I would like to praise all who work at the NHS. The other night I had a problem and as my doctor's was closed I phoned 111 after asking me some question's the gent went to speak with some one else, on returning he explained that an ambulance would be with me in half an hour. When the team arrived they were very polite and very respectful  Off I went to King Mill where again I was treated with great respect, blood was taken, heart checked, blood presser monitored, X-ray of top and bottom of my body, and this was at 10-30 pm. To cut a long story short thanks I'm OK now. This week it was my neighbour's turn her doctor's also closed so I phone 111 for her again ambulance ordered  the department of 111 kept us informed what time it would arrive. I can't praise the team's who came out to us, the 111 service and the hospital staff at King's Mill Hospital Mansfield.

Well done NHS,

• Upvote 5

Well done Mary, the system does work, and I'm glad to see someone singing their praises.

I had a similar experience two weeks ago. I'd had lower back pain for several weeks, and no sign of the situation improving. I turned up at the doctors, and managed to get in almost immediately. He gave me my prescription and said I needed physiotherapy, and would refer me. The same day the physio rang me, and due to a cancellation got me in the same afternoon. I'm afraid I've not done the recommended exercises, but I'm feeling better, and am grateful for the NHS.

• Upvote 2

FLY 2

If you want to get rid of your bad back try TAI CHI I find it excellent for all kinds of mature pain that we get.

• Upvote 1

I'll look into that Mary after I've used up all the Codeine and Paracetamol.

I agree with both of you,the NHS is great and there for all of us,you went through the proper channels to get there instead of by passing the GP like some people

and there lies the problem,like everything,not following procedure will result in things not working

Rog

• Upvote 1

FLY, here's your first 'telling off' of the day!    You really should do the recommended exercises, or the doctor's and physiotherapist's precious time was wasted!  Back exercises do help to prevent a recurrence or stop a mild ache getting worse.

• Upvote 3

Phew, just done 10 minutes Margie. 10 more at lunchtime, and 10 more prior to bedtime.

• Upvote 2

I did honestly Margie, and I'll be doing another 10 minute stint in a few minutes !

• Upvote 1

Done em Margie, and I don't feel too bad. No pics though!

OK FLY, I believe you - just keep on with them every day.  But there again, I'm not your Mum, so It's up to you!!

• Upvote 1

I had reason to contact the GP surgery between Christmas and New Year, its the first time in a good few years and found out they now have a new system.

The receptionist put me through to a triage nurse, who posed several pointed questions, I had a doctors appointment within two hours. I have now visited four times this year and never waited more than fives minutes after my appointment time.

On my third weekly visit I got to meet Donna who is also the triage nurse and whilst she checked my leg I asked the question. The scheme has been running for nearly a year now and in that time they have not seen anyone with a minor cold etc. This leaves the doctors free to see people with real problems instead of handing out cough syrup and minor pain killers.

Maybe this is the answer NewBasfordLad to getting an appointment to see the GP.

I used to work at a surgery in Skegness and each month we had a meeting Nurses, GPs and all other staff. The meeting was all about getting an appointment to see GP, maybe you have come up with the answer.

Don't get it wrong though if you wanted an emergency appointment to see a GP their was always one available.

We also have a triage system at our doctors' surgery, but it's a doctor - not a nurse - who phones and they decide if you need an appointment straightaway.   About 6 months ago, I had an abdominal pain and was seen within the hour and referred for a scan.  If  it isn't urgent it's about a 3 week wait for an appointment.  

Big meal at an Italian restaurant with my youngest daughter and family...... No exercises tonight, but I'll redeem myself tomorrow !

• Upvote 1

HI When I worked at the surgery in Butlins Skegness a man came in with his daughter she had a splinter in her finger, the doctor was off duty but we still had the nurse with us, he did not want the nurse to look at it, he wanted a doctor, next he said that he was going to take his daughter to A/E. and off he went, what a waste of A/E time.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Praise I've given to our NHS now not so sure. I had a phone call from Kings Mill telling me to book in for a colonoscopy, at the time I was out and master took the call, he passed on two telephone numbers for me to call to book. One before 5 00pm and the other number for after 5 00, well as it was only 4 30 tried several times first number, no reply tried 2nd number nurse answered, app booked nurse then ask if, as I had being given on my last visit a PX for Moviprep  and would I pick it up from the chemist. Took 10mins telling her that no PX had been given, nurse promised she would send details and a pack of Moviprep in time for appointment. Letter came with all details but no Moviprep, Phoned Kings Mill again, tried again several times, nurse answered  no longer time to get pack to me, could I pick it up, or get some one else to collect it. Went to collect pack. In  the pack was all the paper work that I already had plus Moviprep. (Moviprep you can not have a colonoscopy with out this)

What a waste of Nurse's time  my time, petrol, car park charge and paper work just for wanting a PX. 

• 3 years later...

How selfish of them expecting a break in a 12hr shift. After all they are only doing an extremely pressurised job with every chance of catching a fatal virus and they are only looking after the health of all of us.

The NHS deserve Respect and the thanks from all of us.