Does anyone remember or maybe still in touch with Bernard Bielby or George L Roberts ? Both took photo's of Nottingham buildings in the sixties and seventies, it would be great if Bernard was still around and had copies of certain pics he took,

Regards, Terry.

Thanks Cliff Ton, that's where I saw the names, I'm still trying to find more about the former lace factory at 100 Talbot Street that was Dakins before the fire of 1969. I was hoping to track those two chaps down (although they must be fairly elderly) as I know photographers generally keep copies of their work.

There's a great picture of Lambert Cottages on PTP, taken when Dakins was demolished and the new Bowman house was put up. A rare full frontal pic, I think.

17 hours ago, fogrider said:

I was hoping to track those two chaps down (although they must be fairly elderly)

If you haven't already tried it, 'Picture the Past' would probably know whether the two are still alive and contactable. PTP will have that information from whoever supplied them with the photos which are on the site. The photos might have come direct from Messrs Beilby and Roberts, or they may have come via whoever looks after their estate. Whatever the source, PTP will know something.

And in the list of people who photographed Nottingham in those years, don't forget the work of Reg Baker.

Finally got hold of someone at PTP , apparently Bernard Bielby passed away sometime ago but his photographic records were fortunately  passed to the local studies department at Central library. PTP only digitize the ones they borrow from that place.

The young feller at PTP said there may well be more of Talbot Street . Another visit to Nottingham is required, be interesting to see what is left of Central Fire Station.....

Regards, Terry.

• Upvote 1
45 minutes ago, fogrider said:

be interesting to see what is left of Central Fire Station.....

Get there while you can...Central Fire Station and Police HQ and Guildhall are all still there at the moment, but not for much longer.

This is the Fire Station from the rear, after they'd left the building.

DSC_7342_zpssq2hhw5h.jpg

I can understand the logic of that decision.  You would still think it would be a good idea to have a couple of engines downtown especially when the building doesn't look rundown.  Product of the political mind I guess.  :rolleyes:

One thing I wonder about the site is what will happen to the caves underneath?  There are basements under the fire station and two levels of caves under the station yard and police buildings. They were the command centre in the cold war era, can't see them being filled in, but , in this modern world, who knows ?