I often get on NS at about 8 p.m local time in the evening.  That is about 1 a.m. Nottingham time.  Just lately things really seem to have slowed down at that time for some reason.  Click on a topic and wait, and wait.  Even logging out is quite a slow process.  I know it is not a local problem as other websites load just fine.

I'm wondering if any of you night owls have noticed that.  Maybe the system does a backup or something?  It is ok during the day.

Loppy, I said exactly the same thing a few weeks ago but people said that they had not noticed it, never got an answer about back ups etc.

Maybe the elastic to Georgia and downunder gets a bit stretched and stops all the little '0's and '1's getting through.

Certainly is slow, painfully slow at times.

I've noticed that it's much slower at night. It's really frustrating at times, especially refreshing 'All Activity'.

#2.  You know, I remember you said that a while ago, Oztalgian.  I did not follow up on it because  I had not really noticed it all that much up to that time.  Since you mentioned it, it has become progressively worse.  It is now 9 a.m. here.  2 p.m. Nottingham time and things are running just fine.  Part of the unexplained I guess.  :rolleyes:

#4 Loppy, about an two hours ago it was taking between one and two minutes to go to the unread content page from the item I was reading.

Now it is taking less than 10 seconds. I am sure something must be happening in the background of the wee hours in the UK

• Upvote 1

Yes, it may be nothing to do with NS at all.  Something weird on the main lines of the Internet perhaps?

Edited to add:. Maybe a good test would be to try accessing other UK sites when things slow down and see how they perform.

All other sites were fine last night 15th but this site was taking ages to swap pages. This would be around midnight or so.

Desperately slow at midnight, and only slightly quicker at 7 this morning.

Time is now 22:57 and it's slower than a very very slow thing.  Two minutes 3secs to swap topics or go for 'unread content'

Can't say I've seen a slow down, but I am using Chrome for my browsers & can't say I look much after 7pm.

Just a thought If this site is carrying a lot of data & maybe taking time to load, sure it would do no harm to zero the word association 81,430 posts, song association 43,770 posts, keep one drop on 54,882, posts & start from scratch? It would saving 180,082 pointless posts that have probably now repeated themselves time & time & time & time again & which also serve no purpose to this site & maybe keep the site that someone else's paying for going for a few days/weeks/months or even longer? 

• Upvote 4

I agree the follow-on threads being a nuisance, logging into activity and scrolling down sometimes seemingly forever past them to get to a real post and summat worth reading. I know the site is about storing data as a resource but are there any sad folk prowling back among the archives of some old songs and the like. I know the purpose is supposed to increase posts for google recognition but for me, this stuff is a waste. There only seem to be a handful of members who participate in these threads anyway.

Back to the topic of slow loading, I personally haven't found any issues at all and I'm usually on after 10pm to midnight on my laptop. I don't know whether it may be a case of which page members access the site. I did find that bookmarking 'all activity' which used to be my preferred way, took a long time to load. I just go the long way in, home, square at top right, activity, all activity and four clicks and I'm on in a flash. Just a thought.   

• Upvote 2

Re: the follow-on threads.

I've experimented with trying to delete the majority of the posts in those threads, but there doesn't seem to be a way of deleting a block - or a page - of them in one go. I'd have to click on each individual post to delete it; even something like Shift-Click doesn't work to do multiples. Much as I find them annoying, I can't face the thought of clicking on literally thousands of posts to get rid of them.

• Upvote 1

I agree, why can't an entire thread be deleted?  I used to contribute to the Word Assoc. thread but it gets tired after a while with the same words cropping up.  A brand new thread can be started up anyway. 

• Upvote 3

Time of day when logging in makes no difference of loading time for me. NS is slow every time loading these days. I have experimented with many different browsers, even formatting my PC & doing a clean install, still slower than NS used to be. Going back to a previous page is also incredibly slow.

BUT i'M NOT COMPLAINING !  NS is still a free site !

I use Chrome on the iPad and have bookmarked 'unread content' which I find is the quickest way to see what I want.  Usually it's only a few seconds to get in, but the few times I've been on here late at night, it is definitely slower - up to a minute to get in.

Cliff Ton,

Forum boards usually have two control panels, user and administrator

In the forum I manage deleting entire topics is done from the ACP (Administrators control Panel), two clicks and the entire topic is gone. .

I can't say that it would work here as this forum is built on a different platform but maybe worth looking at?

Edit:

One possible reason is backups, does it auto backup and if so at what time?

8 p.m local 1 a.m. Gmt last night everything was working great.  The slowdowns seem to be random.  Perhaps it auto backups at a preset number of posts?  Just a thunk.  :rolleyes:

So several members want the game topics deleted. How fickle. As I've said before, not everything on here pleases everyone, and we can't have people bemoaning the fact that there's odd things they don't like. Well they certainly seem to have been extremely popular for many a year, and I for one think it would be a shame if they vanished.Now if the system rejected a word or song that had been posted previously, we would all (well some) would have to come up with new ones. 

How about deleting some of the one post topics, where folks have only made one post then vanished into thin air. 

• Upvote 2