The hanging of Teddy

Some readers noticed a hanging teddy bear in a photo of my shed in a gardening thread and were wondering what he was doing there.  His origin is off topic for the Gardening topic so I have brought him into here instead:  Can you see him in the photo?

Teddy, the story:  When I returned from living abroad in 1988 I took a house rent until I got on my feet.  Looking for some way of getting into the area where I was living, I became a stage hand at the local "Little Theatre" club, in a theatre that had been converted from a 1930s cinema by an international building contractor, who happened to have an interest in theatre.  There were a couple of store rooms behind the stage that needed clearing out, so my hand went up as a volunteer.  Right at the back of all the junk hung Teddy - from a rafter!  No-one wanted him so I took him home.  He stayed with me until I arrived at my current address in 1994 - where he has hung ever since. Well.....it would be a shame not to leave him hanging - after all, he was used to it and may have been upset to have been cut down in his prime :) 

33485368890_b4e12ce7c5_c.jpg

• Upvote 6

I think it's disgraceful that the poor teddy bear should spend its life hanging from a rafter.

Every teddy bear deserves to be loved and cuddled in a childs bed so we need to organize a rescue party.

I've been looking down the list of Nottstalgians but I'm struggling to find one fit enough to climb up the ladder. :biggrin:

• Upvote 6

Perhaps Siddha could hook him down with his fly fishing gear,I could volunteer to shoot him down, Nonna could tempt him down with some fine food,Carni would tempt him down with a cream cake (if she could Bear to let one go)or you could just ask Compo to let him down

Rog

• Upvote 4

I might be persuaded to free him should anyone be sufficiently concerned to plead a case for his release - mind you; it would have to be a good case. :)

Well  Compo, I believe you should release him after all he don't have the guts to plead for himself and why should he spend all day just hanging around when I could be put to more productive use like bringing happiness to a small child should one visit you museum of Tat,startup his own facebook account and see how many followers he gets,you could auction him off and make a donation to the dolls hospital (if it still exists)

Rog

• Upvote 4

I take the point about the museum, Plantfit, and I am considering cutting Teddy down from the shed rafters and hanging him in the museum - would that fit the bill, do you think?  Facebook?  That might also be worth a consideration....

• Upvote 1

I think it would be a good idea,cut him down after all nobody wants an unproductive teddy hanging about all day,put him in the museum and make him work for his bowl of porridge,lazy little sod,how long has he been tossing it off in the rafters?I should imagine too long,if all that fails to get him to earn his keep you could always use him as a cleaning rag to clean off your mowers,I know this might cause a bit of a stir but in these days of belt tightening you cannot afford to carry any dead weight,just my thoughts

Rog

• Upvote 1

Den, it is nice to think of a mate for Teddy but how would you know which gender to look for?  And for that matter, what gender is Teddy anyway?  You've all been saying 'him' but there are female teddies.... there's Tessie Bear in the animated Noddy series for one.....  Also, there is a toddler living in this village who is called Teddy (Theodora  actually) 

Got to be a male teddy Margie because he's just hanging around all day whereas a female teddy would be in the house doing all the housework and cooking

Rog  slywink

• Upvote 1

It sure is LL. NS is a place where the present is confronted, and is enriched by the past.

• Upvote 3

Here's a picture of a teddy I found on the shore of the Magellan Straits at the southern tip of south America back in 2007.  I would have rescued him but he was soaking wet and falling to pieces.  Instead, I put him on a wall just in case anyone would like to mend him.  I wish I had saved him now.....

22914906726_80733788df_c.jpg