Weekday Cross viaducts demolished

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A potted history of the area's arches and buildings including Garner's Hill garden. The narrative helpfully suggests  that the Contemporary visually combines the old and new, which I may be inclined t

Found this lovely painting/print of Weekday Cross:  

There must be a topic covering this subject so if you are an admin, please let me know where it is so that I can use it for any future postings.    Malt Mill Lane.....is that Harry Lime?

I think the main reason is that the land in that area now carries a high value.

And anyway I think the viaduct was looking a bit of an eyesore.

I think you may? find the arches are/were(until recently) owned by Railtrack

There still remains the one of the last bits of the Nottingham Suburban Railway at Trent Lane (same blue bricks)

I am as nostalgic as anyone else when I think of the times I watched the trains cross that Viaduct but they never will again and maybe some of the old structures should go. I still remember the big one out here at Jacksdale being demolished and in that case it did improve the skyline somewhat. Of course there are exceptions the most obvious being Monsal in Derbyshire which is spectacular and I still have not given up hope that one day they may reinstate the track there.

• Upvote 1

I will always remember Bulwell Viaduct on the Great Central. I also agree about Monsal Dale viaduct on the Midland line to Manchester.

One still very much in use near where i now live, Welwyn viaduct on the Great Northern main line.

Forty Bridges AKA Giltbrook Viaduct on the GNR Awsworth Junc. to Pinxton line was very picturesque. Pity that had to come down.

• Upvote 3

I have a map of Broad/Middle/Narrow Marsh before the G.C.R/G.N.R. were built.

There were seven or eight? public houses on Narrow Marsh(Red Lion Street/Cliff Road) alone.

Quite a few properties were "lost" when the railway came on Middle Hill,Middle Marsh,Plum Street etc.

• 1 month later...

I am saddened to just read that the last part of the old viaduct forming Weekday Cross has been demolished.

If I had known that this was happening, I would have gone over to ask for one on the blue bricks.

Cannot think of anything else to say on this at the moment so going to take the dog for a walk.......

Smiffy

I loved to pass through this area as a child.

Although the backdrop was mainly bricks and mortar it had a lovely atmosphere.

Getting off the bus with my Mother in the late 1950's, I would always ask if we could go "up the steps" to town instead of the route past Woolworths.

Turning round hallway up, you could see the tops of buses and the converging railways lines.

If you were really lucky a glimpse of a train bursting out of the tunnel.

I remember years later in my teens coming down those steps one dusky evening, just as a locomotive clunked past on it's way south.

The glow from the firebox lit up the signal box windows as it hurried along.

Does anyone know what's going to be built on the space that is now left?

Smiffy

• Upvote 2

Getting off the bus with my Mother in the late 1950's, I would always ask if we could go "up the steps" to town instead of the route past Woolworths.

Turning round hallway up, you could see the tops of buses and the converging railways lines.

If you were really lucky a glimpse of a train bursting out of the tunnel.

I remember it well, and thanks to the RCTS....... http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/index.htm?location=Weekday+Cross&srch=&page=

• Upvote 1

Cliff Ton....thanks for providing the above link.

While browsing through their mystery and ROT photos, I came across an old photo of the ROT 'Rec' amongst their mystery photos so I was able to confirm the identity of the location, railway line and approximate time frame. Feel quite chuffed now!

• Upvote 1

I was just about to go out Firbeck, when I saw the picture you have just posted !

Just had to log on again and say - fantastic, evocative, what memories !!

Smiffy

Bilbraborn sitting bottom left at Weekday Cross viaduct, plus the bus station as well, and the demolished girder bridge over Midland Station in the distance, looks like Bilbraborn is considering a chat with the fireman of the 8F and vice versa, I hope it was polite. Iron ore from High Dyke to Stanton Ironworks methinks. Can you recall matey, I'd just been sitting in one of the caves in the dark near the Ice Stadium trying to load a colour film into my brothers 35mm camera, it proved a disaster, my colour slides of the following Merchant Navy Pacific were destroyed by Kodak, such is life.

fan33-1.jpg

• Upvote 4

I'm further away than you ! I must have signed up to their Facebook page and got the notification that way .

In the comments is this link so assume this is what was shown ?

http://www.nottstv.com/videos?id=39