Enjoying owt on the box lately ?

Watching now ITV  'Tina and Bobby' with great sadness..........Bobby was great and died so young.....also interesting comparing football then and now.............all British players and Managers.........bumpy pitches,rough tackles,players on normal wages,with pride in their hearts for club and country...............yes football was better back then.....

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can’t do the mountain of holiday ironing without watching the telly so this afternoon I am watching, quite by chance, ‘Collectaholics’  BBC2.  I think Gem would enjoy the programme as it has feature

I think it was me who did the snatching Lizzie. The poor lad didn't stand a chance. We had a great two and half years courting, made some fab memories. When I think back to our teens, it makes me smil

The producers of 'The Saint'  wanted a British car for Roger Moore portraying Simon Templer & approached Jaguar to supply a vehicle. The producers explained that the show would be weekly & exp

Only thing ive seen on Telly this last week that was half interesting was 'Tina and Bobby'.................and if i see that twit Len Goodmans face............with that false grin  giving it a 'ten from Len' once more,i'll even stop shopping at Farmfoods..........

• Upvote 4

I've been watching 'Tina and Bobby' as well benj  and really enjoy it. I agree with you about Len Goodman, he comes over so smarmy. Mind you I don't suppose he cares much if he is raking the money in.

Thoroughly enjoy the 'Great Canal journeys' with Timothy West and Prunella Scales and also 'Great British Railway Journeys' with Michael Portillo. Antique Roadshow etc. 

We watched a programme today on channel Yesterday, called 'Secrets of the Bible' the story today was 'Sodom and Gomorrah', very interesting theory on what possible happened. You don't have to be religious to watch it. I will definitely watch that programme again.

• Upvote 2

Further Back In Time for Dinner. Last night it was about 1910 to 1919. Very interesting and useful social history about the food and fuel shortages during WW1 and how they got worse in 1917. My grandmother died of TB that year. It must have been terrible having the shortages in addition to the serious illness. My dad was very young then and the family lived in Sneinton. This really made me think.

The programme did have its amusing side, particularly when there was a second struggle with a can opener!

1078.  NBL.  I watched the first episode of the canal journey's on YT last night.  I found it very relaxing and enjoyable.  Some of those bends and narrow bits look tricky.  I reckon I might bounce off a wall or two if I tried that.  Lol.

^^^^^^^^^ I along with the wife and friends used to take a 70ft narrow boat out very year and once you get used to it, it is quite easy but you have to concentrate. What bugs me is when he bumps someone else boat and gives his silly smirk, most people I know would have put him in the cut.............

We have cycled around the W-ton canal towpaths since 1980s and we have probably only seen a couple of collisions. Thankfully no fisty cuffs involved. Most people seem to have a problem changing canals; usually through and under a narrow bridge, with the change of direction to master.

We quite often rest on the top of the bridge at the junction of the Shropshire Union and Staffs and Worc and watch the action. Not too many problems out of season but come holiday times, with the junction and the queues of boats waiting to take the turn, it can be quite a tense time for the  new comers to narrow boats.

Great fun on the Birmingham Main Line. I can't imagine Timothy West would make the 21 locks without a few bumps. Poor Prunella, I can just hear her saying 'Oh Tim; do be careful, wont you'. So polite!

• Upvote 1

I know what you mean carni, the best one I heard was, oh darling I'm sorry I forgot to cast of.

Timothy just gave her a little smile, love them both. My late husband and I were

keen boaters for 30+ years and I think his response would have been a bit more

verbal.:glare:

• Upvote 1

We enjoy watching Canal Journeys too. I think he's very forgiving for her occasional lapses, she seems to do surprisingly well considering her dementia is apparently now quite advanced.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure how old they were when these videos were made, but they are obviously not spring chickens.  Her ability to push those lock gates and clamber around them is amazing.  I watched the trip through that three mile Standage tunnel last night.  I'm not sure I could handle that claustrophobia too well.  God bless 'em!

Loppy I don't think you've been on a canal, if your not in a rush and wait until the lock is fully full or empty you just lean on the gates and they move, now opening some of the paddles that's a different matter some are bloody horrendous and take some shifting.

Carni#1082 Know that junction very well and you are dead right it's a bogger at the best of times, cost me a meal for six first time I tried it, went at it to fast and both the ladies ended up with their coffee in their laps, never heard the last of that one.

• Upvote 2

I also like the series of programmes featuring John Sergeant, the ex political reporter, who has travelled extensively over various canals, and is very lighthearted and entertaining. 

Currently, I record the Father Brown series, and watch later at  night when the usual deluge of mindless drivel is on. Mark Williams is a versatile and very talented actor. 

Other stuff I regularly record is Last of the Summer Wine, and Frasier. It's comforting to watch people who are more bonkers than I am !

• Upvote 1

You're right NBL.  I don't know anything much about canal travel.  I've learnt a bit from this series already.  Only locks I've seen were the big locks on the Trent at Stoke Bardolph and Gunthorpe.  We did go with friends out to Foxton locks when we were over one time.  Looked like a lot of hard work.  Funny how you never visit these places when you live there.  

You are going to have to a rent a bloody great big canal boat and have a chef, cleaner, bar man and entertainment manager on board with your missus, LOL. Oh, and a washer-upper. 

• Upvote 1

Loppy #1088, Foxton flight now seems to have volunteers to help most days and all the locks on the Trent are electrically operated again by volunteers, a mate of mine does one day a week on the Trent.

Myself I much prefer the Falkirk Wheel the idle mans way of going uphill or downhill in a boat and the Anderton Lift is back in operation I believe.

• Upvote 1

My friend in England just told me they watched Great American Railroad Journeys with Michael Portillo (?) And it had WillIiams to the Grand Canyon train ride. That's where we live in the summer.

We watched that programme Katyjay. Michael Portillo takes us all over the world on his train journeys. The Grand Canyon is spectacular, the views are amazing what a wonderful place for you to live in the summer. 

• Upvote 1

The Falkirk Wheel, impressive piece of kit, I seem to remember that he of the coloured outfits Michael Portillo said that the system is so balanced that it takes very little power to run it. The late great Fred Dibnah also did a bit on it in one of his shows - heaps on YouTube.

Just logged back in to say, don't feel the need to do a long post describing how it works PF.  As they say a picture is worth a thousand words and I just watched a video on YT showing the machine in action.  I credible piece of engineering and thought.  Probably replaces a lot of locks necessary to raise or lower such a distance.