Were you at Berridge?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Through this door...and it's the original, although painted black in my day...I walked with my mum one cold morning early in 1962. I was just 4 years old. The door led to Miss Smith's office and my mu

How many Berridge children have secreted themselves inside this niche situated in the playground which fronts the old infant building, hoping to be left behind when the bell rang at playtime's close?

Sitting on this exact spot, facing the stationery cupboard in Mr Parr's classroom, in spring 1969, I sat my 11+ exam.

Posted Images

Much as we all love our cars, these old photos of the little streets look so neat and clean without them. No cars, no clumsy, overflowing wheelie bins with house numbers scrawled in running paint on the front. No litter, no plastic windows with fake lead strips across the glazing where there obviously shouldn't be any, no dirty white uPVC replacement front doors opening onto filthy front steps. Just clean, well tended, uniform houses that don't stand out like a sore thumb.

Here she goes again, having a moan! Things were better in those days, even if we did have measles and diphtheria!

• Upvote 1

Still poring over the school photo. Some faces are somehow very familiar but can't think of the names. It's a case of comparing them with later photos. I am pretty sure that the boy in the centre of the middle row is a young Kevin Green, wearing a bow tie. Kevin was always smartly dressed, as were you Colin, although some of the lads usually looked dishevelled. 

Sadly, some of our peers are no longer here. I've already mentioned the tragic early demise of Neville Eccles who, I was informed, fell from a window of the Victoria Centre flats. Jayne Topham has also gone. Again, tragic circumstances. Do you remember Jayne, Colin? She lived on Kirkstead Street.

Debbie Noon, Ann Green and Wendy Matthews are still around the Bulwell area. Jane Humphries runs into them occasionally. Martyn Jewers is very involved as a churchwarden at St. Mary's in the Lace Market. Martyn was a lovely lad, again always well turned out. My mum was quite friendly with his.

I'm sure that, between us, Jane Humphreys, Jane Flint and I will manage to identify most children on the photo. Wonder where they all are now and why they're not on Nottstalgia?  :rolleyes:

Hello Colin. Dave Priestley here. My word, you're a blast from the past. Jill has passed you my email address so I dare say we will be in touch soon. I know at one time we spent a lot of time together but I don't know when and why we drifted apart but reading your earlier post see you moved from Wordsworth which no doubt explains it plus I went to Forest Fields so we doubtless moved on with other friends. I recall going to Mablethorpe with your mum and dad and being sick on the way home. I don't think your dad was too pleased. I only recently found a photo of us both in my back yard. I'm wearing a silver jacket and look like an extra from Star Trek. Anyway see you soon.

Hi David

it's some 48 years ago we were last in contact, Stumbled across this site when trying to find some info about players motor club.
Do you remember Pilkington’s yard at the bottom of Woodstock Avenue that flatbed Lorry full of bricks. It’s always stuck in my mind.
I also remember going with your mum and dad to Wicksteed park or somewhere like that. We went in your dads new car or new to him a dark blue Cortina Estate.  We spent most of the time in the swimming/paddling pool.
Will be in contact via email  

Colin 

I spent several years playing in the Woodyard aka Pilkingtons yard and yes the secret den I built in the back of the brick lorry. I really don't know what I'd have done without the Woodyard to play about in and it doubtless kept me out of trouble. Respect to the watchman Mr Jones who was canny enough to know he wouldn't keep us out so let us play there on the understanding no damage and keep the noise down and even lit us fires in winter in an old metal pallet. The dark blue car was a Hillman Minx estate. He never had a Ford. I learnt to drive in that car. Look foreword to hearing from you.

ps. Do you remember Jane Flint. We've been married 42 very nearly 43 years. Shirley Wilkinson you may recall, now Shirley Parkin who we are still in touch with. Mick Jackson still lives on Wordsworth. You mentioned Dave Prosser who I knew quite well sadly died in a car crash many years ago.

That wouldn't be a Michael Jackson that moved there in the late fifties when he was about 6-7 years old would it?

Rog

8 hours ago, plantfit said:

That wouldn't be a Michael Jackson that moved there in the late fifties when he was about 6-7 years old would it?

Rog

Mick is a couple of years older than me so he would be born about 1953. I don't know when he moved there as I didn't meet him until I was about 10 although I had lived there all my life. He has an older sister Janet Jackson. So yes it could well be who you're thinking of.

• Upvote 1

Sounds like he is the same person I remember them moving into the house a couple of doors away from us heading towards the boulevard,and yes he did have a sister called Janet,small world,this would be 50 years ago,many thanks for the reply Letsavagoo

Rog

14 hours ago, plantfit said:

Sounds like he is the same person I remember them moving into the house a couple of doors away from us heading towards the boulevard,and yes he did have a sister called Janet,small world,this would be 50 years ago,many thanks for the reply Letsavagoo

Rog

Mick lived at number 13. Still does.

Can't remember what number we lived at probably 17 or 19 assuming the numbers are odds one side of the road and evens on the other,we were only there for about a year or just a bit over  before moving to Clifton,

Rog

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just realised that a nephew & niece of mine were at Berridge possibly later, c. '80s ish, nephew went on to the Bluecoat School.

Kevin & Karen Spilsbury ???

• Upvote 1

Nice to see a few Ties Jill.............even a Cravat and Dickie Bow.............c'mon which are you ?

• Upvote 1

217/8

Sorry boys but I'm not on any of them! My photos are further back on the thread. All but the last of the most recent selection are of the year below me. My friend Jane's little brother, Ian, is wearing a dickie bow.

The final photo is the class I should have been in during 1966  but I was sent up one year due to high numbers in my own year.

• Upvote 1

The last 2 years of Berridge were enjoyable. It was the first 5 and the 6 that came after I left for the Manning that caused the problems! I started school at 4! By the time I turned 5, I'd had enough of it! :angry:

• Upvote 2