Were you at Berridge?

You can see me, Jill, at one of our meetings. You being there would be a red letter (or grey flannel) day.  Is it the knicker inspection that puts you off? You got the young bit right, though.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Through this door...and it's the original, although painted black in my day...I walked with my mum one cold morning early in 1962. I was just 4 years old. The door led to Miss Smith's office and my mu

How many Berridge children have secreted themselves inside this niche situated in the playground which fronts the old infant building, hoping to be left behind when the bell rang at playtime's close?

Sitting on this exact spot, facing the stationery cupboard in Mr Parr's classroom, in spring 1969, I sat my 11+ exam.

Posted Images

Hello Jill, I remember you having dark clearly hair. My hair was very blonde but I have very little left of it now. I used to be friends with Ian Monroe who lived on Grimston Rd near the bottom, a few doors up from the greengrocers  Whetheralls I think and David Priestley a few doors down from the top same side. As to underwear mentioned in Chulla’s post not sure where he was going with that post?  It brought a memory back, my aunt worked at Marathon knitwear on the corner of Hartley Rd and brought a bag full of colored nylon pants for me as they were just coming on to the market at the time.  They got handed out to friends and I remember playing in the river leen with friends at the bottom of Woodstock Av  wearing them. I remember lots of things like making trolleys and riding on them down Churchfield Lane. How times have changed.
As to me I went to Peveril with that dull brown blazer and did not really enjoy going there!   I moved from Wordsworth Rd when I was 12ish to Homefield Rd  at the bottom of Aspley Lane near to the Wheatsheaf  pub. My surname is Richardson and I now live in Woodthorpe.

• Upvote 1

Hello Colin.

Yes, I remember you very well! You're on several of my school photos. David Priestley is a member of this forum and he will no doubt pick up your posts in due course.

Do you remember Jane Humphreys? We were best friends at Berridge and still are! Jane went to Peveril too.

I had the idea that you had an older brother but I'm probably wrong. I believe Martyn Jewers still lives in the Grimston Road area. 

Looking forward to reading some of your memories, Colin. Lots of our members knew the area years ago.

Yes, I did have dark, curly hair. It's now silver/white! The Laboratoire Garnier got a bit too much trouble so I'm growing old (dis)gracefully!  :rolleyes:

Ian Munro was, I believe, one of the Berridge boys in my year who went to High Pavement. Ian was "clever", to use a word I don't much like. My mum was quite friendly with his mother. They used to stand chatting at the school gate. Ian's father was Scottish...perhaps not surprising with a name like Munro!

I remember Ian had tight blond curls and Joe 90ish spectacles. I've often wondered what happened to him.

Col, I've been looking at the Berridge school photos and you appear on two of the infant school pictures. On one of them you are standing next to Ian Munro. You aren't on any of the junior year photos which would suggest that you were in the parallel class, i.e. with Mr Parr in the final year when I was with Mr Williams. Am I correct in thinking that? Did you also have to suffer Mr Kemp who, I gather, was a bit of a so and so. He never taught me, so I didn't understand why I was chosen to present him with his retirement gift- a book about roses. I still have the photo from the Guardian Journal showing the event. Perhaps they didn't trust his own pupils not to thump him with it! Very much a disciplinarian, Mr Kemp. Good at subduing unruly boys! I know you didn't fall into that category. I recall you as being very well behaved and polite. You probably also recall John Heawood. He is also a member of the forum but hasn't posted for several years.

Can you remember who else taught you at Berridge? If you have any photos, I'd love to see them.

You have a good memory, better than mine. Yes I do have a half brother called Tony who stayed at my grandparents a lot and they lived on Radford Grove Lane. His surname is Barks though.

He had a Saturday job and worked for Les Tollson’s shop at the top of Glentworth Rd opposite the off license.

As for Martin Jewers he lives on Wordsworth Rd or did some eight years ago as my mum would see his sister Jane sometimes when out shopping. Jane ran the Nags Head pub on Nuthall Rd Bobbers Mill for quite a time. I do also remember Jane Humphreys. 
Can you remember Vonney Cutts?  I went on holiday with her family to Scotland and Wales. She went to live in Johannesburg.
I can recall that Ian Munro,s mum did good cheese toast.

As for Berridge Mr Kemp hit me with his taped together rules a few times but we did learn the times tables, not so good at remembering them now.  Mr Parr rings a bell as being my teacher at some time. I will have a look if I can find any photos..

It would be good to catch up with David Priestley (Biss). Last time l spoke to him it would be with two tin cans and a piece of strings!.       

• Upvote 1

Good post, Col. Interesting information.

I remember Yvonne and she was a nice girl.

People keep telling me I have a good memory! It's nice to know something still works properly at pushing 60!

Mr Kemp was renowned for his prowess with those rulers! Many disliked him but I think he was a good teacher. Could do with a few like him today. Discipline was never lacking around Mr Kemp!

Look forward to reading more of your memories, Col.

Been thinking about some of the teachers who taught at Berridge during our time there, Col. Some names you may recall are Miss MacDonald, who married Alan Parr, Miss  Bartlett, dressed like a hippy, Mr Parnham, Mr Anderson and his wife. Anderson gave me the creeps and it has been suggested on this site by someone who was friends with his son that Anderson had a rather, shall we say, unhealthy interest in children! 

There was also a Miss Bowen, who was lovely and a Miss Barks, who wasn't. Do any of these ring a bell with you, Col? My earliest teacher at Berridge was Miss Walters, followed by a Miss Newlyn. Followed by Miss Smith! A tough lady. I'm sure you remember her. She used to beat the living daylights out of Christopher Riley! All good entertainment and it had no effect whatsoever! Happy days, eh?

Found this photo me 3rd on the left at the top,  

I think the lad on the top row at the end right feel off an escalator in Nottingham and was badly injured and did not recover could be rong.

Be very interested to see it, Col. If you're having problems, there are very technologically minded members who can offer help. They've uploaded my photos, cos I couldn't figure out how to do it, even with Photobucket!  :(

#14\

Although I can't see the photo, I wonder if you're referring to Neville Eccles, Col? He was the brother or cousin of Winsome Eccles, both at Berridge with us. John Heawood told me Neville died in some sort of accident in the Victoria Centre. Winsome/Neville and their families lived in a flat in one of the large Victorian houses on Gregory Boulevard.

A search of Ancestry shows that Neville Eccles was born on 04 August 1958 and died in 1980, tragically young. Both he and Winsome were children of what was then termed a mixed marriage, Jamaican father and British mother. Since they were both in my year and weren't twins, this suggests they were cousins, as Winsome said they were. Yet both appear to have been born in Lancashire to mothers with a maiden name of Thompson. Were their mothers also sisters?

Winsome was one of the best dressed girls at Berridge. Endless supply of party frocks. I've often wondered what happened to her.

Managed to find the newspaper cutting of Mr Kemp on the day he retired. It's a bit faded and grainy...after all it's around 50 years old... but may be of interest. I'd estimate it was taken in 1968. I've asked my good friend Catfan to upload it for me. 

• Upvote 1

Many thanks to Catfan.

The image shows a smiling Mr Kemp...probably relieved to be escaping! I'm told he wasn't always so affable.

The girl with dark, curly hair, standing next to Mr Kemp is yours truly. The other girl is Alison Smith who lived in one of the Victorian houses close to Merriman's shop on Berridge Road. Ian Munro's curly head can just be seen to the left of Mr Kemp. I can't identify the other three children. Perhaps Col will recognise them.

• Upvote 1

Fantastic photo, Col. Spotted you straight away. This was taken in 1963.

Also spotted Jennifer Dench*, Anne Hutchinson*,Trevor Wigglesworth, Ian Munro, Michael Brennan, Jane Handfield, Stephen Eccles*, Kim Machin, Christine Lamb*, Susan McDermott, Rennival Carruthers and a few others I'll have to think about. Names marked * were a year older than us but perhaps being held back due to health issues. I know for certain that was the case with two of the girls.

If you have any others, I'd love to see them!

I think the other 3 children in that photo were younger than us. I remember the day it was taken. I presented Mr Kemp with the book during morning assembly but it was later in the day when the photographer turned up. They pulled a few children out of classes and arranged us round a table while the shot was taken. My mum cut the photo out of the newspaper! It's survived all those years.

Do you ever hear from Ian Munro?

Noticed something odd about the photo. There are 34 children pictured. On the parallel photo (see Berridge thread) there are only 24.

A number of the children among the 34 pictured on Col's photo were born between September 1956 and August 1957 and are a year older than Col and myself. None of the 24 children on the other photo were born before September 1957. I wonder what was going on there, then?

Must say you are extremely good with faces and names.

Never heard from or seen anything of Ian Munro lost contact with lots of friends with moving house and going to Peveril at roundabout the same time.

Some names of people I remember and roads they lived on. Not all went to Berridge.

David Prosser  Wordsworth Rd.
Jimmy horrocks  Grimstone Rd.
Kevin Bergen  top of Brridge Rd just down from the Old General pub he had a big paper round
Roger Lowe   Lambert Street now demolished
Paul Salisbury Radford Grove Lane
Peter withey  Bridlington St
Chris Harron  Kingford Ave.  
Also Remember some girls lived on the right hand side of Kingford Aue..

There was a girl that was Yvonne Cutts friend can't remember her name but she came on holiday with us when I went to  Berridge as found photo of us on holiday.  Played tennis with her and Yvonne a few years later at Players athletic club Aspley Lane.  Have an idea her first name was Jenny?