A few minutes ago our door bell rang,I went to the door(chain on of course) a young lad stood there saying something like 'I call earlier'.

Yes our doorbell did ring about 7 pm,but I wasn't expecting anyone ,so ignored it.

This time I said no thank you and shut the door.

He then stood at the end  of our drive and removed a white apron he had been wearing,some writing on it which I couldn't read in the dark. ,and pulled his hood up.

Ha Ha I thought,this is the same lad I saw when I was waiting for the bus at 2-30. 

I thought he looked suspect then,he was going up to every house along the road ,he must have been out for some hours.

Anyone seen him in your area?

• Upvote 1

Not seen that particular chap Crankypig but this evening we had another one ring the door bell, sticking a card right up to my face stating "Back to Work" or something similar and stuttering a few words to me.  I told him I was sorry but I was having my dinner and closed the door.  He didn't appear to be carrying the normal hold-all full of oven gloves, dusters, ironing board covers which I always feel compelled to buy, just to be pleasant in case they're 'casing the joint'.  Glad we've got a dog that barks at any little sound anyway. 

• Upvote 2

I've bought stuff in the past, but always back chat to an imaginary person in the front room if I'm alone. 

Just in case he has an accomplice with him.

• Upvote 1

We have them too but instead of trying to sell they say they are looking for ...so and so family. We are in the country in just a small group of houses. We all have dogs, well nearly all. But whilst you are explaining that there is no one by that name or you dont know where they live, they are slowly taking in their surroundings. There are often breakins around us including my daughter, who actually heard a piece of metal drop early morning. They had taken the centre out of the lock. She had the habit of not closing her shutters but now she does. They didnt take anything but had gone into all cupboards and drawers. Other houses in the area the same night had had their fridges raided and bottles of wine either drunk or were missing. This usually happens before Christmas or if there are any festivities in the village and also for the vendemmia, grape harvest. When extra communitari are employed. We know its going to happen so we are more careful how we conduct ourselves. 

When anyone rings the bell I answer with the intercom although I can see who it is from my kitchen window.

If they happen to open the gate and enter into the courtyard they get told they are trespassing . And I have a rifle if necessary.:rotfl:I'm a good shot.smile2

You cant be too careful.

Kentucky?  This lot dahn 'ere would call you a Yankee.    :biggrin:. They still don't like Yankee's here.  Still fighting the civil war, they are. Lol.

If somebody is hard to get along with I don't know how many times I've heard my Southern wife say, "It's because he / she's a Yankee. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

thought Kentucky was considered south. When I was there I could listen to it all day. Have a penfriend there we are still in contact after 60 yrs now. 

It is well South, Nonna.  Probably about 300 miles north of us.  A bit like Tennessee, the next state north of us.  Folks fought on both sides of the civil war there.  Tragic situation when sometimes brother ended up fighting brother.