(Wigman road).......the boss saying take that load to Peterboro Ben,.........i'd past me car test only weeks before and he wanted me to drive a loaded lorry about 70 odd miles..............the gears where a different ball game back then double the clutch etc,...........but always game for a challenge i said ok Boss and did it,.........crapping myself all the way.........every time i come off the A1 for Peterborough now-days theres a steepish slope and bend before getting on theA47,and it was so in 64'.....and think about that day when i stalled the bleddy thing at that spot...........but when i got back to Wigman road with job done felt like i'd climbed Everest..............eeeh when i were a lad................lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 11

I reckon a manual gearbox would almost be a special order for cars downunder these days. 90%+ of cars sold here are autos, on many models, manufacturers do not offer a manual option. More and more are CVT with simulated 6, 7, 8 or 9 ratios

Still always park with the wheels facing the kerb when parking on steepish hills, just a throwback from the old days and less reliable mechanicals.

I'm with Carni, - Mirror, Signal,  Manoeuver,  trouble is too many people thing the indicators are for decoration only and only to be used after drivers around you have worked out what you are doing.

Remember this?

'For the next part of the test I shall require you to use hand signals only''Take the next turning on the left'

OK, Check mirror, WIND window down, hissing with rain so getting wet, hang right arm out of window and make circular motion with arm. Turn approaching, need to select appropriate gear, bring right arm back and onto steering wheel, change down through the box to 1st or 2nd gear, return left hand to wheel, meanwhile feet are dancing across foot pedals in some co-ordinated fashion. Check mirror again, wind window back to closed position, both hands on wheel and turn. Is that a pass?

• Upvote 1

Looks good to me! You have passed  Miduck.

It's a lot of years since my test, but I'm pretty sure I didn't do hand signals whilst taking it. Though my driving instructor did teach me them, and they have stayed in my memory, even though I have never had to use them.

#15. As I remember it, that part of the driving test was stopped when it was realised that women only did it to dry off their nail varnish.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Carni,

Forgot to mention, When turning left it was frowned upon to drive with the N/S rear wheel on the pavement so the tester didn't agree. I was just 17 and had no formal driving lessons. Don't need them at 17 because you know everything.

• Upvote 1

Naa, they just opened the sun-roof and stuck their hand through it, after they had put on their lipstick in the rearview mirror.

• Upvote 1

Saw a young woman the other morning driving up Hucknall Rd in rush hour traffic.... No hands on the wheel, and doing her hair whilst looking in the mirror on the sun visor..... I had to smile !