Weekday Cross viaducts demolished

Bilbraborn sitting bottom left at Weekday Cross viaduct, plus the bus station as well, and the demolished girder bridge over Midland Station in the distance, looks like Bilbraborn is considering a chat with the fireman of the 8F and vice versa, I hope it was polite. Iron ore from High Dyke to Stanton Ironworks methinks. Can you recall matey, I'd just been sitting in one of the caves in the dark near the Ice Stadium trying to load a colour film into my brothers 35mm camera, it proved a disaster, my colour slides of the following Merchant Navy Pacific were destroyed by Kodak, such is life.

fan33-1.jpg

What is the building with the ornate clock tower (?) on the horizon on the righthand side?

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A potted history of the area's arches and buildings including Garner's Hill garden. The narrative helpfully suggests  that the Contemporary visually combines the old and new, which I may be inclined t

Found this lovely painting/print of Weekday Cross:  

There must be a topic covering this subject so if you are an admin, please let me know where it is so that I can use it for any future postings.    Malt Mill Lane.....is that Harry Lime?

The building in the centre right of the photograph (above the bus and below the clock tower) was, I think Widdowson's Machine Tools.

Smiffy

Thanks. What a great photo it is.

September 3rd 1966, it's a bit dark and grainey, probably due to the cheap developing deal my old man got from a mate at work. The camera was a Prinzflex 35 mm from Dixon's ( King St? ). The film was probably Ilford 200 ASA, I would buy it loose from Dixons, they would go in the darkroom and cut a strip off, usually 36 shots, then wind it on one of my spare cassettes, all done for nowt, just the cost of the film which was half that of buying it prepacked.

My brother had a Hanimex 35mm which he tended to keep loaded with Kodak colour slide film, except I bought some that day and made a mess of loading it. I'm sure I took some colour pics of the bus station and the SR Pacific crossing the viaduct that morning, but Kodak cut them off the film.

• Upvote 1

This bit in the 1944 film They Knew Mr Knight always fascinates me as train leaves Victoria Station. Ignore the actors and look out the view from the windows you can see the area of the Broadmarsh , though can't spot any buses .

Castle is recognisable at the top of the view . Just catch the edge of the Widdowsons factory coming into view . Before that theres a quite an ornate Georgian building , whats that ?

• Upvote 1

The building I am thinking about is more like the building down the street with 5 windows and a door . Will try and do a screen grab later but internet connection is so bad at mo .( waiting for BT to dig up road !)

The building I am thinking about is more like the building down the street with 5 windows and a door . Will try and do a screen grab later but internet connection is so bad at mo .( waiting for BT to dig up road !)

Not another one with BT problems, have been trying to upload some pictures but the system won't have it, BT supposed to dig up my footpath and neighbours front garden imminently.

No sign of BT yet, surprise, surprise, meanwhile I've lost my efforts at passing on pics from Photobucket.

Fantastic, but I never thought I'd get so much air time on the internet. Perhaps not my best side on view. I remember that cave and trying to reload film in the dark. Every time I pass that way I think about that day. It's all bricked up now.

Firbeck , I'm ahead of you BT wise......today have a hole dug up on the pavement outside and can see the exposed underground phone wire . Now have no phone connection at all rather than just a noisy one but strangely still have some internet connection .

It's taken 5 visits from various engineers to get to this stage . Most of them seem to turn up and have no idea what the previous engineers before have done.....then when I explain the faults and that its somewhere between the road and our phone point in the inside wall , they all say "Oh no, why me" , go through the motions of testing the line and then disappear !

Could that building be a sunday school/church hall belonging to the main church? The architecture looks very similar.

Returning to the final disappearing viaduct, here's a few photos of it before and after. It was the stretch which went from Weekday Cross, round to High Level Station and Sneinton. It had been an isolated lump in the middle of nowhere for years.

This is it in the background, behind the tram viaduct.

oldnew.jpg

This is how it appeared in 2001, looking towards Sneinton. When the arches were still used by businesses, below the black sloping roof on the right.

viaductold.jpg

Where it was.

viaductgone.jpg

Going.

withjcb.jpg

Where the line crossed Popham Street, in the middle of the old Broad Marsh area, looking towards Canal Street.

pophamcombined.jpg

Same road, looking the other way. Before and after.

pophamupboth.jpg

And finally.

pophamgone.jpg

• Upvote 9

Cliff Ton

Fantastic that you have bothered to make a record of all of this for future generations.

Thanks !

Smiffy

But ...just think of the destruction wrought by the railways when they arrived...St Anns Well and Sneinton Hermitage rock dwellings were destroyed by the ever encroaching Victorian railway builders.I wonder how many other Mediaeval sites were destroyed forever.Victorian planners were out of the same mould as the 1960s destroyers a century later.

• Upvote 1

Crazy what we long for from the past,......in 100 yrs folk will long for the eye-sores being erected today,dont you reckon?

Cliff, only photos of boring bits of an old railway viaduct, but absolutely wonderful! If it weren't for the likes of Douglas Whitworth, Geoffrey Oldfield and now You, we would have lost all record of these "boring bits" for ever, and would be so much poorer without them. I wish that I had had the foresight and means of photographing "boring" bits of Nottingham years ago but most of us perhaps took it all for granted, I mean, it was always going to be there wasn't it?

• Upvote 2
  • 2 months later...

Thanks Gibbo. Yes, I think it must be Colwick Woods, although I'm a bit puzzled by the open high ground to the left and in front of it. That should be Bakersfield which is built on.