We’re going on a day trip to Skeg in 3 weeks time  when we take our daughter and friend to a Butlins break!    

• Like 3
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Early family outing to Skegness....Uncles Aunts Grandparents cousins..all went for the day by train..about 1950........ Me with my Grandad and Uncle Sonny riding pillion........

Witnessed totally disgusting behaviour on the beach at Skegness today. A man and woman arguing in front of a load of kids then she smacked him one on the head and it all kicked off between them, the p

I love Skegness.  I have lots of lovely memories of going there with my parents when I was little, exciting memories of going on impromptu day trips as a teenager, our honeymoon there and  then taking

Posted Images

6 hours ago, MargieH said:

We’re going on a day trip to Skeg in 3 weeks time  when we take our daughter and friend to a Butlins break!    

Booked for a week. Off in two weeks time. Post lockdown.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Strange as it may seen, I didnt go to Skeggy until I was about 19. I belonged to a hiking group and one of the members worked for a coach company. He hired one for the day and we all traipsed to Skeggy. Then a bit later my boss had a caravan at Golden Sands Mablethorpe and my friends and I spent a week there including a day at Skeg. Can't say Id like to see it again. Do you still have to walk miles to have a paddle?

Nor Seaton Carew.  We stayed with family in Sedgefield for a few days many years ago.  Thought we’d take the kids to the seaside and asked for a recommendation from our host ....... he thought it very funny when we arrived back and told him what we thought of the place.  

• Like 1

I love Skegness.  I have lots of lovely memories of going there with my parents when I was little, exciting memories of going on impromptu day trips as a teenager, our honeymoon there and  then taking our children and dog there for day trips.  I still feel a bit of a buzz when I go to Skeg even now.  Maybe it’s because of the memories of times that have gone forever... but I’ll always have a special place in my heart for Skeg, Ingoldmells (where we had a static caravan when the kids were young) and Chapel St Leonard’s.
I always like to go and have a chat with the donkeys on the beach because I probably knew their grandparents long ago....

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Margie I can understand your memories on loving Skegness. I have some lovely memories travelling by train and getting very excited to be going to see my grandparents who lived by the sea, and later going by car to the same place looking out for landmarks. ( Are we nearly there daddy) The emotions entering past the abbey in Barrow then later catching the bus to go to Walney Island. Meeting my cousins again and friends next door to my auntie Gwennie and the milkman and his family next door to my auntie Irene. Seeing Trixie the dog and the budgie that swore and asked where the vicar was.  My uncle Tommy was a butcher and walking along the main road I'd always pop in to say hello.

Passing my school holidays there I went on my own. Met loads of friends of my cousins and when I got the train to go home instead of waving goodbye on the platform they always followed the rail track and waved and cheered from the bank, making other passengers looking slightly amused.

As you say lovely memories, we all have them.

• Like 2

My last visit to Skeggy was when we went on a craft weekend to Butlins. Went in to Skeg on the bus, had a walk round, got into a barney with 'er indoors. She stormed off and walked straight into a bus stop ! Split her eyebrow open, so I redeemed myself by treating the wound with sterastrips. She wouldn't let me stitch it. !

• Like 1

I remember years ago, when we were in the Morgan Sports Car Club, we went on an organised visit to a flag factory in Skegness. It was right in the centre of town near some tennis courts and off the famous Lumley Rd., (the fish and chip shop area!). I’d never been to a flag factory before so it was an unusual experience. There’s still a flag factory in the area but it’s moved out to Burgh le Marsh. If you ever need a bespoke flag that’s the place to go.

Skegness will soon be the ‘go-to’ resort on the UK coast now that The Mellors Group have bought Skegness Pier as well as owning Fantasy Island up the road in Ingoldmells.  Can’t wait to spend a couple of weeks there.  

SKEGNESS 

Get in the make-over team

"Revamp is Needed"

Many happy holidays when me Mam took us as kids, spent many fantastic still talked about teenage weekends with mates, sexual experiences, stag nights, football trips, not missed many Bank Holidays, biked it, many happy memories with Mrs Red, my kids & granddaughter, family & friends maybe you’ve been going to Skegy with the wrong people? 

• Like 6

We talk about Skeg in a derogatory way same as some people talk about Bulwell.........mostly tongue in cheek......but for most of us Skegness has great memories of times past with our Parents even Grandparents...and as RR says weekends and day trips with our mates as Teenagers.......then taking our own children.......

There's just sumat comforting about the place......it feels like a second home town.........

• Like 5

Change Bangor to Skegness ....and we'll have a luverly day.......

• Like 1

Any one got 5/- for a jug of tea, 6 cups & sauces plus 2/6 deposit.

Best time to go to Chaple st Lenords is Christmas, they all trim up there homes, if you have not seen there diplay then do visit.

Mabelthorp Go in winter they have motor bike racing on the beach.

PS   June 17th Bowls week all go enjoy.

I’ve never stayed overnight in Skeggy but been on ‘day trips’, the most recent was about 5 years ago when we took the dog for a walk on the beach.  Paid for 2 hours parking and only stayed for about 90 minutes!  
Bank Holiday Mondays were always good fun in the 60s, waiting for the Mods and Rockers to kick off but watching from a distance. You’d always bump into someone you knew.  Certainly when I was very young we’d go to Mablethorpe for a week in a boarding house.
We used to go to Scarborough or sometimes Ilfracombe when I was a bit older, I’ve not been to either for probably 45 years, suppose they’ve changed in that time.  

On the lunchtime iron horse to Skeg tomorrow for a week.

At least Skeg is not on any of Boris's amber or red lists so no need to quarantine when we return !

• Like 2