I loved our wall.  Whenever I see one like it, I always think of my mum and dad and what used to be my home...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had a delve back through som old pix   This one is outside the shop- my mum is on the right- I'm not sure who the others are- although I suspect the old guy is Grandad Gilbert  

Thank you!    Chris Gilbert was a baker and confectioner. However, it all began years before my grandmas time. I remember grandma telling me that Christopher and his wife Mary lived in the o

This photo has recently surfaced, showing the Mapperley Tea Gardens. Amazing to think that this is now the site of the Co-op on Mapperley Top. The name C. Gilbert has obviously been hand-drawn in, pro

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, MargieH said:

I loved our wall.  Whenever I see one like it, I always think of my mum and dad and what used to be my home...

Funnily enough, a Mapperley Park neighbour has some Bulwell Stone they’re giving away. Probably not enough to build a wall though! 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

There comes an age when you say to yourself 'do I really want a garden?':biggrin:

Post corrected...

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Just joined this site after seeing a link to  Mapperley Tea Gardens, (aka Gilbert Tea Rooms) mentioned on Facebook.  I lived on Woothorpe Drive from 1950 until I left Nottingham in1972 and remember attending dancing classes at Gilbert Tea Rooms.  I also attended a Nottingham High School dance there in 1960, wearing my mother's white stilettos!  Other places I remember well are Allingtons and Baileys the Greengrocers.  Twigdons the newsagent opposite to the top of Woodthorpe Drive was where my mother used to send me to buy a block of ice cream wrapped in newspaper and Judges the baker was where I was sent to buy bread.  It never arrived home in one piece!  I always stuck my fingers in the end!  Happy memories of living in Nottingham.

• Like 3

@Tessa P  Welcome to Nottstalgia, Tessa.  Our paths may well have crossed as I also lived on Woodthorpe Drive until I married in 1966.    I was 7 in 1950.   Did you have a brother called Nigel... your first name rings a bell with me.

Tessa, you are obviously not the one I was thinking of :faint:but never mind...  

I was at 67,  nearly opposite the first entrance to the park.  Did you go in there much when you were a teenager?

Not so much as a teenager, much more when I was younger, playing on the swings, falling off the slide and collecting conkers!  Our house was nextdoor to the brickyard, near Coronation Road.  My mother moved from there to Longridge Road, Woodthorpe, in the late 1970s but still loved visiting the park until she died age 101!  We scattered her ashes there.

We must have seen each other because my mum often took me in the park when I was  little.  I also played in the dell - did you?   That was when there were stone tunnels and steep rockeries we used to climb up - it's very different now.... much more open.    So your house was the one with the tree in the pavement outside?   They must have missed out some numbers as there aren't 23 houses between yours and ours.  Perhaps they were thinking of building more along the side of the brickyard years ago?   That brickyard is a big recreation area now.   I used to play in there as well, when the trucks were still in action!

My husband and I have showed our kids where, in the park, we want to be scattered.....

• 5 months later...
On 12/27/2017 at 8:49 PM, mikede said:

Just had a delve back through som old pix

This one is outside the shop- my mum is on the right- I'm not sure who the others are- although I suspect the old guy is Grandad Gilbert

grnma.JPG

Girl in the middle looks like my mum, Christine Gilbert. Her mum was Emmeline Gilbert, they had a bakery in Nottingham, not sure of all the connections though.

Welcome Gus .

On the 1939 Register living at 18 Florence Rd are 

1)Christopher Gilbert born 1900 a bakers roundsman.

2)Emmeline Gilbert born 1902 . 

The name Gilbert is crossed out and Lloyd inserted , assume she remarried ?

3) Christine Gilbert born 1928 at school.

4 ) name blanked out.

• Like 1

Thanks for this - Emmeline (my grandmother) used to talk about Florence Road and had fond memories of Nottingham. She reached 100 having remarried as you surmise. Extraordinary to come across this photo of my mother, who is no longer with us. Her brother Chris was born around this time and is very much around.

• 2 months later...

My mum lived on Porchester road as a small girl & told me that my grandfather would take her for a walk on a Sunday to Mapperley plains where they would stop & have an ice cream in a place with “ pillars that had twists like barley sugar” this would have been around 1930-40 does anyone know the place & what is there now please? Sue

Welcome Sue Neale. The place your mum described could have been the Mapperley Tea Gardens; maybe you've already seen the photo of the place earlier in this thread (May 2019). It only shows the front entrance, but there might have been "pillars that had twists like barley sugar" further back. There wouldn't have been much else there in those days.

• 4 months later...

I was borne in 1942 and lived on either both Westdale Lane and Kenrick Road. The flat bit near Westdale Lane. My Grandparents owned a butchers shop call Rogers. It was next door to a shop I think was called Haslams.

I remember the Mapperley Tea Gardens but I think it was colloquially call Gilberts. They used to have dances and I remember going to parties as a child.

I was searching for the Southern Bank Nursing Home where I was born but it does not appear to exist. Can any one please help with any details.

I was a scout in the 105th scout group but I couldn't find any information on that either. I went to Walter Halls School, Then for a short time at St Margaret's in West Bridgeford and then Huntingdon Street. I always intended thanking my teachers for their help but was never able to locate them. Names I remember were Hufton, Petty, Hales, Spungin, Keys. 

If any can help with any information I would be grateful

1 hour ago, Nicko1 said:

I was searching for the Southern Bank Nursing Home where I was born but it does not appear to exist. Can any one please help with any details.

Do you have any idea where that was ?  Presumably somewhere in the Mapperley area ?

Here ya go ! Advert from 1942 , there are hundreds of mentions of the home in the Births Deaths and Marriages columns between 1939 and 1948

CAPABLE and kind person to be with a sick lady nightly. — Southern Bank Nursing Home, 70 and 72 Mapperley-road, Nottingham.  
23 November 1942 - Nottingham Evening Post 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Nicko1 said:

My Grandparents owned a butchers shop call Rogers. It was next door to a shop I think was called Haslams.

I used to be sent on errands by my mum to that butchers, and to Haslams grocers and Windales bakery, all located together at the junction of Westdale Lane and Roseleigh Avenue.

None of them are there any more.

Hi Mike, 

I have just been reading through your posts and it has dawned on me that you’re Joyce’s son! I’m Rene and Bill’s granddaughter Emma (Clive’s daughter). The photos you posted are fabulous. I have only ever seen one picture of Christopher Gilbert but Grandma told me so many wonderful stories about him. If you have any more pictures including ones of my Grandma it would mean so much to see them. I have never seen a picture of Grandma when she was young! I hope you are all keeping well. 
Best Wishes, Emma 

12 hours ago, ELitch said:

Hi Mike,   I have just been reading through your posts and it has dawned on me that you’re Joyce’s son! I’m Rene and Bill’s granddaughter Emma (Clive’s daughter).

Welcome to Nottstalgia ELitch.

I think you're referring to posts made by mikede. He hasn't logged in here since October 2018 so you may not get any response, but if you have any information on the subject of Mapperley Tea Gardens we'd like to hear it.

This may have nothing to do with the price of fish, however, in 1910 a Mrs Harriet Bull ran a dining and refreshment rooms on Haywood Road. She was also a tobacconist. Meanwhile, a Christopher Gilbert was a confectioner at Holly Mount, Woodborough Road.