Part of the Derbyshire Miners was sold off to a man called Gordon Hawkins, a local businessman who sold his electrical business to Safeways and made a pile. (to be confirmed) He named his site Skegness Sands, and he also had another across the road and one in Chapel, sorry I can't remember the names of the site, but I think the business went under the name of Barhams.. We bought a caravan on his Skegness Sands site and kept it for about nine years. We loved every moment, he kept his site immaculate and his rules were there to protect the owners and their very expensive and some top of the range caravans. The swimming pool is still there, but is now an up to date indoor pool with life guards on duty. Free use at anytime by owners on site and a fee to enter for anyone not on site. Giving that van up was one of the things in life that we regret very much, but afraid we ran out of spare dosh.:rolleyes: 

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Early family outing to Skegness....Uncles Aunts Grandparents cousins..all went for the day by train..about 1950........ Me with my Grandad and Uncle Sonny riding pillion........

Witnessed totally disgusting behaviour on the beach at Skegness today. A man and woman arguing in front of a load of kids then she smacked him one on the head and it all kicked off between them, the p

I love Skegness.  I have lots of lovely memories of going there with my parents when I was little, exciting memories of going on impromptu day trips as a teenager, our honeymoon there and  then taking

Posted Images

Just to add a little more to my tale. Master always wanted to live by the sea, so kids grown up and off hand, decided to sell up and move, (yes you can guess where to) not quite Skeg but the village of Anderby NO not Anderby creek the village of Anderby. Master loved it he had left work and was semi retired, me I'm a town girl hated it. Now being younger than master I had to go to work, went to work in Skegness the only problem was in winter the buses only run every hour till 6 00pm the its about every two hours, I used to finish work at 6 00 pm then if I did catch the bus home it would only take me to the end of the village, I then had to walk about a mile in the dark as street lamps were few and far. will write more later if any one interested.

• Upvote 4

Like Skeggy or not we all have fond memories of the place reading all of these posts

Rog

• Upvote 3

Cleethorpes :wacko:

• Upvote 2

It's Nottingham by the Sea, and that's what is important to US ! 

• Upvote 4
3 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Even though Skeggie is our closest seaside town I have only ever been there for a day trip other than spending an awful week in a caravan at Ingoldmells in the early 60s.  The item that Phil has quoted is putting Skegness alongside Damascus and the North Korean capital of Pyongyang.  Well given a choice of holiday destinations out of that lot I know where I'd rather be!  After all, it is so bracing .....

Pyongyang hey Lizzie................lol.

Don't know why, Ben, but I have a mental image of you being born in a suit and tie and the midwife saying, "Oh, isn't he smart! He'll go far in life! What's this he's clutching in his pudgy little hand? Oh, it's a Marsden's price list! Dinneford's Gripe Water 2/6!"

;)

• Upvote 7

Went to Cleethorpes a couple of years back. Not pleasant at all! I'm not the biggest fan of Skegness but much prefer it to Cleethorpes, having said that as a kid we always went to Mablethorpe, still enjoying going for a day out there!

• Upvote 2

I've probably got three memories of going to Skeggy .

The first was standing on the beach , crying my eyes out as the wind-blown sand was stinging my legs (shorts only then ! ) . It was so bad that it was like being stung by thousands of sharp needles.

Second memory was much later when my wife and I rented a chalet at Butlins . When it rained ,  water ran down the walls . My mum and dad visited us during one of the days and mum had brought some cooked pork with her . It can't have travelled well in the car as next day we began to feel ill , then our joints started to lock up ! Decided to head home and even had difficulty turning the steering wheel .

Third memory must have been 1980 when we bought an old second-hand caravan on a site next to Butlins . Think we paid about £180 for it , luxury it wasn't ! 

Got off to a bad start as when cleaning out on the first day , found maggots in the under-seat storage . I don't think we stayed in it again that year . Sold it to a pal the next year when we moved to the S.West .

I don't actually remember this but sure it's at Skegness . My big bro and me. What a hat !

8593994125_615a4a151c_c.jpg

• Upvote 6

Butlins accommodation is certainly much better now - we go there to Spring Harvest most Easters.  I suppose people expect a better standard of room/apartment these days, unlike the older 'Wakey, wakey' type holidays.  We, too, bought a static caravan at Ingoldmells - Golden Sands' - but that was around 1972.  An auntie of mine had died and left me some money so we invested in a new caravan costing £650!!  It was lovely and we spent lots of time there at weekends and holidays, but the site rent kept increasing, we didn't have as much time for one reason and another and we weren't allowed to sell it privately, only to the site owner at a very low price.  At the end, this is what we had to do in about 1977.  We then bought a very old 10' tourer which barely accommodated 2 adults, 3 children and a dog.  Our daughter used to have to sleep on the floor with the dog!!  but we used to have some great holidays.  

• Upvote 7

I had  tourers  for many years, and was a member of the Caravan Club too. To give us much more space, I had an awning, and my daughters used to sleep in there, weather permitting ! 

We had some fantastic holidays the length and breadth of the country, but especially Devon and Cornwall. Happy Days indeed !

• Upvote 2

Skegness, you know what I think about that place. Give me somewhere hot and where it never rains. I would much sooner be looking at this than the Jolly Fisherman. Just a thought, wouldn't this look great in the middle of Bulwell market

DSCN0433_zpsskbfesbs.jpg

• Upvote 1

More likely to have a statue of a chav complete with fag in one hand,mobile phone in the other and wearing leggins,oh and a few kids in tow

slywink

Rog

Margie, re#42, F in Law bought a static on Golden Sands in 1974 so we probably saw each other at some time walking over the "pullover" beside the amusement arcade on the way to the beach.

• Upvote 1

Love it or loath it, Skegness and the other East Coast resorts have  been a Mecca for East Midlands tourists for well over 100 years. First, the railways, then charabanc's, coaches, then the private car. 

I well remember dad, hurrying me and mum , in order to leave home no later than 8, as he wanted to be away before the coaches from Huntingdon St. He hated being behind a string of slow moving coaches holding us up, and belching out clouds of diesel fumes. 

We took our youngest daughter, and her youngest daughter for a most enjoyable day during the summer holidays last year. 

We parked up at the north end and walked along the front, up Lumley Rd, down the Main Street, then back to the car. We pulled in several amusement arcades where we disgorged several pounds worth of 2p's, cafes, ice cream parlour, sea food stall, various rides (not me I might add), fish and chips near the pier, donut stall etc. All finished off with a lovely ride along the front in a wonderful Landau, pulled by a charming but very greedy pony.

A fabulous day was had, and 'little un' slept all the way home.

• Upvote 3
28 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

Where's my post gone. It took me several goes to post it, now I've just edited one word, and the blessed thing has vanished !

Ah, as if by magic, it's back ! Thanks.

Many happy memories of Skeggy, learn't to swim there on a day trip into Butlins with my great aunt, donuts, fish and chips all happy times.

Then when I was a teenager I decided to go there on my pushbike with a mate and camp, camped on the sand hills somewhere to the north side and a bloody gale came in and blew the tent away in the middle of the night ! skidaddled back to home like a wet rat next morning.

Still head to the east coast for a day trip, usually Cleethorpes first then head down to Mablethorpe and skeg and back to nottm, when I return to the uk for a holiday.

Took our youngest daughter last trip and she was not impressed with the east coast, she was a baby when we emigrated so has no memory of England at all.

She looked at the muddy coloured sea and gasped "god people are actually going in there !"

• Upvote 1

Commo, yes, our paths may well have crossed in Ingoldmells in the 70s!  Strange isn't it... ...  Although  in 1974  I would have been aged 31 with 3 young children (7, 6 and 4) so probably would have been keeping my eye on them for most of the time!  Our pitch on that site was D 149 - I remember because it was painted on our dustbin!  There were steps over the dunes going directly from that site.  We loved it there at that time in our lives.