Snitching neighbours..

When a neighbour shouts "I'VE TOLD YOUR MAM WHAT YOU DID!" & you dare not go home as you know your Mam will give you a biffing, you have to go home eventually though as - well - you need food, you then sneak in hoping to not be noticed. Never worked with me as Mam'd be waiting & I'd get my biffing..

• Upvote 1

Same here Colly,the ever present Mr bamboo cane near the back door,who said "you'll thank me for this one day" no I wouldn't

Rog

• Upvote 1

My mates persuaded me (as I was only one who had a van, a Bedford Beagle) to take them fishing to Gunthorpe, one asked me to look after his maggots over night, "put them in the fridge" he said. Next morning Mam came storming into my bedroom & battered me: the maggots had got out of their container & gone all over her fridge, she wasn't happy, she also battered my mate when he came round. I was in my late teens.. :) :)

Snitching neighbours reminds me of the time I was about 16, and managed to sneak out of the house, with the spare key to dads Austin A60. I carefully opened the garage door, removed the car, then quietly closed the door. 

I picked up my mates and zoomed off from Bobbers Mill and had a blast down the Radcliffe by-pass.

On returning, I noticed that the garage doors were wide open.

OOh er !  I could hardly deny it could I ? It transpired that the sneaky, nosey busy body neighbour across the road had seen me, and rang my mum. What the old bitch didn't realise, was that her son was one of the lads with me !

• Upvote 4

In '58 I bought a 'doitup', a old nineteen hundred and frozen to death Triumph 3T 350cc motorcycle for the princely sum of £4.

No front brake, electrics mostly U/S and a non starter. The choke didn't work but a guy told me about fresh petrol, covering the carb inlet with my hand and kicking it up. Wow oh wow it worked - dead proud of myself.

Tried it gently down the garden, so far so good.... and Lanthwaite Rd is looking awfully quiet... err what if....

Of course it had to done. Up the road woohoo brilliant, turned round and got carried away, just a smidgen mind you but my brain is now firmly in neutral. At the T junction the top dressing chippings had been swept into a nice triangle. Motorcycles do not stop well with only a back brake and are even less effective on loose road material. No longer boy and machine in perfect harmony but we're now singing from different hymn sheets

Next door but twos' hedge however was extremely good at stopping errant motor bikes. Not so good at stopping the rider.  Bike well and truly buried in privet hedge, yours truly base over apex on the front lawn and a really, really miffed neighbour holding what was left of a rose tree.

'If you don't tell me dad I'll repair the hedge, lawn and buy you a new tree.... honest'.

I replaced the damaged privet with some from our garden, put a bit of turf in the lawn and asked him what the rose tree was called so I could get a new one. 'It's a standard'. 'Whoa that's clever, you said that without moving your lips........  and my dads standing behind me isn't he'?

He had ratted me out whilst I was raiding our hedge for replacements.

Welcome to the 'not sitting down today' club

• Upvote 5

That reminded me of a post I put in "meadows memories" page 6 when one of the neighbours grassed on me for smoking discarded fag ends,fair enough I was only about 5 or 6 but it's still no reason to snitch on me was it?

Rog

• Upvote 1

As a young lad I accidentally shot a marble from my catapult straight through next door's window.

The miserable sod "grassed" me up to my mother. That weren't fair was it !

• Upvote 1

My Mother was psychic, she had to be, she seemed to know I was going to be up to mischief hours before I went out to play.

• Upvote 1

They were probably trained in the art of misdemeanour detection by Pickle Face, hockey mistress at the dreaded Manning School who, in turn, was trained by the Stasi...or was it the Ogpu?  :(

• Upvote 3
  • 2 months later...

When I'd moved to Bestwood Village my mate Jeff & I were shooting peas at people as they came out of the co-op, was great fun. Some grass told Copper John (the Village Bobby) who caught me & threatened to 'put his fist in one ear & it'd come out of the other' then marched me off to Mam where I got a good biffing. Copper John seemed to know everything that went  on in Bestwood Village, if you were up to no good he'd appear from nowhere & you'd suddenly be on best behavour. When I rode my Honda 50 on my 16'th birthday he checked my prov licence, tax, insurance, MOT, lights, tyres, L plates & brakes were all legal first time he clocked me riding it, I couldn't have broke the law if I'd tried. He gave me advice & tips on safe riding as he was a biker himself..

• Upvote 2

When i was 16,mam and dad left me to lookafter the house for a. Weekend whilst they were. Away, under strict orders, only one mate to stay and no alcohol,,,,,,,,,neighbour ratted on me,when she saw my one mate leave early sunday morning, mind you she was lovely,but made such a noise dispensing of the empty bottles. 

• 1 month later...

When I lived on Glapton Road in the Medders some kids would run up & down the entry at the back of our yard. This annoyed me so I knelt on the wall & wee'd over them as they ran past - I got every single one of them, it was a great laugh, well for me it was. Their Mam's turned up at the door with their wet kids telling my Mam what I'd done. I then received a traditional good hiding in front of the wet kids & their Mam's. I was well & truly grassed up that day..

• Upvote 1

And well and truly 'pi55ed' off no doubt !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

When my brother and I was knee high to a grasshopper, mum used to work and arrived home about 4 30. My brother and I used to get home at 4 15. Now being older than my brother I would tell him to do this or that, of course if he didn't obey I would billy whizz him. Now when mum walked down the yard our neighbour would come running out of her house Mrs Pickard they have been at it, fighting again. Of course the saying in those days wait till your dad gets home he'll sort you both out.

When my lad was around 14/15 took him with me for a Christmas Day drink in the Crown, a neighbour from a few doors up came & asked my Joe in front of me how is driving lessons where going, seems he'd been driving my car every time I went out, I still don't like a grass?