The article in the Post refers to the Woodlark pub, whereabouts on Lower Parliament street was it ?, anywhere opposite where Machine Mart is now ? Anyone ?.........

Well I'm certain that Cliff will definitely inform us, complete with pictures and map references when he HOPEFULLY returns !

Certainly lots of caves in Nottm!

I don't know much about them or the current state of research, but it seems that in the older areas of the City it was normal practice to dig about in the sandstone to make space.

When I worked in the Coal Board Labs in Cinderhill about 50 years ago.. there was a lad there who told me he had some sort of involvement with researching the caves.  However, it is one word which I recall.  He told me that there were these semi-mythical 'beasts', which were supposed to inhabit the caves.  They would creep about behind you and never be seen.  ;)

They were called.. and I don't know the spelling..  'Chickleumphants'.

I'm just wondering if they are still about.. or are they extinct?

Col

I have been in lots of the caves around the centre, they were favourite places to stick  electrical sub stations, The weirdest thing I've ever seen down there is under York house where radio Nottingham used to be.  Dr Who Cybermen suits. On TV you can't really tell but all they are is a flimsy helmet, a couple of vacuum cleaner hoses and a dark blue boiler suit. What they were doing down there I have no idea but there was a fair bit of studio stuff as well.

I've never heard of your 'Chickleumphants'. Err if they can't be seen how would you know?  :ph34r:

Just to confirm what Braddy says above , in 1871, The Woodlark Inn was number 2, Convent Street .Landlord was a Joseph Parker . 

The original post here links to an article in the Nott'm Post dated March 7th, stating a new cave found on lower Parliament Street, believed to be the cellar of the Woodlark. The archaeologist involved tells me there is no new cave there, only to the north of the city. Now , from above,  the Woodlark is on Convent Street !

This is all very confusing, what's going on ?

This is where we need Cliff Ton ! 

The Woodlark Inn appears to be the first property on Convent Street . It could have had a side wall onto Lower Parliament St.

Probably the corner building where I have placed the red dot .

Appears that on this 1881 map , that part of Lower Parliament St was called St. John's Street .

32520543344_4cd0b3e045.jpg

• Upvote 1
On 10/03/2017 at 7:49 AM, DAVIDW said:

Just to confirm what Braddy says above , in 1871, The Woodlark Inn was number 2, Convent Street .Landlord was a Joseph Parker . 

In 1854 it was John Smith according to my 1854  directory Wood Lark is two words 

The Wood Lark pub is not on my large scale 1881 map of the area

I've just read a mail from the archaeologist involved with the new cave(s), it was one on Lower Parliament Street I was interested in having been to a fire in one around 1970. It was in the vicinity of the ice arena, somewhere opposite where Machine Mart is now. ( I seem to remember that was a Puch dealership with Haflingers in the window at the time?). The fire was in an open cave, at ground level in a low rock face. At the back it tapered down to a pothole with a hole at it's end about a foot across opening into a vast space, my torch wouldn't reach anything, I always wondered what the hell was in there !. Having left Nottingham in 1975, I was not aware that there was a new Ice facility built around 1998. During construction, he tells me there were some 31 caves found and simply filled in, so it seems that's what happened to 'my' cave !