Things that may (or may not) surprise you

A Barrel of monkeys is actually the correct term for a group of monkeys.

Breaking wind helps reduce blood pressure ,so it's good for your health.

Nowhere in the Bible does it say or suggest that angels have wings.

More couples divorce in January than in any other month.

• Upvote 2

carni. If you are implying what I think you are implying, then tell Chris to sit a couple of tables away from us at the next meeting you attend.

• Upvote 3

#1.  Re angels.....  I agree that generally speaking, angels do not have wings.  The confusion occurs because of the seraphim (plural of seraph) and cherubim (plural of cherub).   These creatures are said to be constantly with God and DO have wings - in fact the cherubim are said to have 2 pairs of wings (Ezekiel chapter 1) and the seraphim, 6 wings (Isaiah chapter 6).  

• Upvote 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Drivers in china who dazzle other road users with full beam headlights are made to stare into the lights for a minute as punishment.

A mans pea coat takes its name from the Dutch word pijjakker,which referred to the type of cloth it was made from.

There are still 1,480  gaslights in Londons streets.

There are an estimated 32,000 parakeets living wild in the uk.

And how did they know where to look. 

Here's one that I have done a few times:

The 1½ mile journey from Westray to Papa Westray in the UK’s Orkney Islands is the shortest scheduled flight in the world. The trip takes less than two minutes

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

I think they were the forerunners of the Red Arrows. I remember an aerobatic team when I was a child.

A friend of mine, no longer with us, was in a Vampire aerobatic team in the post war years. The team was initially called Dracula but I can find no mention of this - although there was a Black Knights team. They flew out of Odiham in Hampshire. He was a captain in the Army Air Corps but spent much time on secondment to the RAF. He was a fund of wartime flying stories and I did try to persuade him to write a book of his reminiscences. He told me he had the exciting experience of being sent to shoot up the gasworks in Calais at the age of 19!

1 hour ago, plantfit said:

Did they used to fly the Folland Gnat?

Rog

They were what the Red Arrows originally used. 

The Black Arrows were Hawker Hunters. Used to see them at air displays in the late 1950s/early 1960s.

• Upvote 1

Remember the Black Arrows at Hucknall

There are an estimated 38 lbs of Gold dissolved in every cubic mile of seawater.

There were a number of Hunter aerobatic teams, the most famous were the Black Arrows of No.111 Squadron. Their party-piece was a mass diamond loop consisting of 24 aircraft. They performed this at the Hucknall 1961 (I think) air display, though the number of aircraft might have been a little fewer.

The Red Arrows with the Folland Gnats were preceded by the Yellow Jacks - Gnats painted all-yellow. In the late 1970s the Red Arrows changed to the Hawk, which they still fly.

There were quite a few aerobatic teams in the 1960s, featuring Hunters, Lightnings, and Jet Provosts. The Fleet Air Arm had its own with Sea Hawks and then Scimitars, and the Army had a helicopter formation team.

The photo shows me when I flew with the Red Arrers. What! You don't believe me? Would I lie to you?

Me%20and%20Gnat_zpso0jq1e6d.jpg

• Upvote 3