Enjoying owt on the box lately ?

13 minutes ago, Compo said:

Watched the 'War of the Worlds' drama series over the past few weeks. I was looking forard to the climax but it never happened; most surreal, it was.

Take it you weren't  too enamored  then Compo. Got the original and Tom cruise version.

I were a bit disappointed  with the end, however, it were well made.

• Like 1
  • Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can’t do the mountain of holiday ironing without watching the telly so this afternoon I am watching, quite by chance, ‘Collectaholics’  BBC2.  I think Gem would enjoy the programme as it has feature

I think it was me who did the snatching Lizzie. The poor lad didn't stand a chance. We had a great two and half years courting, made some fab memories. When I think back to our teens, it makes me smil

The producers of 'The Saint'  wanted a British car for Roger Moore portraying Simon Templer & approached Jaguar to supply a vehicle. The producers explained that the show would be weekly & exp

5 minutes ago, Compo said:

Watched the 'War of the Worlds' drama series over the past few weeks. I was looking forard to the climax but it never happened; most surreal, it was.

We watched it too and found it very slow moving, but perhaps that  was a deliberate ploy to emphasise the hopelessness of the situation?   Because the story was set in the late 1890s I think it was trying to mimic old films in lots of ways.   I thought it was interesting but I. wouldn't bother watching it again.... began to feel a bit sorry for the martians towards the end!

• Like 2

Took me a while to realise that they started jumping forward and back in time. At first I  wondered who the 10 year old boy was, til it dawned on me what were happening. Marvellous what they can do with CG nowadays.

10 hours ago, Compo said:

Turned out to be an Ilkeston based case, if I recall correctly.

OK..??

Not going out...liked the Tim Vine stuff.

Later episodes..Lidl wine was funny.

The Dump wisecrack in the haunted house Christmas special was also a very good predictable classic!!

• 7 months later...

Just a 'Heads Up' for anyone who has Amazon Prime.  It gives you access to a whole load of films for free via the App if you have a Smart TV.

The films available are pretty variable in quality, but there ae a few which seem to be based on late 19thC issues. These aren't 'great' films but I fiind them very absorbing and entertaining.

The first one I watched was The Aeronauts.. based on a real life pair of balloonists who went for high altitude stuff.way back.  Not entirely true to the real events but entertaining nonetheless.

Next up was 'The Current War'.. which examined the introduction of mains electricity in the USA and explored the varying efforts of Edison, Westinghouse and Tesla.  Perhaps a bit more factually correct than Aeronauts and surprisong how interestiing and dramatic such topics can be made.

Finally last night I watched 'The Professor and the Madman', detailing the efforts of the Lexicographer (name escapes me) who was mostly responsible for finally bringing the Oxford English Dictionary to press, and the contribution of an insane US Army Surgeon who sent in words and references from his cell in Broadmoor. (All true historical fact)

Worth a look.

• Like 1

I have had Amazon Prime for a few years and regularly watch a film instead of boring tv. There are some good films and bad but at least there's a decent choice.

• Like 1

I just watched '7500' (I think) about a plane hijack.  Harrowing but compelling.

• 7 months later...

I was intrigued by trailers for a BBC3 serial called 'Normal People'. In all honestly I was mostly 'grabbed' because the lead female, Daisy Edgar- Jones.. is gorgeous.. with huge intense black eyes. Not 'conventionally' beautiful.. but ...

But.. I didn't watch it it.  I dismissed it as a bit of slushy romance... not my thing. And I had no idea it was based on a best selling book.

Then.. weeks/months later I spotted it on the iPlayer a day or so back when the weather was awful.. and decided to give it a go.  The first few episodes seemed charming and quite funny.  As above.. I don't normally 'do' romance... but I got drawn in by the depth and complexity of it all.

As the series went on.. it got darker, more intense and very affecting. 

It basically concerns two young Irish kids.. each with their own problems of identity, who become involved....and drift in and out of each other's lives..  mostly at school/university.  Both are highly intelligent.. but they come from different backgrounds.

It has left me deeply affected.  I don't quite understand why.  If I wanted to see young adults having sex, there's no shortage of options.  It wasn't that.  It was the story.  I recommend it very highly. It is a very long time since any story affected me so strongly.

I've bought the book on 'Audible'. *  It gives less 'graphics' to the sex, but much more narrative to the story.  I'll let you know what I think of the book... but smarter people than me think it is worthy of awards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_People

It's on the iPlayer for another couple of months.

Highly Recommended.

* For those who don't know. 'Audible' is an app which allows you to listen to books.  I've only recenty got it.. because for some reason. I can't concentrate on reading actual books these days.  You get the book read to you.. often by the author, or some other good narrator. It sits on my phone and I can listen via wired headphones, Bluetooth phones, a speaker, etc.

• Upvote 1

Just finished watching a BBC film, " Stan and Ollie". A bloody good film and guess what! No swearing. Steve Coogan played a brilliant Stan Laurel, miles away from his Alan Partridge. A most enjoyable film. Going to save it tomorrow.

BK we watched that film last night but thought it was a bit sad in parts.  If it was a reasonably accurate account of their last few years, they certainly didn’t have it easy.  I was pleased that their relationship seemed to have healed at the end, though.

Thank you for your input Margie. I knew it wasn't going to be their usual slapstick, but I did enjoy it.

Another film I can recommend, is "Lad, a Yorkshire tale". It was being discussed on a morning program with one of the actors. It's won loads of 'best films awards, World wide.

I searched on you tube and there it was, so streamed onto me telly. Job done. Good film.

Just for a bit of name dropping.  My late Father in Law worked with Laurel and Hardy in the UK as he also toured with Moss Empires. ( He was a ventriloquist and a comic.) Somewhere in the family is a genuine signed photograph from them with a dedication to Mrs Col's Dad, her Mum and the new baby.. which would be Mrs Col.

• Like 2
On 2/19/2021 at 2:16 AM, DJ360 said:

I've bought the book on 'Audible'. *  It gives less 'graphics' to the sex, but much more narrative to the story.  I'll let you know what I think of the book... but smarter people than me think it is worthy of awards.

The book explains a lot of stuff which you have to rather guess at in the TV series, or which you could easily miss if you miss a few words of dialogue.  It also makes the ending much clearer... but I think they are looking at another series....

Nobody else is owning up Margie.  :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I like watching real-life programmes, I certainly can’t be bothered with the soaps.  Tonight, and other weeks, I’ve watched ‘Police Interceptors’ on Ch 5.  Tonight and also a couple of weeks ago the Notts Police were featured. I can normally recognise different areas of Nottingham and the County that they’re racing through, chasing baddies, but tonight I found it difficult to work out ....... but I think Bulwell was featured!! 

Since I watched.and absolutely loved Normal People on the iPlayer... I decided to get 'down wiv da Yoof' and also watch 'Fleabag'. 

Whilst Normal People was a surprisingly beautiful and affecting love story..which got even this old cynic totally hooked... 'Fleabag' is very different.  I wasn't at all sure at first. but it is growing on me.  Some great observations and humour.  Worth a try.

Finally.. I just watched the first episode of 'Keeping Faith', which apparently was first broadcast in Welsh on S4C.  Its a mystery thriller.. available on the iPlayer in English and it won loads of awards.

First episode very promising...

That's about where I almost gave up myself Jim, but  I pressed on and have just finished Series 1 (of 3 I think) It gets better.

Not exactly on the box but on pc. I started to watch a series called " The wilds". That finished after 2 seasons and promised a third season but it never came. Now im on the 4 th season of "Lost". Basically its scifi but its got me hooked. Dont tell me what the ending is because i dont want to know.

I did see "Fleabag" and thought of watching it but never did. So many series and films its difficukt to choose.

Nonna, I remember watching ‘Lost’ and was intrigued trying find out what was really hapening... but every time I thought I’d worked it out, everything changed again., proving  I was wrong! I came to the  conclusion that it really didn’t have a meaning, but I still carried on watching.  Even at the end, I still wasn’t sure what had happened, but by this time I just didn’t care!   A very strange seres written under the influence of something perhaps?  Or by writers who liked the idea of deliberately messing with people’s heads!  
Best of luck, nonna....

• Like 1

iknowYes thats how im looking at it. Every new person who joins them is under suspicion and you dont know who's the goodie or the baddy. Its a bit confusing when they keep going back and forward in time. Cant quite make out the "story " between 3 of the characters though but i have a theory. Probably be wrong.

I seem to remember watching a bit of 'Lost' when it first appeared.  As I recall there was no logic to anything.  A bit like the way that Twin Peaks went. So I gave it up.  I'll put effort into understanding logic..however convoluted.. but not just chaos.

I'm still working through series one of Keeping Faith and still enjoying it though it's getting quite hard to watch the near total disintegration of someone's life and I'm hoping there'll be some relief soon. It's a bit like a 'Scandi Drama' set in Wales.

Slightly off topic.  Just finished listening to Sally Rooney (Normal People)s earlier novel. 'Conversations With Friends'.  Another superb read.

Line of Duty. Is it just me or is it becoming a caricature of itself over time? We all like our coppers to be pure as the driven snow while we bend all the rules. It's a fantasy which makes us feel good.. Even the CHISs.. if they live long enough...

Adrian Dunbar is a mix of awful acting, priceless naivety and intense integrity.

I think I've only seen two series previously. The first one to grab me was the one with Thandi Newton. She can grab me anytime.  Still watchable though if you don't analyse your own motivations too deeply.

Anybody been following the BBC2 series "The Terror,"? A very dark and gruesome series, but well worth following. I got so engrossed after watching two episodes that I watched the whole lot on iPlayer. About two ships crews searching for the North West passage up in the Arctic. This series is about what could have happened to the fate of these poor wretches.