Yes at last I admit it I am a long term Lurker, I have been for at least 2years, I lived on Bestwood estate from aged 7 to 19,and like a well dressed man from there I wear a tie, but mine is round me waste , wife not buy me a new one as I might not live long enough to get me monies worth. I learnt a lot of things about Nottingham from this site , many thanks. I also now know what not to do, stand I front so somebody in the food queue for fear of me life, complain about cats for fear of verbal abuse and not to mention my favourite topic cos I get banned. So I try and stick to my favourite city Nottingham. Finally for now I wont tell Benjamin my name as I think he is 2 years older than and I have 7 sisters 5 of them older than me and I don't want to know.

• Upvote 5
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gem, I'm afraid I sometimes dip in and out of the forum several times a day and I often multitask by watching TV at the same time!   Of course there are lots of days when I have to do other stuff but

Oh go on then........i suppose its in the right thread ''Confessions''........there were myself and two other blokes from Nottingham........one chap was called Shorty he was about 6ft 4in........and t

Gem, I have just read your post  above, and realise it may seem to newcomers to the site that we all know each other well but I think that must be because a few of us are regular posters and have got

Welcome Trogg, Your sisters are safe, our benj is a true gentleman, what else could he be, donned in his Liberty Bodice, Silk Tie and Hanky in his pocket.:) I'm sure you will enjoy NS, you will be among good company.:)

• Upvote 1

Welcome trogg, you'll enjoy it here !

Ey up Trogg,.......nice to have an Old Bestwood boy on here,far as i know there's only me and one other.........i was born on Leybourne and moved all the way to Andover road when i was two,lived there up to 1968,.........did you go to Whipple and Padstow schools?..........

I went to whipple but not to padstow wish I did because I missed out not knowing a lot of the locals, only the ones near bye my elder brother Roger  and a couple of my sisters went to Padstow so I heard a lot of stories about it. I knew Les Worral very well. I bet that's got you worried.

Saw Les about 3 years ago..........good lad........used to work at Marsdens and Gibsons with his brother Frank.............got a picture on the Bestwood estate thread with me and Les in Whipples football team,.....Les is a year older than me,......don't know if youve seen the thread on Bestwood..........bet one of your Sisters is on one of the school photo's i posted.......c'mon you got me right curious........and take no notice of Lizzie..........lol.

• Upvote 1

Trogg just realised, what you meant about being worried about Les,......he was a 'Court officer' for a long time at  ,..Nottingham Magistrates, and yes our paths crossed a few times down there........lol.

think he was a Fireman before that,

don't worry Benj I never knew les from bestwood estate only know him from his time on the fire brigade and as a Union official, but I might have to look him up to find out your secrets. Yes I am shy and reserved all bestwood boys are known for that, amongst other things.

• Upvote 1

Hello trogg, I think I'm going to enjoy reading your memories!  Like Sue, I wonder how you managed to be just a lurker for 2 years...

many thanks for the welcome , I stayed a lurker because after reading all the post over a long period I thought I could not be able to offer much more to the knowledge held on this site, but when there was uncertainty over the NCB xray site I remembered as a 15 year old walking up the tree lined drive asking the others whats an xray. I found out over time if you want to know where a street is that been demolished for years just ask and in a short time some one will supply a map others will tell tales of the street and often or not a photograph will be supplied,  I  have been mesmerised by the tales of manning school and the tea of pythagoras.So I thought at last I am able to help and came out the closet and signed up.

• Upvote 5
4 hours ago, MargieH said:

Hello trogg, I think I'm going to enjoy reading your memories!  Like Sue, I wonder how you managed to be just a lurker for 2 years...

Margie, like trogg I lurked for a long time mainly because everyone seemed to know each other,  also thought that I would have nothing to offer that would interest anyone else.   Still not a prolific poster but try to check in at least every couple of days.

• Upvote 1

Gem, I'm afraid I sometimes dip in and out of the forum several times a day and I often multitask by watching TV at the same time!   Of course there are lots of days when I have to do other stuff but rarely a day goes by without my having a look to see what everyone's up to!  I hate to think I'm missing out on anything !!....... this sounds as though I don't have much of a life, but on NS I feel I'm talking to friends and that's very important to me.  Some people have met each other in person since joining NS so I suppose it could feel to 'guests' that  we all know one another,  but it's always good  to get to know even more people who are interested in Nottingham and can share their memories.   There are several people who post on here who are happy to never meet up personally - and that's fine, too.   You never know when one of your memories will strike a chord with someone else so please keep on posting because we all have something to offer x

• Upvote 10

Gem, I have just read your post  above, and realise it may seem to newcomers to the site that we all know each other well but I think that must be because a few of us are regular posters and have got comfortable with each other, which I think is nice. I'm pretty sure that you and our other new member trogg will very soon have that same comfort.

Some of us do get together now and then, but as Margie says some of us will never meet, but NS has bought us together to enjoy our memories and experiences through life. We always need new members, and even if you learn more from other peoples posts than you feel you post yourself, that's OK, so long as you enjoy yourself on NS, that's good.

My Laptop is tuned in to NS all day and again like Margie I am in and out of the site all day, I can't imagine what I did in my relaxing time before I discovered it (probably housework Oh no, How boring). Anyway Miducks, I hope you both enjoy yourselves with us all on NS now you have taken the plunge.

I know, I know......I'm rambling again. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 7

A belated welcome to Trogg from another Bestwood lad.  ( Also a couple of years younger than Benjamin)

I lived on Southglade from about 1951/2 until I left Nottm around 1970 ish..  My late Mum and Dad were there until much later.  My Sister lived on Leybourne until her passing a few years ago and my Brother in Law is still there.

I'm afraid I can't compete with Benjamin when it comes to remembering people, but I have very fond memories of lots of aspects of Bestwood life in the 'Golden' era ;)

Looking forward to your contributions Trogg.

Col