What to tell your children about sex

At Tai Chi the other day the subject came up about sex lesson's at school. As most of the group have had children and now grandchildren it gave us some thing to get our teeth in to. First how do you explain to a child of five where he came from, Answer you get a mixing bowl and put in some love with an egg place in the oven for 5 mins and hey presto you have a baby boy, when I was 23 I had two boys (normal way) but a friend of mine who had just got married ask me to tell her were babies came from (This was not a joke she did not have a clue) When my eldest was 10 or some were round that age I chickend out and gave him a book to read, only to find when cleaning his room mags from the top shelf, he probably  knew more than me.

• Upvote 1

Our 6 and 7 year old grandchildren know about babies growing from tiny eggs inside the mummy, and they know that it needs something from a daddy to join with an egg to make it start growing into a baby.  They haven't yet asked how the 'something' from the daddy gets near to the egg inside the mummy!  That's when the explanations get a bit trickier.......  

I was found under a gooseberry bush, not sure where the ex dragged the two kids from, might have found them down the Trent Embankment......LOL

I remember biology lessons at the Manning when we were 15 or around that age. Reproduction was covered in plants and then chickens...it was a long time before I ate another egg! Then we went straight onto a couple of pages in a book which showed a cross section of a human foetus in the womb. No mention was made of how it got there and so innocent/ignorant were we that we hadn't a clue!

One of our number had been given a booklet by her mother which stated that a a girl could become pregnant at any time after the onset of menstruation. I recall we sat around on the grass one lunchtime looking at each other and wondering if any of us was!!  That's how ignorant we were.

That said, I'd rather be back in the ignorant early 70s than today's unrelenting social media pressure and the ever present threat of grooming which the internet poses.

We didn't have sex Ed at school. What females looked like wasn't much of a mystery to me with two younger sisters. Imagine my surprise therefore when friends showed me a copy of 'Health & Efficiency', girls bits disappeared  when they grew up!

It was common knowledge in the playground  that a baby grew in your mams tummy but opinion was split 50/50 how it got out. Some said that was what the belly button is for and some were sure it was an operation, that's why your mam went to hospital. The knowledge of how it got in there came along quite a bit after.

• Upvote 1

I have no idea how to put links on here but try looking on YouTube for 'Peter Kay John Smiths advert - Sex Education' 

He tells it like it is, in 30 seconds  ...........

• Upvote 1

I remember thinking that the baby must somehow come out of the belly-button.  

A boy at junior school when I was about 10 told me and some other girls how babies are made but he'd got it a bit wrong.... I can't tell you on here what he said but the two words he used rhyme with 'silly' and 'rum'

• Upvote 2

I'll bet that confused the Jewish lads.

• Upvote 1

That sad little man with his droopy moustache....just couldn't understand why there were peals of laughter when he tried to get 45 testosterone riddled teenagers to stop calling them bollocks.

• Upvote 2

I must admit when cleaning my son's bedroom and finding the mag's of the top shelf, I could not help but sit down and read them. Very Interesting!!!

When I was very young and asked my parents where I came from, my father always replied that he'd acquired me in exchange for a dog! A few years later, I was at school with a girl who was adopted and I thought this was quite a mysterious and romantic concept. For a time, I pestered my mother to tell me whether I had been adopted until she became exasperated and told me to go and look in the mirror which would prove that I looked too much like my father to have been anyone else's child! Odd, the ideas that go through children's heads!

• Upvote 1

When I was very young, a large lady arrived at our house with a very large bag. That evening I was shown my younger sister for the very first time. When I asked who the big lady was, dad told me that she was the midwife and she had come to deliver my sister. When I thought about it, it was obvious - my sister had been delivered in that very large bag ;)

• Upvote 4
  • 3 months later...

Back in the day parents had an easier time of it when it came to having the talk, it was more at their pace, today with social media you don't have the luxury of waiting too long, kids will find out anyway and much sooner than you'd like. Our generation, by comparison, was naive and innocent until a much later age.

That said, some bloke stored his "magazines" in Colwick woods back in my day and me and my best friend would borrow them and have a read laid out on Colwick Racetrack (not on race day, obviously!) we'd always put them back, theory being that if we stole them we wouldn't get to see next month's new issue! Needless to say, we knew much more than we should've, never did us any harm though, they merely fascinated us.

• Upvote 1

I have a good memory and a bad memory of Colwick. 

Good - lost my virginity in the long grass by the race track :biggrin:

Bad - While practising cyclo cross in the woods I had a serious crash resulting is 22 stitches around my right eye and cheek :angry:

• Upvote 1

Livin' dangerously, on both counts, PP! Them woods hold a lot of secrets, I'm sure the park wardens have a lot of stories to tell ;)