Talk about reaching maturity,had a very strange experience tonight,met a man who i last met 50 years ago (or so i thought) saw him and thought 'no it can't be' he was exactly the same,had to ask him the question...........'you can't be who i think you are,but are you your dads double and was he a rep that sold goods to Frank Farrands and JD Marsdens back in the 60s ?................he looked astonished and answered yes to both questions...........he said you've knocked my duck off' can't believe what you've just said..............could'nt recall his Dads name but told me it was Malcolm and almost with tears in his eyes said he passed away a few years ago..........a truly strange moment that can only happen in maturity........

• Upvote 8
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last night could'nt resist a 5 minute 'kick about' with some young blokes in their 50s on an 'Astro-turf' pitch........still wearing my 3-piece suit and trimmings.........rose majestically to head the

Only joking about the 'eyelids'...........i still do a bit of excercise......at a Gym where i do some work.......plus the odd kick-about football.......and walks in Derbyshire when i push mesen.......

Mary, I think you'll find Phil's got there already!! (Like me).  But you're right, you can still have fun when you're old..... if you can ignore the aches and pains and ailments,  the slowing down of 

Long time since i'd heard it cliff-ton........but yes it was a common saying when i were a lad................

All my Bulwell family used it as an expression of surprise or shock.........as in 'Sugars gone up to 1/6 Mam''............''well you could knock me Duck off our Ben''................lol.

Never ever heard that expression!  It was always "you could have knocked me down with a feather" 

On the topic of Bus Passes.  I note that Nottm City Transport expect you to pay after 11:00 pm.  This is effectively a curfew for some folk.

Then last week I was getting a bus back from a 'gig' in Wigan, with a friend.  It was just after 11:00 p.m and my perfectly valid pass would not make the little light on the scanner go green. The bus driver just waved me on.  My friend decided to argue the point when the same happened to him.  The driver said the passes weren't valid after 11:00 pm, but waved him on too.

When we arrived back in Billinge at the bus stop outside our local.. my friend then had another go at the driver over the 11:00 rule, stating it's not mentioned on the back of the pass.  Meanwhile, a number of people we know from the local ( and all pensioners..) were left waiting to board while my mate argued the toss.  I thought it was hilarious, and shouted to him "We're home!.. stop arguing!"

I reminded my mate of this next morning when  he'd sobered up and recommended that rather than arguing with the driver, who 'vas only obeying orders', he'd be better off sinking a few pints and then going down to the local council bus pass dept. and picking a fight with them..  :)

But, he has a point.  Quoting from my Merseytravel Pass. 

'This pass is valid Monday-Friday after 9:30 am and anytime on saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays until midnight..'

Seems clear enough to me.

Any views?

Col

philmayfield  LESS OF THE OLD!!!! YOU WILL BE THERE ONE DAY.

Any way we have more fun  than the young one's:Friends:

On the subject of OAP bus passes. Nottingham City Council have never allowed OAP basses after 11pm. Some councils do but not this one, Remember someone has to fund an expensive tram system.

When I joined NCT in '74 OAP passes were valid from 9.30am - 4.pm & 7pm - 10pm M-F, NOT at anytime on Saturday & could be used anytime until 10pm Sunday.Nowadays passes are valid Saturday the same as any other day 9.30 - 11pm daily.

If any passenger argued the toss regarding out of hours OAP pass, they would either pay for the journey or walk. There is no pleasing some people.

• Upvote 1

Mary, I think you'll find Phil's got there already!! (Like me).  But you're right, you can still have fun when you're old..... if you can ignore the aches and pains and ailments,  the slowing down of body and brain, and, most of all, the fact that time mysteriously goes faster.  

Actually, I quite enjoy being older - yes really!!  I certainly wouldn't want to be a young person again in this crazy world and that isn't just 'sour grapes'.  I think my generation had a much better childhood (even though some certainly had difficulties with lack of money etc) than youngsters today who are pressured in so many ways - school results, designer clothing, the latest 'gadgets', distorted expections re self image and being forced/encouraged to grow up much too quickly.

I hope I'll still be able to say the same thing in ten years time.... lol

• Upvote 9

Well said Margie.... I feel exactly the same, and wouldn't want to be a youngster in today's world.

The majority of us on here enjoyed the best of the 60's and 70's.

• Upvote 4

Yes, back then there was a work ethic. Apart from the financial bit, being seen to be out of work was a big embarrasment to many. There are opportunities but these days, too many youngsters seem to be content being sponges.

Boredom is the blight of my life always seeking something new and finding it harder,........suppose i'm just not Mature yet...........

• Upvote 2

With regard to Bus Passes.  I am fortunate that I can if necessary pay my way on public transport, at all times of day or night.

However, I have a National Bus Pass, issued by Merseytravel. It carries the Red Rose and the Red St George's Cross logos.  As I understand it, my pass confers both the National Concession and other local concessions. Parts of the concessions I get with this bus pass are local to Merseyside. E.g., I can travel free on Mersey Ferries, the entire Merseyrail Network and also the Northern Rail Network within Merseyside and to a couple of destinations (Specifically Ormskirk and Chester), which are not in Merseyside.. and very nice it is too. :) As I understand it, the above concessions are locally arranged and funded.  This makes sense as places like Chester gain hugely from being flooded with old gits all week, spending their hard earned in the pubs, cafes, shops etc.

It is not the Merseyside concessions I am asking about. It is the National concession.

My question was to try to establish whether there is a set of National time limits on the use of Bus passes.  The journey I described ( #34) the other night was between Greater Manchester and Merseyside, on the same bus.  I am trying to establish whether bus companies are allowed to interpret the rules locally, overriding what is actually printed on the pass.

I really don't care about paying.  I care about whether the rules are interpreted differently in different areas, and whether this is within the Government Guidelines/Rules or whatever which govern the National OAP bus travel concession.

Col

I worked at the 'Coal Face' of Youth Employment from 1984 to 2013.  29 years.

There is no doubt whatever that the number and quality of employment opportunities for young people has reduced dramatically in that time.

Over that time I detected no change in the levels of ambition, commitment or energy of the young people I saw.  There always were young people who were going to 'sail through' the 'system', those who were going to meet, but overcome obstacles, those who were clueless, and those who couldn't be bothered.

Very few people indeed, even in deprived areas such as most of the Borough of Knowsley and some parts of St Helens, actually wanted to exist on 'the dole'.  Most wanted a job and most were prepared to do what it took to get one.

What did change over the same period however was the Government approach to these issues.  No Political Party or Govt. comes out of this smelling of roses.  Support for young people in the transition from compulsory schooling to employment and funding for those transitional mechanisms such as training, post compulsory education, career guidance etc., were progressively reduced from around 2001 under Labour and that process was gleefuly accellerated under the coalition and further under the present Govt.  There is now very little left, and that is why the current lot are talking about (but doing very little about) increasing training and education so that British youth can fill the void when free movement of labour ends under Brexit. In effect claiming to 'create' what they themselves destroyed.

I've tried to keep this post informative, factual and non 'party political'.  If mods object to it please delete it.

Col

I agree wholeheartedly, and I certainly hope EU workers of all capabilities are allowed to stay. I think they will.

However, the jobs that are predominantly filled by immigrants are farm labourers, and in food establishments, plus of course the professionals in the NHS. All three are jobs where honestly, politeness, cleanliness, commitment, loyalty, and dedication are paramount, and I fail to see many UK folk falling into that category.

Since retirement, I've dined out considerably more, and taken more holidays at home and abroad. I've ALWAYS be treated with respect and civility throughout Europe, but in the UK, I've been treated like a leper at times, especially in England and Wales.

Not by foreigners I might add. I've had superb service from French, Italian, Indian, Polish, Estonian, Slovakian and Lithuanian workers, but our own leave a lot to be desired ! 

Bus passes are funded by HM Govt & your local council. Local council's can chop & change the local rules to suit.

Nottm City Council only grant OAP bus passes to those of retirement age. Some councils stick to the over '60s rule instead. I believe Merseyside council do this & possible Lincolnshire too. I stand to be corrected on this.

In essence each local authority issue bus passes how they see fit.

4 hours ago, philmayfield said:

1947! You're a mere child!

Thanks.smile2

You're right about Lincolnshire Mick,I got my pass when I turned 60,only used it a couple of times here though but have used it on the park and ride in York,cost me a pound for the car parking with no charge on the bus

Rog

• Upvote 1