I don't think Spaghetti Bolognese is an Italian dish,I think they call it a Ragoo (sp) and as such you can throw owt in a so called Bolognese,Nonna should be along in a bit with her expert view,(come on Nonna)

Rog

# cream in bolognese sauce.....yuk.

As far as I know Bologna is responsable for its sauce. Isn't ragu french ( ragout) Did see something the other day about the difference between ragu and bolognese. Will have to look it up.

I was always led to believe that Ragout is a French stew, eaten as a main course, and that Ragu is an Italian pasta sauce, which is predominantly tomato based.

Hilarious thread.  :)

Maybe 30 years ago before Local Govt. was decimated, I would occasionally find time in my busy schedule to visit the 'Town Hall Canteen' in St Helens.

They had a period where they featured foods from different countries.  There was 'French Week', 'Mexican Week', 'Spanish Week', etc.

And all the time there was an alternative 'Traditional' Menu.. featuring 'Curry', 'Spaghetti', 'Pizza', etc.

:)

• Upvote 1

IMHO, the best of British food is superb. Even back in mediaeval times we were famed for the quality of our 'baked meats'. Our cheeses and other dairy products, our beers, wines and spirits, our proper bread, our soft fruits, lamb, beef, pork, poultry,  apples etc., etc. are superb.

But the worst of 'British' food is ( being polite) rubbish.

And we don't make it any better by slagging off our neighbours.

Col

Well by the necessity to book in advance at most of the foreign restaurants that I've frequented lately, there certainly seems to be a vast amount of customers. 

Whilst in Jamie's Italian a few weeks ago, I noticed a Chinese family, and an Indian family. Likewise at the Bombay Indian restaurant on Mapperley Top last month, there were Chinese couple and an Afro Caribbean couple. 

• Upvote 2

I just like FOOD full stop !smile2

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, TBI said:

Food is about taste and the pleasure derived thereof. I struggle to understand folk who won't eat anything ' foreign '.

Not a lot to understand really, if you don't like the taste then you don't like the taste. I have tried foreign food (all kinds) and simply don't like herbs, spices and cheese etc.

I had a meze in Greece once. It was the foulest thing I have ever willingly put in my mouth,  some sort of spicy mince wrapped in a privet leaf, disgusting!

I have a Hindu mate who made me a 'mild' curry -  felt like it was taking the enamel off my teeth.

The list goes on so I do speak from experience and I'm  not rejecting stuff just 'cos it's forrin innit.