Enjoying owt on the box lately ?

I absolutely detest seeing FCUK, and other ludicrous logos on clothing. Likewise years ago when United Colours of Benetton was all the rage. Farcical. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can’t do the mountain of holiday ironing without watching the telly so this afternoon I am watching, quite by chance, ‘Collectaholics’  BBC2.  I think Gem would enjoy the programme as it has feature

I think it was me who did the snatching Lizzie. The poor lad didn't stand a chance. We had a great two and half years courting, made some fab memories. When I think back to our teens, it makes me smil

The producers of 'The Saint'  wanted a British car for Roger Moore portraying Simon Templer & approached Jaguar to supply a vehicle. The producers explained that the show would be weekly & exp

2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Lots of reporters on the news wear clothing with makers’ labels - North Face and such so there is some inconsistency here. I avoid, wherever possible, buying clothing with a label on the outside. I think it’s pure snob value to advertise the fact that you’re wearing Barbour or similar.

Our art teacher at The Manning was implacably opposed to carrying her shopping in any bag which bore the name of the shop where she purchased it.  She regarded this as using the customer to obtain free advertising and always took either a plain cardboard box or shopping bags into which she placed her shopping. This was in the 1960s. Quite how she would have reacted to the practice of wearing items of clothing which display the maker's name doesn't bear thinking about. Apoplectic fit at the very least, I'd imagine.

We groaned during her lectures on these subjects at the time but I, for one, would not be seen dead wearing clothing with the maker's label or name on the outside. It's just...common!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Love it Jill. Spot on ! I detest seeing those hessian bags with a big red heart on it, and 'I love Bulwell, Long Eaton' or suchlike emblazoned across it.

• Like 1

We've got an umbrella with cats on it. We got it from The Cat Shop in Canterbury, which surprisingly enough only sells cat related objects !

• Like 1

Enjoyed Lucy Worsley's series on American history's biggest fibs. Well presented and amusing in places but with some real eye-openers. I had not realised that Martin Luther King did not include women activists as speakers in his rallies or meetings. He had a big enough task fighting for race equality I guess. 

Double standards and hypocrisy as with all these revolutionaries Shirley. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, FLY2 said:

We've got an umbrella with cats on it. We got it from The Cat Shop in Canterbury, which surprisingly enough only sells cat related objects !

I visited The Cat Shop on my last visit to York also bought an umbrella, as they say great minds in our case expecting rain. Also purchased a scarf/2 mugs/hat and gloves my daughter in law loves her cats.

• Upvote 1

Back on topic.... Did anyone see the masterpiece of film editing that was "They shall not grow old" last night on bbc2?  WWI footage remastered and colourised together with around two hundred ex WWI sildiers'  commentary. For me it was the defining film of the great war. Available on iPlayer should you wish to see it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You just beat me to it Compo...............brilliant piece and really Heart-rending.............i was looking for either of my Grandads,,the re-touched film was so clear,,..........another thing i found so 'touching' was the way our soldiers treated the German prisoners,,even laughing together.........just proves the 'stupidity' of War...............

• Like 4

The film looked at aspects of the war hitherto largely ignored. I have seen and read much about the conflict but this sums it up better than anything else I have seen, Ben.

• Like 1

Really got to me Compo.........could see people ive known in all their faces......poor buggers......yes they did it for 'King and Country'.....but also to be with their mates and 10 bob a week..........after the War there wasn't much to come home to either.....don't mind admitting  a 'tear' came to my eyes for em...

Edit...........wish i'd have asked my Grandads much more than i did..................

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It was the final episode of Les Miserables last night and, although the content was a bit different from the Les Mis musical, it was really tense and sometimes difficult to watch.   It's a film that will live with me for a long time...

• Like 2

I always wanted to watch Les Miserables, but didn't know what to expect,so when they started showing it on TV,  I got my chance. My Goodness, at times I felt so full of despair for those people, I didn't feel as though I was watching a drama, it felt like the real thing. It upset me quite alot to see such hopelessness for so many of the people in those times but I couldn't stop watching.  Like you Margie, I'm so glad I watched it, and wont ever forget it.

• Like 1

Carni, have you watched the Les Mis musical - it was on TV last year.  I love the songs.  I went to watch it in London we'll over a decade ago - it was a school trip when I worked in a secondary school - but I didn't know the story then, so found it a bit difficult to follow.

"Only The Crumbliest Flakiest Chocolate. Tastes like chocolate never tasted before". 

(Cadbury's flake) Music by Manfred Mann. Nora Ann the model.

Just watching ''Inside Europe'' BBC2,,,regarding refugees,, its so complex a subject,,with terrorism etc,, but also heart-rending,,seeing poor little kids having to traipse across Europe looking to escape the horrors of Libya and Syria plus other war torn places.

Until i finished work in August my job entailed mixing with these people,,and being interested in such things found myself very moved by their plights.  The first day i saw Libyans and Syrians entering my place of work,,i thought ''blimey'' these blokes look dangerous,, then i got communicating with em,,and soon realised they were no different to us.........and their Kids just pulled my heart strings.

Over a period of about 4 years i saw the kids grow into happy teenagers who shared my sense of humour about many things,,the Adults also i got to know quite well,,made me realise even more than i did already ,that people the world over are the same,,,we just need to take the time to talk to other nationalities,,with love and understanding............

• Like 2

But why must they come HERE  ?

Compared with a wild wet weekend in Wales, yes Ben ! englandflag

• Like 1

Fly has good point though, why trek thousands of miles to reach the UK when there is safe refuge only a short distance from their borders

• Upvote 1