Welcome Peter ,

Could it have been "First"-Avenue ?

Just looked at a garden for sale in 1905 and the address was "B155 , First Avenue ,Wells Rd " it was £5 !!!

Another advert says "First Avenue" and in brackets (Windmill Lane).

Alternatively..........based on the fact that you say it was opposite Hendon Rise, back in the 1920s there were allotments on the opposite side of Wells Road road in an area named Woodlane Gardens; and that name has been preserved in a present-day road.  On this map there are several "roads" going into the allotments but none of them are named. Your gt grandad might've lived in one of the shed/cottages marked.

woodlane_zps5wdvslsp.jpg

Yes thats just what wanted. Went down there last saturday with dad whose 85. He believed it was opposite Hendon Rise. Drove up it myself  in the late 60s when I used to work saturdays at Sheperds Race garage for uncle mark. Didnt realise at the time it been an important family home. Listed as next of kin address on 2 ww1 war records and 2 births in the family. Yes it was a small hut and he had more than one alotment their from which he made his living. Moved there after the 1901 census. Not shown anywhere for 1912. Died there around 1937 as did his wife. Must have been a lovely quiet place back then. Think I will try the nottm archives. Many thanks.

Details from the online newspaper archives but it's a subscription site .