Enjoying owt on the box lately ?

On the old system there were 11 locks with a fall of 115 feet. There are still locks at the top before you can get on to the wheel.

The Anderton boat lift is well worth a look too. Originally using hydraulic pressure from the river and the canal, then changed to electric motors, pulleys and counterweights and now running on hydraulic oil filled rams lifts boats 50 feet between the River Weaver and the Trent and Mersey canal.

Sorry can't help myself just love clever engineering from any era.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can’t do the mountain of holiday ironing without watching the telly so this afternoon I am watching, quite by chance, ‘Collectaholics’  BBC2.  I think Gem would enjoy the programme as it has feature

I think it was me who did the snatching Lizzie. The poor lad didn't stand a chance. We had a great two and half years courting, made some fab memories. When I think back to our teens, it makes me smil

The producers of 'The Saint'  wanted a British car for Roger Moore portraying Simon Templer & approached Jaguar to supply a vehicle. The producers explained that the show would be weekly & exp

It certainly was Ray,went passed there the other week,all derelict,such a shame, I did hear that the amount of power needed to raise/lower the wheel is about the same as it takes to boil a kettle,when I took these pictures (boxing day 2013) the place was very busy,I also had a walk to the top of the canal and along there for about a mile,lovely walk,the horse head sculptures in the picture are minitures of the Kelpies that are along side another part of the canal.I have some pics of those if anyone interested,the heads along the canal are about 100 feet high,very impressive

Rog

Well, I suppose I have to do my bit to help curb all the obesity. One big problem; now that everything is down sized, where a mars or pkt of crisps was enough to satisfy, I honestly think it tempts people to have two instead of one. :(

I've watched a bit more telly than normal over Christmas, and the last few weeks of cold, damp and miserable weather. 

I've not enjoyed a great amount, except travel, nature, and wildlife programmes. I  normally like the ones that Gordon Buchanan does, as he invariably gives a different insight into things, and you can tell that he really loves his job, and adores wildlife. 

However, just how many more times do we need to see terrified deer being chased by wolves, until the weakest just gives up, and we get a full shot of its glazed eyes and the look of abject terror on its face as its hind quarters are being torn to shreds. 

I'm intelligent enough to know what happens, I just can't see the point of it being constantly shown. 

The other week, the normally likeable Kate Humble was almost ecstatic and delirious as a pack of wolves circled a lone deer, and devoured it whilst it was still alive. 

Also, there's been an absolute deluge of cookery programmes on too. Other than The Hairy Bikers, I can't stand most of them.

The other night, two over educated twits were discussing which wine to have with certain meals. Now other than knowing that it's normally white at lunchtime, and especially with fish or chicken, and that its red at night and mainly with red meat, I'm not particularly bothered. However, these two oiks were bleating on about a cheeky little Chablis, a comical Chardonnay and an amusing Merlot. For goodness sake you pair of tw4ts !  It's only wine. Get a life for heavens sake. It's just not funny.  Needless to say I gave it the button.

• Upvote 3

#1077 Cheers Carni I would have never have watched anything with the title 'Great canal journeys' watched the last one when they caught the steam train, very good enjoyed it, I did have the hots for Prunella Scales when I was a youth, she may have been my older guilty pleasure? I now have the show on series link along with Coach Trip on E4 

• Upvote 1

Glad you enjoyed it RR. A very endearing couple, they make the programme for me. Tim or Prunella were never on my favourite list, but seeing them on the canals has made me see them differently. When you see pictures of Prunella when she was younger, it is understandable that you  took a shine to her, she was quite a looker.  I hope they can carry on making more canal journeys for a while. I do enjoy it.

Must go now Michael Portilla is just starting his train journey. Minneapolis to St Paul today. Great.

I regularly see, not watch Emmerdale, and that's under duress, and it never ceases to amaze me how theft, fraud, blackmail, dishonesty, casual sexual activity, sexual deviancy, violence, mental cruelty, idleness, stupidity, incompetence and general bad behaviour can regularly be shown as normal living. The whole programme is disgusting and disgraceful in the extreme. 

• Upvote 1

I expect Eastenders is much along the same lines. I only ever see that when the feral outlaws are visiting.

My ex was hooked on Eastenders and Brookside, and the Aussie crap. This one idolises Emmerdale and Corrie. 

Bleddy hell, can't I pick em ? 

We are in the throws of San Remo fever. Started on Tuesday and we have to put up with it until Saturday. Don't say change channel as the fever affects other channels. 

Its only a song contest but the workup to it is unbelievable. They talk about what so and so is going to wear and what they are going to do. Who is going and how far theyve travelled to get there. They have film star guests and have the presenters of other programmes drooling over the male and female guests. Its really pathetic.

one of the guests last night was Robbie Williams. Ear phones in and conversation was translated to him. Then the male presenter said he'd heard that it was his custom to kiss at least one of his fans onstage. He twisted round and kissed the female presenter full on the lips. She was shocked while everyone else laughed. I havent seen or heard anything today about it but you can be certain that it made headlines.

I find the whole show awkward as the repartee between the presenters is as though they are reading from a scipt and you know what the next line is going to be. To me it doesnt flow like the variety shows in UK. Everywhere you go its....did you see San Remo?  Sorry I didnt .( see it all ) 

I was too tired to wait to see Keanu Reeves.

In answer to the topic question. Well no I'm not ! 

I'm normally an avid news viewer, a current affairs type programmes, but today, I succumbed to the off button.

Victoria Derbyshire..... An absolute traitor with her blinkered leftist views. She'll keep turning in a tighter and tighter left circle, that hopefully, she'll disappear up her own backside. Then the news. Lies, depravity, dishonesty, backstabbing, berating the wonderful NHS, traitorous actions, demonstrations by the great unwashed, the unemployable and the numerous professional agitators and placard wavers. Oh, and the weathers turning colder. I must get more chocolate biscuits in !

Should have gone to the bank in Arnold this afternoon, but it was far too cold, and snowing slightly,  and I couldn't get motivated after loads of biscuits.

So, I watched Prog Rock at the BBC. The bands featured were Yes, ELP, King Crimson, Family, Atomic Rooster, The Nice, Moody Blues, Jethro Tull, Wishbone Ash, Soft Machine and Caravan. Not all to my taste, but some great stuff all the same. Great music by great musicians, some odd fashion, and most enjoyable as madam was out, so no interruptions !

Not a lot on the box to interest me lately.But I have watched a DVD ( got it from eBay) called The Shout.

Alan Bates,John Hurt, Susannah York.

Its about a man who claims he has learned aborigine magic,it gets you thinking

Can he really do these things,or is he insane.

My only real 'must see' progs are the likes of Mastermind and University Challenge, with the slightly less appealing 'Only Connect' on my usual list too.

Can't stand soaps or the sort of quiz progs where they spend more time endlessly repeating/explaining the rules and chatting inane drivel than actually doing the quiz.

Like some of the dramas.  Can never quite decide whether to label something such as  the recent 'Appletree Yard' as 'gripping', 'absorbing' or just 'entertaining'.  Certainly different, though some of the acting and the plotting towards the end weren't exactly top notch.

'Taboo'.  Also interesting and gives a very much more 'human' slant on the basic historical inhumanity of the nefarious activities of the ludicrously powerful East India Company, whilst their opposition hardly come out smelling of roses either.  Also very entertaining, but it suffers a bit from the mumbled dialogue and over dense plotting which seems almost normal now.

I like gentle comedies such as 'Open All Hours' and 'Still Open All Hours' seems to me to be a rare example of a sequel which is the equal of its predecessor.

Col

I watched the first two episodes of 'SAS. Rogue Heroes'. Absolutely fantastic, informative, mesmerising, breathtaking, horrific, funny, sad, shocking, in fact, almost unbelievable. 

This is a series of programmes describing information released from the secret archives of the SAS, and described in the book 'SAS Rogue Heroes' that I read last year. 

It makes the Dirty Dozen look like a choirboys outing. Undisciplined, insubordinate, highly intelligent, psychotic, and downright ruthless....... But at the end of the day, they brought a quicker end to WW2 than would have been possible without them. 

Without a doubt, the bravest of the brave. 

A while ago my daughter bought me the DVD titled The Theory of Everything.The extraordinary story of Jane and Stephen Hawkins. Stephen played by Eddie Redmayne and Jane played by Felicity Jones. Tonight I finally managed to watch it. If you haven't already watched the film, I would give it a go. Eddie won so many awards and so well deserved. I only cried twice. Eddies portrayal of Stephen is spot on, so convincing. I am impressed. 

Agreed Carni, it's a very sensitive portrayal of a difficult subject. I too was given the DVD a while ago.

It's worth also doing a 'Google' of Stephen Hawking's life, especially the section on 'personal life'.

An extraordinary character.

Col