• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last night could'nt resist a 5 minute 'kick about' with some young blokes in their 50s on an 'Astro-turf' pitch........still wearing my 3-piece suit and trimmings.........rose majestically to head the

Only joking about the 'eyelids'...........i still do a bit of excercise......at a Gym where i do some work.......plus the odd kick-about football.......and walks in Derbyshire when i push mesen.......

Mary, I think you'll find Phil's got there already!! (Like me).  But you're right, you can still have fun when you're old..... if you can ignore the aches and pains and ailments,  the slowing down of 

Fly # 47.

I too hope that established workers ( by which I don't mean people who would rather be unemployed abroad than in their country of origin.)  throughout the EU get to stay put after the Brexit process.  There are bound to be some grey areas though, which will almost inevitably cause some issues.

In my view, a big part of the issue with Hotel, Catering and Accomodation in the UK is that they are traditionally very low paid by UK standards.  They are therefore often treated by UK based people as a last resort and therefore don't always tend to attract the most willing. I have experience of working in these fields. I have another idea, but it's really only a theory.  This country has never had a real outright revolution, in the same way as France and many other EU countries.  As a result, our class system is alive and well.  This can lead to a confusion on the part of both the customer and the service provider around the meaning of 'service'.  Some employees seem to think that giving a service makes them 'servile'.  Some customers think that those giving the service ought to be servile.  As far as I'm concerned, there is no place for servility in a modern democracy.  To illustrate, if two of us both own restaurants, then we should be able to visit each other's establishment and switch easily between the role of customer and service provider.  There should be no question of 'rank' or 'servility' involved.

When it comes to recruitment into the health professions.  I have no issue with this from a race or nationality perspective.  However, my experience in Careers showed me that there are more than enough keen and capable locally grown candidates for training.  The problem stems... again.. from Govts failing to properly provide for training those people.  As I recall, Nurse training places in the UK were typically oversubscribed by a ratio of about 5:1.

I'm getting increasingly out of touch with these issues, but a quick Google session pointed me to changes in the funding mechanism for training nurses, which makes it cheaper in the short term for the NHS to recruit ready trained people from abroad, rather than training our own.  This is a short sighted policy.  But then there is no longer anything in this country which could remotely resemble Labour Market Planning, and the institutions which used to provide the data on which it might be based ( such as a proper Careers Service) have been disposed of.  So we will no doubt continue to lurch from feast to famine and back again when it comes to the training and recruitment of Nurses, Doctors, Teachers and many other professionals on whom we depend for a decent society.

Col

Exactly! Although the 'class system ' exists in every society the world over. Even North Korea and more so just lately with ex Communist Pact countries. 

Its been the same since creation, and will NEVER alter now.

However, as long as the majority of the population are happy, I see nothing wrong with it. The so called upper classes employ an enormous amount of the so called lower classes. Just because someone has a larger house and a more more magnificent garden than I have, doesn't make them a better person.

Behind the facade of a large and luxurious home, lie similar evils and troubles that befall everyone else ! 

• Upvote 2

The majority of the population are not happy with immigration from the EU, close call I know but the majority of people who bothered to vote, voted to "leave".

Bulwell is like mini-poland ! As is Hyson Green, Radford & many other run down areas across the country.

Not a political or racist comment but, a view as I see it.

• Upvote 1

It's not so much the EU immigrants that bother me, it's the various African, Near and Middle East ones that pee me off TOTALLY.

Damn me, most aren't ex Commonwealth / Empire people anyway ! 

• Upvote 1

Watched a program on youtube last night about the biggest cycle factory in the UK hosted by Greg Wallace "Brompton cycles" you know the small wheeled folding bikes,very interesting,prices start from £750 per cycle,every one he spoke to with the exception of the two managers was not British ,is this the same in all factories in the UK?

Rog

Since everyone is supposed to go to uni it has left the young with the wrong idea about other careers and a lot of them think they are above manual labour.

I say supposed because they might go to the same building but some of the course's on offer are nothing short of a joke, and most of the poor deluded buggers will start their working life with nothing but debt.

And please don't get me started on so called apprenticeships, what a laugh an apprentice coffee maker with a posh name.

• Upvote 4

Agree 100 % NBL,...........was a time i thought UNI Graduates must be clever........not any more after working with some of the complete morons........don't knock em for not wanting manual work,i never did.......but then again never went to University either......

• Upvote 1

Ahh thats lovely Jill,........and just what my Therapist tells me..............lol.

• Upvote 2

I think that most on here have been to the University of Life in some form or other. 

Some passed with flying colours, some just made it, others dropped out, and some fell at the first hurdle. 

Of course, some didn't even bother attending !

• Upvote 5

Sad but true Fly...................when i look back i think 'did i really do that'........what a plonker............but then i think 'yes i did it was great'...........but yes again i was a 'plonker'..........lol.

• Upvote 1

One can be a plonker and still do great things. 

Very complex issues being reduced to one liners by some.  As an old boss of mine would say.  'No names.. no Pack Drill'

I'm out.

Col

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Very complex issues being reduced to one liners by some.  As an old boss of mine would say.  'No names.. no Pack Drill'

I'm out.

Col

Hmm.  Quoting myself.  First sign of madness...  :wacko:

Anyway, just wanted to apologise to all for the tone of the above.  I know what I was trying to say.. but I was.. let's say..  a little 'tetchy' last night.

imsorry

Col

• Upvote 1

Last night could'nt resist a 5 minute 'kick about' with some young blokes in their 50s on an 'Astro-turf' pitch........still wearing my 3-piece suit and trimmings.........rose majestically to head the ball that skimmed the cross-bar.....trouble was me glasses flew off and teeth fell out........and on landing twisted me ankle and fell over...........maturity getting nearer..........and think ive done summat to me back..........

• Upvote 12

Excellent !!!!!

Benjamin 1945 I guess that they won't pick you for next match.

• Upvote 1

68  Judging by the number of likes it looks like many were amused by your misfortunes Ben.  Hope you didn't step on your teeth.  That really would be a miscombobulation.  (referring to an earlier topic.)

• Upvote 1

I'd never be amused by Ben's misfortunes.  But his descriptions are hilarious.  :)

• Upvote 3

Has anyone taken up the governments company pension offer of a lump sum of 25% tax free? I am looking at that at the moment,if successful it will pay off the remains of my mortgage (three final payments) plus a fair bit left over,I couldn't take advantage of this offer when it first came out because the company I worked for said they wouldn't do it while I was employed by them,things have changed somewhat now and I just want to tie up all the loose ends so we can get on with the rest of our lives with no worries

Rog