Skeggy - Smell of out of date chip oil, brown Windsor soup sea, cold wind and family groups on the sand huddled up trying to stay warm. Just some of my abiding memories.

Mablethorpe - Ghost town with a slightly sad air about it

Cleethorpes - The only holiday I ever had as a child. Grandma took my younger brother and my self to stay in what was called a chalet. A wooden hut with no running water or drains. Grandad thought it hilarious when Gran locked and bolted the door to keep out the smell when the men came to empty the toilet. I was about 6 so it can't have made much of an impression if that's all I can remember.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Early family outing to Skegness....Uncles Aunts Grandparents cousins..all went for the day by train..about 1950........ Me with my Grandad and Uncle Sonny riding pillion........

Witnessed totally disgusting behaviour on the beach at Skegness today. A man and woman arguing in front of a load of kids then she smacked him one on the head and it all kicked off between them, the p

I love Skegness.  I have lots of lovely memories of going there with my parents when I was little, exciting memories of going on impromptu day trips as a teenager, our honeymoon there and  then taking

Posted Images

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 6:44 PM, plantfit said:

Like Skeggy or not we all have fond memories of the place reading all of these posts

Rog

I have never been to Skegness !!!!!!

# 53, Gem

I bet you've been to Seaton Carew ........ Skegness is just as appealing! 

We were staying with relatives in Sedgefield about 40 years ago and asked where was a nice seaside town we could visit.  They pointed us to Seaton Carew, oh dear!  

• Upvote 1

#54 Lizzie

Never more than once . they could have sent you to South Shields  slightly better.  The Northumberland coast has some of the most beautiful beaches in the country. If  you ever visit  the north  east coast  there are also castles and churches to see.  Weather permitting.

I do not work for the tourist board   LOL

• Upvote 2

Cleethorpes always had a strange fascination for me,..........never holidayed there but worked there alot in my days with VG stores and the Coop...........on the one hand you could say it was miserable and very run down,...........with some miserable people,..........ie.............Fish/chip cafe on entering greeted me with 'We close in ten minutes'........another Cafe where i complained i had an Hair in my Cob'.....yes its the new girl we are training her''........Dolphin Hotel (that was) told me 'you can't stay next week Kenny Ball and his Jazzmen have booked the hotel''..........i'd stayed every week for about a year).........got threatened in the Winter Gardens on 'grab a Granny night' by some Fisherman who's Wife had been playing away,.........mistaken identity honest.

Then there was the good side of the place.........made lots of friends,including an Alderman who was a very keen supporter of Grimsby Town and a Director,who took me to many matches home and away and introduced me to all and sundry including Laurie Mcnenamy...........then there was a brilliant Barber i frequented for an early morning 'Wet shave' before work,......and a great Restaurant on Cleethorpes road called the Salamander' where all the traveling Salesman and the like would meet every lunch time to exchange contacts..........and i used to do interviews at a place called the 'Ice House' a Christian meeting place,Theatre,shop and Cafe,..........where i was always made most welcome............so yes Cleethorpes/Grimsby very mixed for me........prefer Skeggy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Thanks Loppy,.............big ugly git he was just back from 3 weeks at sea,.......he nearly got it right.........it was my predecessor who had been messing with his Mrs,................lol.

No names no pack drill,as they say.............but trogg new his brother....................lol.

Like it or loath it

June 17th will be there for the over 55s bowls week.

Dare any member to join us!!!

We are going to Goth weekend in Whitby near the end of April then onto Nottingham to visit relatives.   THEN going to Skegness hubby says he doesn't know what I am expecting so i will keep an open mind.

Hope to take my 91 year old mother to Skegness for the day this June when in the UK for a week. She always likes to have a meal of Fish and Chips and a cup of tea at the coast.Same  thing at Matlock when i do a run up to Monsal Head in Derbyshire.Some great restaurants in Matlock.

• Upvote 4

Witnessed totally disgusting behaviour on the beach at Skegness today. A man and woman arguing in front of a load of kids then she smacked him one on the head and it all kicked off between them, the police turned up and the policeman ended up using his baton on the bloke but the man actually managed to get the baton off the copper and started hitting the copper and the woman with it.
Then a crocodile turned up and stole all the sausages as the man shouted "That's the way to do it"!!

• Upvote 9
3 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

There's nowt so entertaining as a bit of domestic violence!  ;)

I agree Jill, too much husband beating going on these days !

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:36 AM, philmayfield said:

Wanted to my make my annual new year's day trip to Skegness today but no-one wants to come with me because it's raining . So if you see a sad and lonely figure with a multicoloured umbrella walking along the promenade it will be me! 

Awe bless........

Catfan #62   Thank you for the picture will give them a try.    Would you be kind enough to recommend a first class hotel looked on line but not sure where they are in Skegness.   Many thanks in advance.

Gem

• 1 year later...

Planning permission has gone in to open a strip club in Skegness. make a change to "hunt the disposable nappy" on the beach I suppose

Rog.

ps: heard yesterday that East Lindsey council are closing the public toilets in Skegness

• Like 1