G'day Mite,

I was just watching Coro[yes we can get it here on satellite] & they were tucking into fish & chips & I was wondering what you expats out there miss most about good old English food.

I miss.........

real potato chips with mushy peas or curry sauce on top or both!

crispy batter on the fish & those little batter bits we used to get for free when we were kids[little did we know they were adding to our cholesterol overload!]

pigs chitterlings with brown vinegar & Hovis bread, can you still get them I wonder? there was a Polish butcher on Hyson green who used to sell them as late as the 80's & also Pork Farms pork pie the best ever,I could get a pork pie when I lived in Western Australia but just not the same, & Christmas just isn't Christmas without them. I also remember milk loaf & Lurpak butter yum! I would love to hear what you expats miss about living in the Meadows & Nottingham if anything?

Ciao

Caz

pigs chitterlings with brown vinegar & Hovis bread, can you still get them I wonder? there was a Polish butcher on Hyson Green who used to sell them as late as the 80's & also Pork Farms pork pie the best ever, I could get a pork pie when I lived in Western Australia but just not the same, & Christmas just isnt Christmas with out them.I also remember milk loaf & Lurpak butter yum! 

Hello Caz. PM me and i will send over a food parcel LOL.

Yes still get all your favourites and more, what about Scatchings, Battenburg cake, Crumpets with lashings of Lurpack on.

English Bitter, Shipstones best Bitter, Home Ales all Sadly gone now.

They still make Pork Farms Pork Pies in Nottingham, you can wiff them for miles around.

I use to work for Imperial Tobacco before i retired, well the smell first thing in the morning on my way to work use to make me feel ill more so when you had an empty stomach and even more so when you had been on the beer the night before

post-34-1099474358_thumb.jpg

Yes please I'll have most of the above ........just in time for crimbo!!!

LOL

Caz

There used to be a small bakery on Woodborough Road just around the corner from Huntingdon Street in the late 50's early 60's that had hot fresh bread. The owner was an Irishman and his missus. We used to spend out daily spending money on a laof of crust bread, or hot buttered mini Hovis's on the way to school!!! Hmmmmm I think it was called O'Shea's bakery, "bin" many years now!

John

"Err" can you remember in the early 50's after sugar rationing had ceased, me Mam would tek me all over looking for Fry's Crunchies. As soon as shops stocked up on 'em they'd sell out!!

Then there were some confectionary that Lyons brought out, they were in about three different flavours, in the late 50's I don't recall the name of them, but they melted in your mouth, soft and in mint, strawberry and another flavour, something like large Bon Bons. For some reason they weren't on the market very long.

John

Don't want to upset you but I must be younger than you Ayupmeducks, I don't remember any of them!! :P

Caz

"Err" can you remember in the early 50's after sugar rationing had ceased, me Mam would tek me all over looking for Fry's Crunchies. As soon as shops stocked up on 'em they'd sell out!!

John

ANUVVER!

What image did the Fry's Chocolate advert of the 1950s feature?

Don't want to upset you but I must be younger than you Ayupmeducks, I don't remember any of them!! :P

Caz

Won't hold it agin yers Caz :D :D

I'm 1947vintage BTW

John

• 4 years later...

Eat it ......... Yummie

That and the pastry are the best part.

Can' find a decent one nowadays though. I always visit the local butcher whereever I am on me travels just to see what his Pork Pie is like and also to see if he has any decent, spicy sausage.

Most sausage these days are sh**e

Incedently , did you know that the jelly is pumped into pork pies after they have been cooked?? Until I worked there I was under the impression that it came out of the meat !!!

Much Discussion in these forums about the demise of pork farms pies. Originally the best in the country.

Christmas would not be the same unless you bought a very large one. I think Ian got me some on discount in the 80's?

Now I would not give you 2p for a pork farms pie. The last one I had, I ate the meat and thew the rest away.

The Coop used to do a very good pie (1960's) out of their scruffy old pork factory in the Meadow Lane Complex.

Late 60's early 70's, production moved to S.P.U. (aptly named) Sausage Production Unit, Ascot Road Long Eaton.

Special Sausage was either Tomato or Boston Sausage (produced in the style of The Boston Coop, taken over by Nottm Coop in the 1970's.)

Last week I took our girl up to her job as an assistant, at http://www.cyrilsnuthut.co.uk/

Only to find that Cyril's Nut Hut, was a a rejuvenated SPU!

Perhaps Cyril might make a better job of the Coop pies than whoever produces them today?

• 11 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Things I will never miss: Shippos beer, snow turned to sludge, weak coffee. I do miss Marmite, although since COVID has stopped my yearly stock up, I have discovered "Ourmate" here in Oz - it actually is Marmite! Now all is well in the world. Maybe I do miss Yorkshire Fish and Chips and a curry in Yorkshire or from that place down in Sherwood. Bum like the Japanese flag after that one. And I do miss a pint at the Trip and a go at getting the ring on the horn (not a euphemism).

I must admit marmite is the last thing I would miss, everyone to their own I suppose. 

The other day my wife asked if she could nave a taste of my marmite on crumpet... Well I've never seen anyone make such a fuss for a long time, she carried on as though she'd been poisoned, I laughed like a drain...

Vegemite is a good substitute, if you can't get Marmite. Lovely on toast with cheese on top.

Vegemite, disgusting stuff, only good for putting in the dust caps of the trailer bearings.

The stuff is around 8.6% salt. High blood pressure alert

We tried it with our kids, they took one lick and put it in the bin