Those of us who started school in the late 40's / early 50's were taught cursive handwriting but just when we had perfected this script the style was changed to what I believe was called "Marion Richardson". This threw my writing style into the jumble it is today. But who writes anyway now - letters of condolence perhaps but that's about all?Does anyone recollect the change of writing style?

• Upvote 1

I remember that. When I mention it to friends no one has ever never heard of it, I was beginning to think I'd dreamt it. We had to change from a slight 'italic' style with loops etc to the Marion Richardson style which was straight up and down and no loops.

• Upvote 1

I remember starting secondary school in 58 and we were compelled to have pen and write italics ,I never could master it, it took too long, so my hand writing is disgraceful , I can still remember the helpful " advice" given to me regularly by my teachers.

• Upvote 1

I remember being taught cursive handwriting but can't remember having to change it to something else.  When I started at secondary school I was still writing like this but then I started experimenting with different styles myself.  I actually found I could write fluently in several styles of writing, and although I can still do this, most of the time I write in a kind of upright italic.

I also remember the teachers giving some kids a hard time because they were left handed and tried to make then use their right.

Started school in 1950.  Once we had been taught cursive handwriting I don't remember ever having to change it in any way.  I guess my writing was more practical than artistic, but I got by.  We were never allowed to use ballpoints, which were just becoming popular.  Always those horrible scratchy things with an inkwell in the desk.  It was hard to make a good impression with them.

I've always prided myself on good handwriting, but since retirement, I'm afraid I've become somewhat lacksidasical. 

Being a Leftie'..........School handwriting with them bleddy Nibs was very hit and miss.......thankfully at secondary School we could use our own 'Fountain Pens'.......which made it much easier and eventually my Handwriting was fairly good..........and like someone mentioned don't need to write alot nowadays...........but having this thing called 'Essential tremor'......i'm back to square one,now take a Pill for it but not really helping now....think i need to increase the strength of em............simple things like filling a form in........looks like a 3 old wrote it....ive mentioned before Eating garden Peas is a nightmare........lol

• Upvote 1

I'm a lefty Ben, but I had some special nibs from that book / stationery shop that was once called Dylan's.

I can't remember the previous name. 

• Upvote 1

Did'nt know you could get special Nibs Fly...........i found using my own 'Fountain Pen'......it somehow adopted to my 'Keggyness''

I preferred my own fountain pen too,  but they were a bu66er if it was in your trouser pocket, and you sat down awkwardly and broke it ! 

At my first school we had a small blackboard and chalk. Later we had dip pens and there were two nib types. A pointed one  producing very thin lines that scratched and dug into the paper. A 'square' tip that made thick/thin lines depending how you used it. I preferred the square type for writing and the pointed one for throwing and sticking in the ceiling tiles.

And I was an ink monitor so there! :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

REF' Inkwells.............was never one for pulling pranks on other Pupils..........but did like a laugh at School...........we sat in rows of 3 in class,......3 girls then 3 boys...........the girls behind me in 2a.....were Ann Draper..Marilyn Baxter...and Dianne Wilson.....and i was pretending to throw Ink all over em but the Ink-well was empty...at first they got mad..but then just laughed..........then i did a 'Dastardly act'........and swopped the  empty Ink-well for a full one,and when the lad sitting next to me came back from the toilet,.......told him to do the pretend throwing,.........oh dear what a mess........girls crying......rest of the class laughing....poor lad think his name was Alan Millward..........he tried to tell the Teacher it was my fault.........but Teacher was having none of it................poor lad........sorry Alan............

• Upvote 3

You cad, Ben! Those poor girls!

I pulled a few naughty stunts at Berridge but the teachers never believed it was me because I was the serious, studious type!

Little did they know!  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

All three of the girls......Ann......Marilyn......and Dianne were lookers.....and all 3 refused to date me after school days.............lol.

We had to have the chiselled nibs as we had to hold them at an angle to get the thick and thin lines as we wrote. I permanently had an inky forefinger throughout senior school. Oh the joy of owning  my first fountain pen. Ioved to fill it by lifting the lever to suck up the ink. That was about the most technology I had to deal with. LOL.

• Upvote 1

Jill Sparrow! how so very dare you! Moi, playing tricks on girls? Moi with the blonde cherubic looks and butter wouldn't melt?

No miss it weren't me 'onest.

• Upvote 1

Brought back a memory of a neighbour when I was a child.  She was bragging about her niece (she didn't have kids of her own). Just one sentence which was repeated many times in our house, making us all laugh, "She's on ink nah".  Sounds stupid now that a little comment caused such hilarity.

Wonder if she's writing 'joined up' yet? 

• Upvote 1

I'm a keen fan of the programme 'Heir Hunters' which is on in a morning, but I record it for watching at night when there's nothing much on. I'm absolutely amazed at the birth certificates which have the most amazingly beautiful handwriting done with those crabby little wooden pens. Some real skill there !