Enjoying owt on the box lately ?

Indeed Kev.  I've still got 'What a Crazy World' which presumably is the one with Joe Brown in it.  I think I have seen that one but many years ago.  One I'm looking out for it 'It's Trad Dad! , which was one of those 'Old people trying to ban pop music' films.  Hilarious..

The Sci Fi stuff can be pretty cool too.  Last week I skipped through 'Earth Versus the Flying Saucers' and 'The Strange World of Planet X'.  I've got 'Forbidden Planet' in my stash but seen that loads of times and it's a division or two up from the B movie stuff.  Another classic I'm looking for is 'This Island Earth'... It's a long time since I saw an 'Interocetor'...  :)

I'm also looking for a few of those old Japanese made Earth v Godzilla/The Space Aliens type films that always featured close up shots of the insides of Transistor Radios, doubling up as 'futuristic' Space Ports etc. The overdubbing into American English was pretty special too..  For the sake of a Nottingham connection .. I used to see lots of those films at the Mechanics Cinema which as I recall was somewhere opposite the old Vic station. Can't properly recall now, though I do recall an adjacent Mechanics building which was exported to the US and rebuilt as a Hunting Lodge.

Col

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can’t do the mountain of holiday ironing without watching the telly so this afternoon I am watching, quite by chance, ‘Collectaholics’  BBC2.  I think Gem would enjoy the programme as it has feature

I think it was me who did the snatching Lizzie. The poor lad didn't stand a chance. We had a great two and half years courting, made some fab memories. When I think back to our teens, it makes me smil

The producers of 'The Saint'  wanted a British car for Roger Moore portraying Simon Templer & approached Jaguar to supply a vehicle. The producers explained that the show would be weekly & exp

My dad used to take me to see some of those old sci-fi. Films at the Regal in Carlton during the fifties.  Some of 'em scared me. I was only a pup.  Mind you, the projector broke down quite a bit, much to the jeers and groans of the audience, along with shouts of purrapenny in.  I seem to remember 'Devil Girl from Mars.'  Now if all Martians looked like her it wouldn't have been so bad.  :rolleyes:

I couldn't sleep a couple of nights ago so got up and watched a film I'd recorded about aliens and cowboys.  It was very strange but I watched it to the end because I wanted to see what happened!

We are also watching the series 'Hard Sun' which is scary because if the 'powers that be' knew for certain that there was going to be a whole world catastrophe in a few years time (a huge meteorite ?)  this is probably what would happen.....  The masses wouldn't be told because it would lead to total anarchy and then, when the story was inevitably leaked, it would be just seen as one of the many conspiracy theories doing the rounds.  

• Like 1

Bit close to reality by the sounds of it, Margie.  I don't mean the meteorite per se. Rather, I mean a complete lack of transparency.  I reached a point a while ago where I have given up on truth from the powers that be.   Example: we are regaled every night with news about the  terrifying spread of the flu across America.  Emergency rooms overrun.  Folks dying.  etc etc. ad nauseum.   A natural health website that I read said that where sample from 'flu victim are tested only 15% show positive for 'flu.  That leads to at least two questions.

1.    is this true or not?

2.    If it is not the 'flu, what is it and where did it come from?

I guess I'll just go and hide under the bed with the dust bunnies.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MargieH said:

I couldn't sleep a couple of nights ago so got up and watched a film I'd recorded about aliens and cowboys.  It was very strange but I watched it to the end because I wanted to see what happened

I also watched 'Cowboys and Aliens' Margie,..........enjoyed it love Westerns....especially when an Englishman plays them,.....also enjoyed 'The sons of Katie Elder' with John Wayne and Dean Martin''   both on film 4,

• Like 3

Great stuff. Just been thinking.. It could be funny to see some of those old Steve Reeves films too.  'Hercules Unchained' is the one which sticks in my mind, but there were others.  I recall seeing some hogwash about Atlantis, where thy were making sort of solar powered death rays a couple of thousand years ago...  They could be a handy source of clean energy nowadays... :)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

The Dirty Dozen this afternoon.... Still brilliant !

Top gear is a shadow of it's former self. Towards the end of the Clarkson era it had run out of ideas and was becoming increasingly silly. In todays version the presenters don't seem to 'gell' despite the heavily scripted interchange or possibly because of it? I'd like to see Sabine Scmitt have a bigger part at least she shows some enthusiasm.

1 hour ago, Brew said:

I'd like to see Sabine Scmitt have a bigger part at least she shows some enthusiasm.

If ever your in Germany, go to the nurburgring,and have a lap in the Ring taxi with Sabine. That women will frighten the life out of any man with her " enthusiasm " 

Other than a couple of soaps which madam watches, and a few documentaries and quizzes, most of stuff I watch is from Freeview channels. Frasier, Last of the Summer Wine, Waking the Dead, Ice Road Truckers, Fearless, The Loch, Safe House, and music programmes such as Guitar Hero's at the BBC, Old Grey Whistle Test, and Sounds of the 60's , 70's etc.

Current affairs programmes, rarely as its so biased towards the left !

• Like 1

Currently, every news programme is about the Oscars. The biggest gathering of the illiterate, pushy, ostentatious, arrogant, bragging, dull, egotistical, flimsy, ignorant, know all, and downright plain looking clones. 

I've mentioned before on another topic, where's the talented stars ? Where's the James Stewart's, The Burt Lancasters, The Lee Marvins, Gary Coopers, Gregory Pecks etc. Also, the REALLY good looking actresses, Jodie Foster, Fay Dunaway, Bo Derek, Gina Lollobrigida, Candice Bergen, Capuchine, Jeanne Moreau, etc. Other than Charlize Theron, the rest all look the same . Gormless !

• Like 1

Of course NBL. .... Audrey Hepburn....... There, done it !

2 hours ago, FLY2 said:

where's the talented stars ?

Fly,It's not about talent these days,it's all about racial and gender awareness like everything else in this confused world,left wing tree hugging do-gooders (there I said it)

Rog

• Like 2

Exactly Rog...... We're doomed to suffer a life of mediocrity.

• Like 1

Just remembered another beauty.... Catherine Deneauve

I'm afraid that I never forgave Sylvia Sims for letting that ambulance roll all the way down the sand dune after John Mills, Harry Andrews and Anthony Quayle had wound it all the way to the top on the starting handle so had to do it all again!

• Like 3

Benidorm ,crap story lines, bad dialogue, poor acting, full of people you don't want to meet on Holiday,

I'M HOOKED LOVE IT.............:biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Oh Ben, you've let me down. I gave the new series five minutes of my valuable time last week, then gave it the button.

It is quite amusing, but the characters are so obnoxious, and as you say. Thank the Lord you don't come into contact with the like.

• Like 1

I used to hate it, then someone bought me a box set 4 or 5 years ago, and i got into it, some good character actors have lifted it a bit from time to time, ive never been to Benidorm but must say i'm tempted to give it a try, i think the writer Derren somebody writes it with tongue in cheek........i'd love a job at the 'Salano' reckon i could put some funny stories on here ,.......Meet/Greet during the day then Doorman at night in one of the 'Gay Bars'  ,when i'm next in Spain might nip over and see whats available ;)

edit   Bulwell in the Sun,   lol

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1