• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Early family outing to Skegness....Uncles Aunts Grandparents cousins..all went for the day by train..about 1950........ Me with my Grandad and Uncle Sonny riding pillion........

Witnessed totally disgusting behaviour on the beach at Skegness today. A man and woman arguing in front of a load of kids then she smacked him one on the head and it all kicked off between them, the p

I love Skegness.  I have lots of lovely memories of going there with my parents when I was little, exciting memories of going on impromptu day trips as a teenager, our honeymoon there and  then taking

Posted Images

I would love to visit Skeggy on Gnu Year's Day but at roughly 550 miles from me, it is rather a long way :(

• Upvote 1

We were there Christmas day,lovely day,quite mild but a bit breezy,we went to Matlock Bath today,as you say rained all the time but you only live once and my skin is waterproof

Rog

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

I wonder what criteria were used to decide that Skegness is so bad...  I love Skegness!

• Like 1

They probably compare it to places like resorts in the Med or exotic places in the Pacific,bet you can't get fish and chips or donuts as good as Skeggies on a Pacific island though

Rog

My memories of Skeggy are the Jolly Fisherman at the railway station and walking from there down Lumley road, the smells of fish and chips, the rock shops and the sounds of the amusement arcades. Left at the clock tower for the pleasure park and pier. Fish and chips for lunch, a pint or two for dad and a shandy for mum. A game of cricket on the beach. Right for the boating lake and the late afternoon walk back to the station pausing to pick up some rock novelties on the way.

• Upvote 2

Even though Skeggie is our closest seaside town I have only ever been there for a day trip other than spending an awful week in a caravan at Ingoldmells in the early 60s.  The item that Phil has quoted is putting Skegness alongside Damascus and the North Korean capital of Pyongyang.  Well given a choice of holiday destinations out of that lot I know where I'd rather be!  After all, it is so bracing .....

• Upvote 1
42 minutes ago, Michael Booth said:

If you go out with the intention of having a good time then you'll have a good time whether

it be Skegness or anywhere else. :)

I always go to Skeggie with the intention of having a good time but it's yet to happen. I'll keep trying though!

• Upvote 1

We love Skeggy, l think most of you know by now that Skegness is where my hubbs and I met in 1964. The long term holiday romance. Don't listen to anyone who tells you it wont last!!! 

Whilst bringing our children up and living in West Mids, Towyn near Ryhll was our yearly  (one week holiday destination), simply because it was the closest by coach. Since they have grown and fled the nest we are free to choose our hols every year. Guess where we go.....Skeggy.

These days we choose it mainly because we can cycle for miles and hardly see a hill. 18miles to Mablethorpe from Winthorpe (not forgetting the 18miles back again) and about two miles to Skegness town center. I love the place.

These days we are fortunate to have more holidays a year but Skegness is always one of them. Two weeks booked for September, and even though we have two more hols before it, that is the place I look forward to most.

Just love to watch the South American musicians ( not sure of the nationalities) in their feather headdress and traditional costumes playing their music and dancing outside the Hildreds center. Then it's off up chip alley for lunch, a slow walk along the front and then back on our cycles to Winthorpe, Love the place.

PS Phil, Know what you mean about Rhyll!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

I can't remember much activity at Towyn when we used to take the children late 60s, but it fit in with our limited budget at the time

Wincups caravan site or Palins just across the road were our holiday stays for a few years late 1960s. No televisions, and for a fee we could rent a radio for the week. A visit to the camp site club until about 9pm each day, just to ware the kids out, a burger on the walk back to the van and then put the sleepy kids to bed and stare at the wall  till bedtime. lol. Give me Skeggy any day.

• Upvote 3
43 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I always go to Skeggie with the intention of having a good time but it's yet to happen. I'll keep trying though!

When you go to Skegness do you hope it will be just like when you were a teenager?   If so, you will certainly be disappointed unless you go on all the rides, spend money in the arcades, paddle in the sea, say hello to the donkeys, get a bit tipsy, meet a new girl (of course you can't do that as you are married!!) have a cuddle in the sandunes (you can still do this with your wife!) and all of this in beautiful sunny weather..... except the sandune bit - this may be more appropriate when the sun's gone down!

• Upvote 4

Always magic is Skeggy............remember sleeping on the Dunes as a teenager with two mates from Marsdens in our suits and ties,after two pints and being really pi55ed,........then couple of years later being more sophisticated taking a girl in my car,and slipping the Barman ten bob' at Happy days holiday camp on Trunch lane,for the use of a Caravan for the night,.........no expense spared with me ya know...........lol.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Not been for a year or two but me and the wife still love it when we do..............stay at a half decent Hotel on the front........and heres the secret of making it still exciting.................i go out by myself..........and find a pub/bar........an hour later this lovely lady walks in,and buys herself a drink.........i naturally move in in and offer to pay for it...........and after some playful banter realise we know each other from way back........and you know one thing leads to another................and the wife still likes my little games.........LOL.

• Upvote 8

Skegness (Nottingham by the sea) I think most of us don't like it because we spent most of our childhood there. Used to always stay on Stow's Manor Farm  caravan site. From slop buckets, gas mantels to real pluming and electric lights. Dad won at bingo and sent me of to the hairdresser's to have a perm (first ever perm) what a site I looked, use to go to Derbyshire holiday camp to swim in there out side pool cost 6d, Linger longer chippy (why is it called that) well you get your chips open with salt/vinegar in news paper, and start eating when you get to the caravan site their is the rubbish bin, it just take's that amount of  time  no longer or shorter. Also met my first boyfriend and had my first kiss in Skeg still remember his name and his address but not telling. Getting older spent each weekend at Stow's with 6 friends  and children used to have a ball, went on the beach one night and found the trampoline's not locked so you can imagine after having a few drinks  what happened. Next night all trampoline's were locked. 

• Upvote 7