Just a bit of an heads up with regard to petrol powered garden equipment, I know some people drain the petrol from their machines when they have finished with them for the year but there are a few that leave the petrol in the tanks in the hope that they will start in the spring but,,,,with this new E10 petrol rubbish DO NOT put it in your mowers/strimmers/hedgecutters etc, it is no good for them, I had some in a vintage engine fuel tank that I left in at the end of the season so it had been standing a couple of months, there was only about half a cup full of the stuff so I emptied it this morning and poured it in my burning bin, when I came to light it nothing happened it had lost all it's volatile properties and was like water, if you leave this stuff in your machines and it just attracts water it will start to corrode the internals of the fuel system and maybe more which can be very expensive so if you buy fuel for the machines make sure you get E5 NOT E10

Rog

I use Aspen fuel in my two strokes and that can be left in all year round. It's expensive but chain saws and the like don’t use much fuel. For my four strokes I add Briggs and Stratton fuel stabiliser to the petrol. I been doing this since the advent of E 10 and have experienced no problems. I’m starting to go electric with some kit and have both large and small battery powered chain saws, a strimmer, a lawnmower and drills. 

• Like 1

I got my three strimmers, mower,  scarifier plus my vintage engines but stick to E5, going to look out for some of that B&S fuel stabiliser though now you mention it, I don't like draining stuff off at the end of the season because what can you do with it, no good saving it, anyway had the mower ticking over today along with the little suffolk engine, managed to get the throttle sorted on the mower by putting a small piece of flexi tubing under the adjusting nut so she now runs a treat, new part arrived for the fuel system on the diesel 1960 Lister ST1 so a job for tomorrow, I would like to put the bits back on the 1950 Lister D but might leave that  bit longer

Rog

I think they’ve got the fuel stabiliser at Mower Magic at Hykeham, I’ve bought it from Amazon and from Reg Taylor’s at Southwell. I bought my son an Ego electric mower from Mower Magic and it was so good I got one for myself to do the bits where the ride on can’t get. I fitted it with a mulching blade so I don’t have to collect the grass. There’s nowhere round here that sells E5.

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

I think they’ve got the fuel stabiliser at Mower Magic at Hykeham, I’ve bought it from Amazon and from Reg Taylor’s at Southwell. I bought my son an Ego electric mower from Mower Magic and it was so good I got one for myself to do the bits where the ride on can’t get. I fitted it with a mulching blade so I don’t have to collect the grass. There’s nowhere round here that sells E5.

Get my E5 from the A46 island at Hykeham, my nearest fuel station

Rog

Mr B always puts E5 in the strimmer and generator for this very reason for the allotment and leaves the strimmer as empty as poss over winter. Actually managed to get to the allotment this week, very wet but still loads I can be doing. Thank goodness we’re now “no dig”, thanks to the guru that is Charles Dowding. My garlic is coming up in the polytunnel and am collecting my Charlotte potatoes at the end of the month ready for chitting and then into IKEA blue bags when ready. 
My camellia at home has lots of flower buds coming on it so slowly (very, so don’t be tempted to go mad sowing!) things are looking up.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, plantfit said:

electric mower

An electric mower has completed my transition to all electric power cable-free garden tools.

Great piece of kit, hold a lever, press a button and away it goes, it is self-propelled too and almost makes mowing the lawn a pleasure. It has a mulch plug, whatever that is, never used it, or a standard catcher. I get three full mows before a charge and if I forget it only takes 90 minutes for a full recharge.

• Like 1

We have a chargeable mower too, our garden at home is the size of a postage stamp, thankfully we have a full size allotment round the corner for growing our fruit and veg. Brian (Mr B) uses the rechargeable for the paths there too-ideal. The generator is used for any construction work there like wood sawing. After over 10 years think we have it sorted just right.

• Like 1

Blow it, I said I wasn't going to fire my vintage engines up just yet but after talking to a couple of mates about the old stuff I decided this weekend I'm going to have a "Crank up" engine mans talk for fire the old girls up and give them a good run, just need to put some parts back on them that have been stored in a shed for the winter then in with some E5 fuel in the petrols and some diesel in the ST and start swinging them handles

P1080344.jpg

Rog

Well that didn't go to plan, rain stopped play although I did get the joining pipe fitted to the ST diesel and got a soaking doing it so today was spent mainly in the shed polishing the brass fittings and copper pipework for the Lister D, a short service on the Lucas RS1 magneto as well, cleaned and re-gapped the points, oiled the bearings, cleaned the inside of the cap and gave it a good wipe over so not a wasted day, maybe one day in the week I might strike them up,  in the meantime I still got the little compressor to work on make sure all the fittings are air tight the inside is nice and dry and give it a good wipe over, I fitted the new rubber feet to it yesterday so I'm now on the lookout for a double outlet connector one for the regulated pressure gauge and the other for the main outlet so I got plenty to do oh and Monday morning I will be serving tea and coffee down at the village hall

Rog

2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Just looked at your village hall online Rog. What a splendid new building! I have a passing interest in village halls as my wife is the bookings manager, treasurer and general dogsbody at our village hall, an old Victorian school building.

Our village hall is a nice little venue but the car park is only fit for about four vehicles, the one I serve tea and coffee at is down in Bassingham at the Hammond hall, massive car park alongside the playing field, you probably know where I mean, but I do agree with you about ours, I thinks it's about nine quid an hour to rent for locals and maybe a couple of quid more for non locals

Coffee_morning_ride_(2).jpg

Rog

14 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I often pass through Bassingham. I've seen that hall. Does Sarah Jory the singer and pedal guitarist still live there?

Don't know mate, but next time you passing on a Monday morning 9 til 11.30 I'll buy you a tea or coffee

Rog

• Like 1

Some shiny bits off the Lister D and the compressor is now working, a productive morning so far.  I know, nothing to do with Mowers or tractors but could be classed as agricultural

DSCF1964.jpg

DSCF1962.jpg

Rog

23 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Top picture, lovely base colour to put roses on. :rolleyes:

Genuine Lister Dark Bruinswick green enamel same as all my engines

Trolley_with_handles_fitted_(5).jpg

Rog

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Still think I could do wonders with me paints. thumbsup

I know you could mate and it would look great but,,,,,what would the other engine men say slywink

Rog

Apart from being green with envy, I'm sure they'd never speak to us again.

I'd be accused of utter desecration, by the purists.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Apart from being green with envy, I'm sure they'd never speak to us again.

I'd be accused of utter desecration, by the purists.

I get quite a few comments about some of my restoration jobs, people saying "Thats not the correct colour or the right kind of tyres" or "Now you've pained that it's lost it's value" I reply with, "Well it's my bike/engine/model etc and I like the way it is and I enjoy restoring things, I'm not in it to make money" that usually calms things down mate

Rog

• Like 1

As the thread says,......you could always answer, "your right, its the wrong colour, but it's my fecking mower"!

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Beekay said:

As the thread says,......you could always answer, "your right, its the wrong colour, but it's my fecking mower"!

thumbsup