Were you at Berridge?

You are a Diamond geezer caftan.................reckon I know which one is Jill on all of em..........:rolleyes:

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Through this door...and it's the original, although painted black in my day...I walked with my mum one cold morning early in 1962. I was just 4 years old. The door led to Miss Smith's office and my mu

How many Berridge children have secreted themselves inside this niche situated in the playground which fronts the old infant building, hoping to be left behind when the bell rang at playtime's close?

Sitting on this exact spot, facing the stationery cupboard in Mr Parr's classroom, in spring 1969, I sat my 11+ exam.

Posted Images

I'm the good looking, allegedly highly intelligent but sad, child!  ;)

Seriously, grateful thanks once again to my good friend Catfan!

Picture 1. 1967/8.

Back row from left: Kevin Burgin, Martyn Jewers, Roger Lowe, ?, Stephen Binns, Neville Eccles, Dennis MacDonald, Rennival Carruthers, Christopher Holbrook.

Next row: Mr G O Chandler, Trevor Huddlestone, Philip Walker, Winsome Eccles, Yvonne Cutts, Linda Fletcher, Doreth Campbell,Marion Hitchin, Lorraine Seymour, Ann Green, Wendy Matthews.

Next row: Jane Handfield, Jane Humphries, ME!, Deborah Noon, Jennifer Harrison, Susan Parr, Georgina Roebuck, Diana Bradley, Pamela Clayton.

Front row:  Noel James, Michael Brennan, Colin Hudson, Christopher Fox, Steven Tunnicliffe, Adrian Bell, Jeffrey Whyley.

The chap on the right was Barry Watchorn, a student teacher on placement.

• Upvote 2

Picture 2

1966/7

Back row:  Kevin Green, Ian Munro, Baljit Singh, John Heawood, Christopher Fox, Geoffrey Hollington,   Kevin Burgin, Roger Lowe, Steven Tunniclffe.

Next row: Christopher Riley, Martyn Jewers, Jayne Topham, ME!, Doreth Campbell, Bernice Bond, Lynn Bartles, Trevor Huddlestone, Alex Smith.

Next row:  Pamela Clayton, Alison Smith, Jocelyn Smith, Jane Humphreys, Hortense Gayle, Winsome Eccles, Wendy Matthews, Jennifer ?

Front row:  Rennival Carruthers, Jeffrey Smith, Colin Hudson, ?  Michael Brennan, Malcolm ?, Ian Macfarlane, David Webb.

• Upvote 1

Picture 3

Berridge Infants, 1964/5

Back row:  Miss Smith,  Dean Bradley, Stephen Binns, David ?, Christopher Fox, John Heawood, ?, Ian Munro, Colin Richardson, Baljit Singh,

Next row:  Trevor Wigglesworth, Eric Taylor, Kenneth Smith, Christopher Riley, Ann Green, ME!, Kim Machin, Eric Horsley, Colin Hudson, Noel James, Kevin Green.

Next row: Sandra Thomas, Jane smith, Winsome Eccles, Deborah Noon, Janice Clarke, Jayne Topham, Jocelyn Smith, Lorraine Seymour, Jane Handfield.

Front row: Christopher Holbrook, Glenn ?, Steven Tunnicliffe, ?, ?, ?, Martyn Jewers, Gordon Pearson, Trevor Huddlestone.

• Upvote 1

Picture 4. 1963/4

Back row: Trevor Huddlestone, Kevin Green, John Heawood, ?, Ian Munro, ?, Stephen Binns, Colin Richardson, Lorraine Seymour,

Next row:  ?, Deborah Noon, Susan McDermott,  Bernice Bond, Ann Green, Jane Humphreys, Jane Topham, Christopher Fox.

Next row: Christopher Riley, Jane Handfield, Noel James, Colin Hudson, Alan Bradbrook, Janice Clarke, Eric Taylor,  Anne Hutchinson, Glenn ?

Front row: Dean Bradley, Gary Walker, Stephen Horsley, Richard Sewell, Wendy Matthews, ME!

• Upvote 1

Picture 5. 1962/3

Back row:  Christopher Riley, ?, Martyn Jewers, Dean Bradley, Gordon Pearson, Stephen Binns, Leno ?, Gary Walker, Peter Briggs, Trevor Huddlestone, Peter ?

Front row: Steven ?, Alan Bradbrook, Colin Hudson, Deborah Noon, ME! Jane Humphreys, Lorraine Seymour, Ann Green, Jane Smith, Susan ?, Glenn ?, Eric Taylor, Richard Sewell.

• Upvote 1

Picture 6

1965/6

Back row:  Mrs Price, Michael Chomyn, Robert Lindley?, Stephen Eccles, John ?, ?, ?, Stephen Holbrook, Rajit Singh, Geoffrey Warren, Trevor Huddlestone*

Next row: ?, Robert ?, Sally Grey, Shirley Wilkinson, Elaine Johnson, Jennifer Dench, Susan Wilkie, Sharon Marlow, Tasneem ? Christopher Fox*, Andrew ?, John Heawood*

Front row: Alison Smith*, Jocelyn Smith*, ME*, Jane Flint, Jill Maddern, Phyllis Lawlor, Christine Lamb, Jacqueline ?, Zena Marshall.

* denotes children who had been sent up one year.

I was only with this group for one year and am not sure of all the names. Mrs letsavagoo will be able to fill in the gaps!

• Upvote 1

Finally, picture 7. 1968/9

Back row:  Mr Grainger, student teacher, Dennis MacDonald, Ian Munro, Kevin Green, Peter Withey, Kevin Burgin, John Heawood, Trevor Wigglesworth, Gary Walker, Mark ?

Next row:  John Thorpe, Philip Walker, Hortense Gayle, Susan McDermott, Marion Hitchin, Susan Freestone, ME!, Kim Machin, Kenneth Smith, Colin Hudson, Mr T T Williams.

Next row:  Jayne Topham, Wendy Matthews, Jennifer Harrison, Jane Humphreys, Christine Skidmore, Susan Parr, Jane Smith, Pamela Clayton, Diana Bradley.

Front row: Colin Simpson, Michael Brennan, David Webb, Ian MacFarlane, Dean Bradley.

• Upvote 1

I'm with Jane Flint now. The back row l to r is Keith Hudson, Michael Chomyn, Robert Gilman, Steven Eccles, ?, Charles Haskey, Lindsey Webster, Stephen Holbrook,?, JEFFREY Warren?

next row. Neil Harrison, ?, Carol Grey, Shirley Wilkinson, Elaine Johnson, Jennifer Dench, Susan Wilkie, Sharon Marlow, ?, Andrew Smith, ?

Front Row. ?, ? Jill Sparrow, Jane Flint, Jill Madden, Phylis Lawler, Teresa Jordan, ?, ? Zen a Marshall.

In the other photos you mention Martin Jewers. He lived just around the corner from me. Had a sister Jane. Martin used to dress in his mums clothes often and would often be heard clip clopping around in heels. 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

My older sister started at Berridge Infants in September 1955. I asked her for some names of those she went to school with. She's come up with: Linda Underwood who lived further up Berridge Road,,Lesley Webster from Chadwick Road, I think, later won a scholarship to NGHS, Susan Webster (no relation), Douglas Widdowson, Susan Meakin of Brushfield Street, Katrina Brown, Andrew Price, Nicholas Clark, Andrew Binks of Hazelwood Road, Dorothy Cannock, Carol Stokes, the elder of the Roper girls whose parents kept a wool shop on the corner of Berridge Road and Hazelwood Road. Probably also Josephine Jordan of Bobbers Mill Road.

Most also went on to Peveril. They'll all be 66 pushing 67 now!

Denise Roper was in Janes class and brother John was in my class. I'm a bit older than Jane and Jill Sparrow. Didn't know the Ropers had older sisters.

Thanks David. Some of those names I recognise and some I don't but I will amend the list I keep with the photos.

Martyn Jewers, I believe, still lives in the same area and is now a churchwarden at St Mary's in The Lace Market.

Asked my sister about Christine Roper and she confirmed that they were the same age and attended both Berridge and Peveril together. She recalls them waiting for the bus to Peveril in the mornings and Christine working out the bus times which drove sis up the wall! Apart from that, they got on well!

My sister is almost 8 years older than me so most of her Berridge friends passed me by apart from those who had younger siblings, like Denise Roper, who I remember from being in Mrs Price's class. Denise always wore her hair in plaits! 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know PP. Don't remember ever seeing their father although their mother kept a wool shop on the corner of Berridge Road and Hazelwood Road and the family lived above and behind the shop. This was in the 60s. I can make some enquiries.

• 2 months later...

While chucking a lot of old files out today I came across two of my old Berridge school reports. The first was term 1949 form T1. Form master Mr Leigh. Headmaster Mr Bowler (he took over from Mr smith). There were 38 in the class and I came 31st. The only reason I was not bottom was that I came 6th in Tech drawing and 5th in art. I was absent 16 days. Mr Leigh wrote "A very slow worker, must try to liven his ideas".

The other report is my final year aged 14. Form master Mr Clarke (he took over from Mr Pearce who went to be Headmaster at Pipewood) Headmaster Mr Henton. Number in class 35 and I came 1st.  Comments "Hard working reliable lad. Works well without supervision". Attendance VGood. 

So, why the turn around? Simple really and something that could not happen these days. I was VERY short sighted and slightly deaf. I was sat at the back of the classroom. I was also a sickly lad who seemed to catch anything going (between accidents). When I got a bit more confident I started to sit near the front of class where I could see the blackboard and hear the teacher. I got the strap several times for not paying attention when in reality I just had not heard what the teacher was saying. I enjoyed my last year at Berridge and didn't get the strap once.

• Upvote 5

You done good in the end though mate,you hit the nail on the head in your last paragraph Confident, a lot of "low achievers" as they are called these days lack that confidence for whatever reason and it's upto the teacher to identify that and act accordingly,a good teacher would see that,I also think too much attention is put on the whole school, as a business achieving "the target" and not so much on helping the child achieve their target,I guess we were lucky when we were at school,then it was all about the child,today it's about points scoring to get the more wealthy parents to send their child to that particular school and boost their points rating

Rog

• 1 month later...

Hi  just come across this site 

Lived on Wordworth Road went to Berridge school

Remember Jill Sparrow, Yvonne Cutts, Martyn Jewers, David Priestley, Diane fox, Chris Harron, Stephen maychin, Roger Lowe and others who went to Berridge school.

Wow! someone who remembers JS before she went all posh at the Manning school and started wearing grey flannel drawers. There must be a tale to tell there. lol

• Upvote 1

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Colin! Take no notice of Chulla. He's only jealous because his school didn't insist on grey flannel knickers.

I remember several Colins at Berridge. Colin Hudson, in my own year, Colin Richardson, in the year above and I think there was another Colin in my year ...Colin Simpson. They are all on the photos on the Berridge thread.

So, come on. Who are you and let's be hearing your memories!