Just bought one a few weeks ago.  £50 from Argos and made by Gardman.  Approx 3x2 feet and made of timber with polycarbonate double skinned lights with a UV coating on the outside.  Easy to assemble too.

When I got it home I had two right side panels which meant that although they would all assemble together OK, one would not have the UV coating on the outside as designed.  Quick phone call to Gardman and a new, 'left hand' panel arrived in the post a couple of days later.  Was told to keep the 'redundant' panel, which I can put on a few bricks as a sort of 'micro' cold frame for other stuff later.

This cold frame is just a stop gap while I debate the acquisition of a Greenhouse with Mrs Col, but it should be handy eitherway.

Last year I bought 20 Ixias and 20 Sparaxis which are not quite hardy summer flowering bulbs.  Planted some  few years back and forgot them.  Never saw a thing intil a couple of years later when a single Sparaxis peeped apologetically from behind a fuschia, offered about three flowers then promptly expired....

So, despite me only planting the Sparaxis and Ixias late January, rather than the recommended Sept/Dec.. they are all now happily sprouting in the coldframe... 5 to a pot.  I'm hoping for  nice little show from them.

Should also be able to give my beans and Toms a bit of a start.

Col

• 2 weeks later...

DJ360: If you are considering a greenhouse and have enough money, may I recommend a "Rhino" greenhouse.  I have had mine (8ftx10ft) for some years now and it is brilliant.  When I was erecting it I had it half glazed and a big storm blew up.  I made the mistake of not bolting it down before fitting the glass and as a result the structure was blown off its mounting in the storm.  Unbelievably, there was no damage to either structure or glass.  A couple of winters ago we  had a 100+mph gale before I had removed the automatic vent openers for the winter.  The doors were not properly closed and wind got in and lifted the heavy, three pane vent windows on the roof.  They were blown right over the ridge bar and shattered two of the three panes of glass.  The ridge bar was twisted beyond use but a phone call to Rhino brought spares within a couple of days.

Rhino are certainly tough and will last forever with very little maintenance.  The structure is solid and the glass is armoured.

ghd-siteHeaderTeaBreak.png

• Upvote 1

Thanks for that Compo.

I reckon I have space for about 4'x6' or maybe 6'x6'.. Nothing more.  My brother manages to get huge quantities of Toms and Cucumbers out of a similar size, along with a few peppers etc. That, and the overwintering of a few tender plants is about all I need.  I definitely need toughened glass as I have Grandkids. 

Many seemingly decent enough huses of these sizes seem to be available for between about £300 and £700, depending on make, glazing etc.

Similar sized Rhino models seem to be about 50% more, which isn't out of the question.  (I've always believed in buying quality), but I need yo have a bit more of a think.

I think somebody in another thread quoted about £3k for a new greenhouse.  I don't think that's necessary and if I had that much to spare it would go on my hi-fi...  It's about priorities.:)

Col

• Upvote 1

My only advice about a green hose would be as big as you can fit in, what ever your intensions now they will change when you get one.

Rhino are one of the best makes around a couple of gardening mates have them but they are damned expensive.

• Upvote 1

Rhino are expensive but you will only ever need to by one once.  Others constantly need re-glazing or new aluminium frame parts.  My Rhino has lasted throughout many hurricane force winds and several far north winters without any noticeable deterioration in frame condition.  Yes, they are initially expensive but in the long run probably cheaper.

NBL suggested that you buy as big as you can and I fully agree.  I bought an 18'x24' polytunnel and now wish I had bought one double that size.  You can never have a greenhouse or tunnel that is too big.

• Upvote 2