Enjoying owt on the box lately ?

We are watching ‘The Terror’ and finding it fascinating although generally slow moving.  I’m only watching as it comes onto the TV an haven’t watched this weeks episode yet.  I can’t actually say I like it but I want to find out how it ends!

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can’t do the mountain of holiday ironing without watching the telly so this afternoon I am watching, quite by chance, ‘Collectaholics’  BBC2.  I think Gem would enjoy the programme as it has feature

I think it was me who did the snatching Lizzie. The poor lad didn't stand a chance. We had a great two and half years courting, made some fab memories. When I think back to our teens, it makes me smil

The producers of 'The Saint'  wanted a British car for Roger Moore portraying Simon Templer & approached Jaguar to supply a vehicle. The producers explained that the show would be weekly & exp

Well I won't  send any spoilers Margie. Stick with it and try and put up with the gory bits. It is based on a true expedition. I'm watching it again and trying to explain to 'er indoors what's happening. What was your opinion of the brutal 'boys beating last week?

'Lost' and 'Twin Peaks'? too silly for words, neither rhyme nor reason to them, can't stand illogical plots.

Will not be watching the Terror. I'm at an age now here I don't like to be frightened, not that I ever did like horror after seeing 'The Beast with Five Fingers' down the Cavvo picture house.

Keeping Faith was OK ditto Line of Duty.

It seems that a lot of programmes now are thinly disguised propaganda. I started an American series 'The Coroner', what a load of tripe! The main character is a female coroner deep in therapy for several issues, she is in a relationship with an ex marine who has PTSD. She also has a bone idle drop-out teenage son who wants to go live with his boyfriend. The marine has a friend, also ex military, also with PTSD, also black and has tried to shoot himself. Then we move to her father, a major disruptive due to his Alzheimer's. Her best friend is also gay. I doubt there's much more they can cram in. Stopped after two episodes  before I went looking for a bridge...

• Like 1

Watched Midsummer Murders last night on catch up. Enjoy it, always think it is a “gentle” murder series if you see what I mean.

I am also watching Peaky Blinders box set as well. Wasn’t very impressed after the first episode but stuck with it and am enjoying it now. I find I am watching more and more box sets recently as there doesn’t seem much of interest on at the moment even though I have Sky, or possibly because I have Sky.
Watch quite a bit on Dave, QI, which I love, such a lot of useless information can be gleaned from it, Would I Lie to You and Have I Got News For You, although I find one of the team captains a bit annoying sometimes, not Ian thingy the other one. Quite like a Taskmaster for a bit of silliness as well.

I don’t watch soaps or reality tv and since I had Sky Sports taken off my package as it was a quarter of the price haven’t seen any of WWE for ages which I used to enjoy. (I know, I know it was all fake, but just look at some of the hunks that were faking it and having been to a live show or two In England I can tell you they look even better in real life:rolleyes:.)

I admit to enjoying “Midsomer Murders “ as well, but thought the first episode of the new series was terribly written and directed. Enjoying “The Terror” as I read the novel on which it’s based years ago. Apparently Erebus was only found in 2014, and Terror in 2016. I know the supernatural element is just a flight of fancy, but compelling viewing nevertheless. 

When we lived down south we regularly went to a fabulous Italian restaurant called Graziemille which was part of the ‘Cock & Rabbit’ pub in the hamlet of The Lee, near Wendover.  A beautiful, idyllic hamlet of brick cottages and several magnificent homes, surrounding a pretty village green.  
The reason I mention this is because The Lee has featured many times in Midsomer Murders, the pub being called the ‘Rose & Challice’ in the programme.  
A lot of the filming has been done around that area, in fact our son’s friend’s house was used during one episode! 

A little further south Lizzie... When I first met Mrs Col in High Wycombe..around 1970. I took her out for the evening in my 1957 Opel Rekord... with the odd coloured front wing. I had no real idea where I was going, but we discovered the beautiful Chiltern Village of Turville.. and the Old Bull and Butcher pub, which it seems is still doing well 50+ years on. 

I was a long haired hippyish/beat type young man working shifts in a plastics factory.  Mrs Col was  pretty obviously an impoverished student. She spoke Scouse.. I spoke pure Nottm.   

As we entered, there were several people sitting quietly at the bar.  I saw more than one copy of 'Yachting News'... a hint to the close proximity to the Thames at Henley and Marlow.  Every single person in the place greeted us in what seemed a genuinely friendly manner.  The Landlord/Barman was similarly polite and welcoming. I for one had been judged and at best looked down on.. at worst..refused service.. in much lesser places.. so it was a pleasant surprise.

We enjoyed a couple of hours in there and I drank two or three pints.. (I would not even consider that now) before I drove us back to Wycombe.

We've never forgotten that evening.

I dabbled with Midsomer Murders early on for about 5 minutes.. but no.. Just no...

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Beekay said:

Anybody been following the BBC2 series "The Terror,"? A very dark and gruesome series, but well worth following. I got so engrossed after watching two episodes that I watched the whole lot on iPlayer. About two ships crews searching for the North West passage up in the Arctic. This series is about what could have happened to the fate of these poor wretches.

I watched the first episode, but as soon as I realised it was about Franklin's expedition.. I stopped.

Mrs Col asked why.. and I replied.. " I know the ending".  I just couldn't handle the inevitability of it.. no matter how it was dressed up.

I heard Pentangle perform this at the Albert Hall, Nottm.  1967?

It was 1970.

Played that post Col. Doesn't seem right to say I enjoyed it, but I did. A very poignant ballad. Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

Tonight I watched a further two episodes of 'Keeping Faith'.  I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it.. but just to say that finally.. after 7 episodes of her husband disappearing.. then her whole life disintegrating around her in so many ways it would break any normal human being.. there was finally some relief...  :wacko:

No doubt it will be short lived.. as there is one more episode in series 1.. plus two more series..

I hope I can cope.....:(

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2021 at 1:43 PM, MargieH said:

We are watching ‘The Terror’ and finding it fascinating although generally slow moving.  I’m only watching as it comes onto the TV an haven’t watched this weeks episode yet.  I can’t actually say I like it but I want to find out how it ends!

Enjoyed Terror and couldn't predict the ending, enjoy

Enjoyed the documentary on Monday about the last flight of the last remaining Vulcan bomber. Although it was designed as a killing machine it was a magnificent sight and much loved by those who had worked with it. I remember it when it was at Rolls Royce at Hucknall and used to come over our house. It was pure white in those days but still an awesome sight.

Aged nine I remember going to an air display at Hucknall with my dad and watched a prototype Vulcan take off and expected it to return later. It crashed near Syerston due to a structural failure killing the crew of 4 and 3 on the ground.

• 2 weeks later...

Being short of much to watch.. I decided to watch the film Crimson Tide tonight.  I think the stock word for this sort of stuff is 'hokum'.  Enjoyable enough in a 'suspension of disbelief' sort of a way..

But mostly.. it was a cheap re-working of the excellent 'In the Heat of the Night'..with added submarines. Sidney Poitier and Rod Steiger..are replaced by Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman.

Plot.

Honest black bloke with courage, talent and perception.. meets basically honest, but prejudiced , older and jaded white bloke.

Conflict ensues.

Their joint enemy is vanquished.

They end up with grudging respect for each other.

And America is still great...

(I made the last bit up.. ;))

• Like 1
6 hours ago, AfferGorritt said:

Bravery of the highest order.

Indeed.  Sadly.. it seems that many many Indian citizens are killed on the railways annually.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

BBC is trailing 'Conversations With Friends', in its 'New Drama for 2022' ads. This is another novel from Sally Rooney, who wrote the excellent 'Normal People'. If they do half as good a job as  Normal People, it will be well worth seeing.

Meanwhile, I have continued watching the Christmas Lectures, about Viruses/Covid/Vaccinations etc.  Excellent stuff which ought to be compulsory viewing for anti vaxxers everywhere. 

Beeb 1 has been showing a plethora of CG films in the mornings and afternoons. Suppose it's an easy way of filling the schedules.

Just bung a cartoon on and leave em to it.