Is this really Babbington pit?

Col,

When we worked at the lab there was a road at a higher level to the lab road behind the car park, there were houses on the oposite side to the lab, that was "The Cliff". The lab was never the cliff, I see from the Google Maps that the whole area ha been redeveloped. The large old house was owned by the NCB and used from time to time as offices. The Lab was where the new houses are.

Traditionally coal was loaded into railway wagons at the pit. A "Landsale" was where coal was loaded onto lorries and transported by road.

There was a Landsale at Babbington also Newcastle Wharf was a Landsale. Other important Landsales near Nottingham were at Bestwood and at Mapperley Wharf which served Gedling colliery.

John,

When the NCB was set up each area had a "Area Central Workshop", Bestwood was one, Moorgreen was No.5 Area,s workshop and I vaguely recall one at Duckmanton nr Chesterfield. Later the workshops were operated nationally. The largest was at Tredomen South Wales, that operated as Tredomen Engineering Ltd and also did outside work. Another large workshop was at Manvers Yorkshire.

Bentinck training centre belonged to No.4 Area, when South Notts was formed Bentinck became part of South Notts then the training centres were rationalised, Bedntinck being "a long life pit".

The NCB was a large thing when it was set up in 1947. They even ran public passenger trains in Northumberland!

Brian.

Thanks Brian. Excellent information as usual.

Below..

Another shot of Bestwood Headstocks I took in May 2011

Col

And one here taken from the edge of the Big Wood

21152945550_0777fc53a4_c.jpg

• Upvote 1