Had a couple of years there myself between quarrying jobs,must say I enjoyed the work (frame welder) bought back some good memories,thanks for posting

Rog

• Upvote 1

Very interesting video when the film was made in the 60s my father/and 3 uncles worked at Raleigh also 2 cousins and my sister in law. My sister did the twilight shift at the time Raleigh worked 3 shifts morning afternoon evenings plus twilight.

What other jobs were their in the 60s Player's Plessey,  Boots, Pits, and many more, in fact you could leave a job on a Friday night and start a new job Monday morning.

But I'm sure most members can remember the job's of the 60s.

Excellent film. Took me back. 21 and 26 minutes into film showed the press shop where I worked ten year earlier.  The young lad on the fly-press was probably operating the same one as I did - stamping sprocket blanks before the teeth were cut. 

I'm going to come back later and watch that properly.  Looks very interesting...

Col

Thanks Michael I found this really interesting. I left school in the early 60s jobs available to me then were The pit, Boots,Players and Raleigh. My stepdad worked at Raleigh at this time and thankfully guided me away from it having seen this I'm glad he did so I chose the Navy the rest as they say is history

Does anyone know the identity of the female personnel officer? She looks very familiar for some reason.

I only knew one person who worked at The Raleigh and that was Leslie John Morley, born 1920, died 1976 with still 9 years to go until retirement. He was a lovely man and worked, I believe, in the packing department. It must have been a boring job. For some reason, he had not served an apprenticeship as my father had and was not regarded as a skilled worker. Slightly older than my father,Les had served in the Royal Navy, aboard The Ark Royal among other ships, during WW2.

He and his wife were good friends of my parents. Les lived at Clifton and cycled to work every day.

It would be handy if we knew what the bridge went over. A river, or railways line. I don't recognise it at all, must have been somewhere in the City, was the boy walking from his house to his interview? He said he went to Manvers on Carlton Rd. I'm stumped!

That picture looks to be a lot older than the film.

looking at the picture it vaguely looks like the alms houses near to QMC, I know that the river leen runs close by so I  wonder if there was an older bridge there before the QMC was built.

The personnel officer at the Raleigh for years was miss/mrs Jenkins (I think). The bridge looks like it is over a disused railway - is that part of a station building shown just before the bridge, with  a line going around the other side?

You can't necessarily trust the continuity in films. 

Remember the famous sequence in 'Saturday Night Sunday Morning' where Albert Finney comes out of his house on Salisbury Street....and then is immediately running down Derby Road to catch a bus.

Going back to the Raleigh film, the boy crosses a footbridge over a railway line which is down between high brick walls, similar to the one which used to be at the bottom end of Porchester Road, over the old Suburban line.

Yes, it does look like the old Thorneywood Station. I missed the Manvers School reference. Porchester Rd with Thorneywood House visible opposite?

Oops no, corner of Burgass Rd/Thorneywood Lane. The derelict goods building next to the bridge can be seen here, bottom pic....

http://www.forgottenrelics.co.uk/routes/nottsub.html