• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No wimin? flipping heck,who did the housework then? Rog

Probably going to give the ash trays to their mothers for Mothers day,just a thought   Rog

A bit like a few women I,,,no better not carry on with that Rog   Rog

No Vet required Gem.. just like wet leather.  'Allow to dry naturally'.. 

However.. on the topic of the ancient Boowull tradition of 'Involuntary Taking Of The Waters'. :)

I remember once just slipping off the steps close to the footbridge so that I was ankle deep in water.  Both feet. We were on our way to my Uncle Cecil Chambers' Grocery shop which was more or less opposite the old ( and closed) Black Horse pub on Coventry Rd, close to Hempshill Lane.  I was probably about 7 or 8 and with my Mum. I can't recall why we were so close to the river, but Mum was usually happy for us to have a bit of a mooch round there when in town. Frantic efforts to dry my woollen socks in Cecil's shop made little difference and I was thoroughly miserable until we got home and I could change.

A couple of years later, I was allowed into Bulwell with a couple of friends off Southglade Rd.  I can remember very clearly who one of them was, but not the other.  I'm not going to mention names because......  We had a bit of a wander around Woolies and I spent what was left of my pocket money on some sweets.

When we came out the other two had those little pressed tin 'cap' guns that looked a bit like a very small automatic pistol.  They gave one to me too.  I was as pleased as punch as we ran around the 'Bogs' in the area close to Highbury Rd bridge. where you could get under some arches that had no water, being Cowboys and Injuns etc.  Me being very innocent and trusting.. it took a while for me to work out that the other two had probably 'nicked' the guns from Woolies.  Good job Benjamin wasn't about ....  ;)  Anyway, once we'd run out of caps, we started playing about on the little concrete weirs that used to span the river.  Naturally I fell in.. pretty much  up to the waist.  Mercifully it wasn't cold and I didn't drown either...  Then I looked up and St Mary's clock said 2:30 pm or so, much later than I'd realised.  I panicked because I'd been out since about 9:00am and I knew Mum would be frantic. I was nearly dry by the time I'd run all the way home but my mother was standing with a group of other Mum's no doubt asking after me.  I got a telling off, but I think it was tempered with relief that I was OK.

A few years later, the prize for the most spectacular near miss went to my mate Rob Cartwright.. whose parents had yet another Grocery Shop at the very end of Coventry Rd where it joined Main St... or was it Cinderhill Rd?  Seems like all of my friends and relatives had shops, or pubs.  We were the only poor ones...:laugh:..

Anyway, we'd be about 15 by this time and all rode our pushbikes enthusiastically anywhere and everywhere.  We often met on the bit of rough ground at the bogs, just near the road bridge. Quite a lot of the older lads used to hang around there on their motorbikes too and we all wished we were old enough and rich enough to have our own.  Rob was riding around amongst the trees, between the road and the river.. pulling 'wheelies' all the time.  At one point as he was heading towards the water, he pulled a wheelie and the front wheel fell off his bike.... :Shock: This was one of those situations where everything seems to happen quickly but in slow motion.. if you get my meaning..  We could all see Rob's mind working overtime as he considered his options..

Keep the wheelie going and land softly in the river.. but it was midwinter...  and dark.. Let the bike drop and almost certainly go head over heels and still end up in the river...  Not nice..  The third option took guts, skill and a bit of luck.. Rob pedalled harder and threw the bike forwards and himself backwards as he dismounted.. he fell onto his backside and skidded to an undignified muddy halt, but at least he stayed out of the water.  A round of applause and much laughter ensued. And we managed to fish Rob's bike out of the water.

Happy days. :)

Col

• Upvote 3
On 3/10/2017 at 2:48 PM, plantfit said:

Sorry to hear you are unemployed Malissa, but do go to Bulwell you won't regret it

Rog

Thanks Rog but no need for apologises. I have left voluntarily to pursue a career in teaching to put my degree to some good use, fingers crossed! Citroen wasn't the place for me, met some lovely people though and friends I'm sure I'll have for life.

Just realised this should probably be on an entirely different thread, but hey ho! Hope everyone is well :) 

• Upvote 3

Work takes up a big part of our lives Melissa...........and your right to move on....if its not for you...............

• Upvote 3

Anyway Melissa..........Costa Coffee opens in Bulwell on friday...........so next week get yersen down there.........me and the catfans will be laying in wait.................and ive not had the pleasure yet............lol.

• Upvote 2

Nice one Melissa.................we'll arrange a morning...........be lovely to meet you..........but watchout for interlopers.........Fly,Chulla,Enigma,Dave 48 and even Jill have been known to fancy a morning in Bulwell...................lol.

• Upvote 2

Not a lot worth watching on the telly last night so was flicking through the channels and got to Notts TV, just as they were showing an article about BULWELL.  Apparently the City Council have spent half a million pounds improving the town.  Obviously the place to be now smile2

• Upvote 2

#32 Sounds like a mini-meeting brewing in Bulwell. Let's get some names, dates and times settled.

• Upvote 1

You might be right there Jill. All those girlfriends and all those love bites - best stay a yard or two away from him.

• Upvote 1

Another swine of a road , is Cross St in Arnold. I've been up and down it many times recently, and it's truly horrendous. 

The local Halfords must do a roaring trade in springs and shock absorbers. 

I thought this was a " Bulwell" topic Fly2 but I hope you feel better now! Yes Lizzie the the council is spending/wasting more cash on so called improvements to the town centre, Two obvious ones are the removal of the taxi rank near the bogs, thats really wee-weed Central Cars off!,& the removing of the red brick wall on the market being replaced with a blue brick one to reduce the size of the market! WHY?

Having always being a PAYE  person I'm not into Costa's, anywhere else put me down, be nice to see you again Melissa.

On ‎09‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:13 PM, MelissaJKelly said:

I'm a big fan of Costa Coffee, regularly go to the one at Castle Marina! Maybe now I'll have a reason to go to Bulwell as I never have before! Never know who I might bump into whilst I'm there! 

Be quick Melissa...........think Costa coffee are regretting opening in Bulwell already.......since the ist hour on Friday morning haven't seen more than 4 people in there..........and its not enhanced Bulwell at all...........already the Brollies have disappeared.......just 4 empty tables...........not even Ash Trays on em.............I ask you 'no ash trays in Bulwell'...........lol.

• Upvote 2

No ashtrays because Bulwellians pinched them and fixed them to their motorbikes.

• Upvote 2