Enjoying owt on the box lately ?

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can’t do the mountain of holiday ironing without watching the telly so this afternoon I am watching, quite by chance, ‘Collectaholics’  BBC2.  I think Gem would enjoy the programme as it has feature

I think it was me who did the snatching Lizzie. The poor lad didn't stand a chance. We had a great two and half years courting, made some fab memories. When I think back to our teens, it makes me smil

The producers of 'The Saint'  wanted a British car for Roger Moore portraying Simon Templer & approached Jaguar to supply a vehicle. The producers explained that the show would be weekly & exp

On 1 May 2018 at 8:31 PM, benjamin1945 said:

never been to Benidorm but the series as made me want to

Give it spin youth, I'm bang central, it's bonkers, it's been busy all week, but from about 12 noon today there's  been a continuous raw like a football crowd & getting louder by the hour, sure someone's banging a drum?  ..... The weekend stag & hen & Birthdays have turned up! 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Really enjoyed ‘Who Do You Think You Are’ this evening with Jack Whitehall and his lovely Dad Michael, and what a snappy dresser Michael is too. (Ben you would have appreciated his clobber)  The programme had a lot of humour which made for a change. Certainly more watchable than last week’s episode about Daniel Ratcliffe’s ancestors, with Daniel coming across as a total bore with really very little interest in what he was learning about his family.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Unfortunately, iv'e been familiar with this talentless, most annoying pair for sometime...

Other than the equally enjoying Sugar Sidekick, Nick Hewar (I used to like watching Countdown)

It has to be, the most irritating episode ever. 

197,000 ? Well I don't know where that went says Michael.....

Not really watching it ,,but just noticed Johnny Depp in ''Pirates of the Caribbean'  bump into Judi Dench,,,,he's only copying me,,,i bumped into her on Maid Marian way about 1966..........he did it in a Stagecoach 2011,,,,another difference was he gave her a kiss and got a smile.......all i got was a load of verbals.............lol

• Upvote 1

When a woman is over 80, any kiss from a younger bloke will be followed by a smile. Don't worry Ben, you've probably since made up for the disappointment.

• Like 1

Secrets of the National Trust presented by Alan Titchmarsh is usually quite good. Episode 3 featured Plas Newydd and he spent ages talking about the mural that Whistler painted and all the places included. Alan Titchmarsh missed out one very special feature of the mural: the fact that when you walk past it the boat in the centre turns and footsteps change direction. This could have been illustrated using camera movement. When we visited I spent a while enjoying that feature. There is a similar effect on a painting at Packwood House in 
Warwickshire. I asked a friend who is an artist how the effect is produced on a painting. She said that it is to do with the layering and application of the paint.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I saw that programme a few weeks ago...and I wasn't aware of the effect until you've just mentioned it.  Unfortunately it doesn't work on a computer screen either !

https://www.google.com/search?q=whistler+plas+newydd&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiFv5vj-4TkAhWnQUEAHRwqCwgQ_AUIEigC&biw=1674&bih=861#imgrc=_

I like the Scandinavian detective stories on BBC4. Below the Surface series 2 is on now and it is good. A couple of things in the story line surprise me. When the hostage situation starts the story line says there is no passenger list and it also shows people in the car deck. One crew member asks them to leave. On ferries to Shetland, Orkney and the Isle of Man I am sure they lock the doors to the car decks. The ferry in the story line is going from Denmark to Sweden. These bits of detail are not spoiling my enjoyment. A good dark tale with plenty of cliff hangers!

• 1 month later...

Just watched some boxing a good fight on 5 spike,,english title eliminator from Bolton, super middleweight, between two Lancashire lads,,Ellison and Schofield,, Ellison won on points,,

Before that there was a womans fight,,to be honest to me boxing and women dont seem right,,but must admit,,like the women football and cricketers they showed great skills,,

• Upvote 1

Yeah I agree Ben but how do you feel about the female commentators?   I really don’t like them, they may be ex-international cricketers and footballers but to me it doesn’t seem right, I can’t listen to them. 

Same on Final Score on Saturday afternoons. They're very knowledgable, but it just seems strange.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently watched the Joanna Lumley series on Japan. As usual, she came across extremely well in her own amicable way.

What a strange race they are though in their lifestyle, but not a sign of litter, vandalism or graffiti.

She finished off on the island of Okinawa, and how they've adapted post WW2. Jesus Christ, what a bloodbath. Nearly a quarter of a million casualties on all sides, and virtually all the local population used as human shields or forced into the army. Unbelievable !

I also watched Love your garden, with the obsequious short arsed but much appreciated Alan Titchmarsh the other night.

His gang did a tremendous job on renovating the large garden of a poor chap who contracted meningitis and sepsis in his mid 40's. He's had to have amputation treatment on all four limbs. I know that a lot of these heart wrenching stories are virtually unwatchable, but this one really hit home for some reason. 

Maybe it's because I love gardening so much, that I'd be devastated if for any reason I was prevented in doing so.

Anyway, well done to Alan and his gang. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure which channel I got it from.. but last night I watched a recording of the 1944 classic 'Laura'.

I only recall seeing it once before, and I'd completely mis-remembered the plot and the denouement.

In the end.. a very satisfying old time combination of thriller.. detective story and romance.

And this.. , based on the original film's instrumental score..has always been one of my favourite songs.. I do believe I have a 78 of it somewhere in the loft...  :)

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting watch..

Episode 5 of 'Murder, Mystery & my family' on the BBC, broadcast last Friday', covers a case in Nottingham in the 1930"s. 

The barge episode 

no 2?

Also has a Nott's connection..

One program that has me in stitches, is 'Not going out ' with Lee Mack. All the series have me in stitches, no matter how many times I watch them.

I have been watching Not Going Out on Dave. Caught it by chance when I was channel flicking, like Lee Mack on Would I Lie To You so decided to give it a go. I find it very funny and always watch it when it is on now.

Used to watch " not going out", but not watched it since I  saw Lee Mack on a live in concert and every other word was swearing. I'm  not a prude but it were totally unnecessary,  having to resort to swearing to get a laugh.

Not watched him since. 'Would I lie to you' would be a great show but for that camera hogger, Rob Brydon.

• Like 1

Watched the 'War of the Worlds' drama series over the past few weeks. I was looking forard to the climax but it never happened; most surreal, it was.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, HSR said:

Episode 5 of 'Murder, Mystery & my family'

Turned out to be an Ilkeston based case, if I recall correctly.