Weekday Cross viaducts demolished

My Dad originally came from Sneinton TBI and he always spoke of the " Mounts ". Could this be the area. Anyone put some light on it?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A potted history of the area's arches and buildings including Garner's Hill garden. The narrative helpfully suggests  that the Contemporary visually combines the old and new, which I may be inclined t

Found this lovely painting/print of Weekday Cross:  

There must be a topic covering this subject so if you are an admin, please let me know where it is so that I can use it for any future postings.    Malt Mill Lane.....is that Harry Lime?

• 1 month later...

Greetings Trevor. The dust on demo day jammed the camera shutter! Took scores of pics, the website is nottinghamoffcentrereview -- one word, Google usually finds it. Go to Pie Powder - then Still at work in Foundry Lane - then down to - Somethings changed in Foundry Lane.

I resisted joining Nottstalgia for months, fell for it in the end, sound like nice people, a few anoraks though. Bless them.

I watched all day as the Cornish building came down, I reckon someone took a picture over my shoulder,

Might've been me.

Here's a couple of additional photos I took on the day I did the others (# 41) but I hadn't posted these before; although they're not the sharpest I've ever taken.

cornish1.jpg

cornish2.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like I've got the middle bits behind 'Boots Print'

1931bus014_zpsgyj4vk9z.jpg

PS The Mounts were at the top of Rossington Rd., maybe what was left after quarrying for brick making?

• Upvote 3

Ssshhh. I was on the roof of Boots Print, Station St. Practica 35mm, not v. good, turned towards the 'castle' and the shutter stuck commercial D & P.

Boots shut down shortly after & when Capitol One took over the arches soon came down for extra car parking!

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

There must be a topic covering this subject so if you are an admin, please let me know where it is so that I can use it for any future postings. 

Malt Mill Lane.....is that Harry Lime?

33812604842_8a2a53ee99_b.jpg

I've moved the post into this thread. This photo shows the road under the bridge in #66.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

An interesting video with a great selection of old photos - although obviously biased towards the glorification of the Contemporary as a building and an organisation.

Personally, I’ve always thought it’s a hideously ugly place, unsympathetic to the surrounding area. One of the worst sore thumbs ever to stand out anywhere. I struggle to see any link between it and the older Lace Market buildings; the lace pattern on the outside seems like a pathetic attempt to make a silk purse out of the ear of a very ugly sow.

But I’ll watch it again because of the old photos.

• Like 1

A few years ago I was with some oversea friends and drove through the lace market area to show them some of the lovely buildings. When we went past the Contemporary Art building they asked what they were building there. It had been completed several years by then. A disgraceful eyesore in a beautiful historic area.

I have to admit it's a bit Tom Sharpe, what were the council thinking when they approved it?

Like a lot of contemporary stuff people are so afraid of being called Philistines because they 'don't get it' they will go along with almost anything. That includes 120 building bricks lying on the floor - well worth £120,000 of anybody's money. A steel cube with holes in it, a dirty old bed and a carbuncle of a market square.