I've just discovered why we "nouveau riche" country dwellers (see post of Tuesday) drive 4x4's. It's to navigate the streets of Bulwell. Just got back from there. Never seen so many speed bumps. We've got ploughed fields out here which are smoother! Nothing against Bulwell by the way. I spent 7 happy years being educated at Mellish!

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No wimin? flipping heck,who did the housework then? Rog

Probably going to give the ash trays to their mothers for Mothers day,just a thought   Rog

A bit like a few women I,,,no better not carry on with that Rog   Rog

Agree with you Phil, I had the misfortune of driving along St Albans Road recently and counted 17 speed bumps and I doubt the road is a mile long.   We have them around our neck of the woods but nothing as high and car-wrecking as those.  

The speed bumps on the streets of Bulwell are to keep undesirables out.......we've got enough of our own..........lol.

Anyway all these different threads on Bulwell..........need lumping together.......just shows how popular the old place is...........

• Upvote 1

Ah but don't be fooled by the bad press Bulwell gets. Noticed today that the old Midland Bank on Main Street is being transformed into a new Costa coffe shop. Bulwell is going up market.

(If the locals will put up with the rip-off prices that is !)

Did'nt know it was to be a Costa' catfan........i agree about the rip off prices.......just worried about their chairs and Tables being outside...lol.

• Upvote 1

Saw it this morning ben, I'll stick to the Salvation Army "Oasis "cafe" or Wether's !

Anyway, if the great unwashed do go in Costa then Wether's & the Oasis will be less cluttered with screaming brats & their chav parents !

Whatever we say say about 'Costa Coffee'.......it will enhance that little corner,be nice to see the seats,tables and Brolly's,...be like being on the 'Costa del Sol'................and no doubt i'll see old pals sat there beckoning me for a 'Double Espresso' and a bit of banter.................

To be honest Melissa so am i,.............get your 'Tush' into Bulwell one morning........i'll spot you.....and treat you to whatever you fancy............your young sister Mrs Catfan will probably join us...........lol.

• Upvote 3
13 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Agree with you Phil, I had the misfortune of driving along St Albans Road recently and counted 17 speed bumps and I doubt the road is a mile long.   We have them around our neck of the woods but nothing as high and car-wrecking as those.  

Lizzie, when I was a kid.  ( 1950s)  St Alban's Rd and Hucknall Rd. were basically just roads heading into Bulwell either side of Bulwell Common. Neither carried much traffic.

The 'powers that be' seem to have decided that St Alban's Rd. should be very restricted and Hucknall Rd carry most of the traffic.  I'm guessing that the reasoning is because St Alban's Rd has more residential stuff and more side roads on it... but what do I know?  The effect is that much traffic now uses Bestwood Rd as a 'run' between Hucknall and St Alban's. 

Eitherway.. Speed Bumps are just an excuse for a failure to Police a road and result in the 99% sensible drivers being penalised because the authorities cannot be bothered/cannot afford, to catch the 1%.

But that's a Political issue.. and I'm not going there.... :)

Col

3 hours ago, MelissaJKelly said:

I'm a big fan of Costa Coffee, regularly go to the one at Castle Marina! Maybe now I'll have a reason to go to Bulwell as I never have before! Never know who I might bump into whilst I'm there! 

Melissa.  Bulwell is a wonderful place and you really must visit!

I would however warn you to be wary of ageing 'Lotharios' ....  ;)

Col

• Upvote 1

Re the speed humps on St Albans Rd. It's definitely been done because it cuts right through a heavily populated residential area with many junctions, and it was used as a 'Rat Run' by traffic heading for the motorway for which you have to turn left at the Ken Martin Leisure Centre. Basically it's just laziness by drivers taking a short cut rather than carrying on down Hucknall Rd and turning left at Hucknall Lane. 

Re the policing of the area . Well don't get me going on that one. The humps don't stop drug pushing yobs in big 4x4's or these ridiculously large pick up trucks . The fly down there straddling the humps with a total disregard for anyone and anything. 

What! you've never been to Bulwell, Melissa. You've never been to Bulwell ! You haven't lived.Get yer liberty bodice on an get down there.

• Upvote 3
8 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

.your young sister Mrs Catfan will probably join us...........lol.

Smooth

Rog

• Upvote 2

I must make a point of swinging by Newark next time I'm in the vicinity.  The last time I was there was when I went on a bike ride with Peter Abbot who lived up the street from me. He was a good few years older than me and had a much bigger bike.  All I remember is feeling very small and totally exhausted most of the way.  I'd probably have been about 10 or maybe younger. 48 miles as I recall... bit much for a 'little un'.

Col

• Upvote 1

Chulla, We visited  Bulwell last year sat by the river it  was a nice day then a stroll around market area.  Then the stupid dog fell in the river.

Gem

• Upvote 2

Dog wasn't stupid Gem.  Just continuing an ancient tradition observed by many a Boowullian.. myself included...  :)

Col

• Upvote 2