Enjoying owt on the box lately ?

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can’t do the mountain of holiday ironing without watching the telly so this afternoon I am watching, quite by chance, ‘Collectaholics’  BBC2.  I think Gem would enjoy the programme as it has feature

I think it was me who did the snatching Lizzie. The poor lad didn't stand a chance. We had a great two and half years courting, made some fab memories. When I think back to our teens, it makes me smil

The producers of 'The Saint'  wanted a British car for Roger Moore portraying Simon Templer & approached Jaguar to supply a vehicle. The producers explained that the show would be weekly & exp

1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

Lots of old famous faces are regulars...and i enjoy looking them up on Wiki....sadly most now no longer with us...........

I often do that when I'm watching old films & programmes. It's surprising is how many actors died relatively young. A few I've come across recently...Rupert Davies (Maigret) 60; Alexander Gauge (Friar Tuck in Robin Hood) 46; John Gregson 55; 

• Like 1

@benjamin1945 in the Philippines if you can't speak the foreign lingo you're boggered ,but alas i can get BBC World news , and also Aljazeera ,but to get your old favourites like Last of the summer wine ,  Dad's army, or open all hours , you have to rely on Youtube , not complaining much though my wife still cooks me Egg'nChips , and the beers ice cold , the suntan though must improve on that i want to look like a bronze adonis ( an aged one ) rather than a half baked prawn !!!!

David...up to finishing work in 2018.......i mixed with many ''Philipinoes (sp)''........knowing a little bit of History thought they would have spoken some 'Spanish' but found only the older ones did...........

• Like 1

The Philippines was claimed by Ferdinand Magellan  in 1520 for Spain ,  that's was the local here tell me , i wasn't around  leaning on a coconut tree to witness it mind !

• 2 weeks later...

I watched a couple of episodes including the final one. I could see where the writer was was coming from but I couldn’t really get into it. Do they really swear like that all the time in the pit villages? I’ll probably watch the sequel out of curiosity. 

My thoughts entirely Phil. Is it done for realism or shock tactics because they can. I agree with you, not everybody swears. Some chaps I worked with down Bestwood pit, I never heard them swear.

Surely it type casts people and all are not tarred with the same brush. It seems mandatory to put swearing in virtually everything.

The backlash is, listening to young kids effing and blinding.   B.

My dad always used to say that there were enough words in the English language without using swear words.. I can remember telling my son at about 14 yrs after he swore when I picked him up from school that he should leave that language in the playground. He’s 37 now and have never heard him swear since. 
I used to have a lady working for me who used the “f” word all the time, just became habit with her I think but I had to get rid of her in the end. 

We’ve watched all 6 episodes as they’ve been aired and have to agree about the language, it surprised us!  To be honest the storyline has left us confused, feeling we must have missed something, even though we both tried our best to follow it.  

• Like 2

Jill Sparrow, totally agree with you. Mrs B

15 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

feeling we must have missed something, even though we both tried our best to follow it.  

The sub plots and flashbacks did nothing for the continuity, and at one time I think the storyline lost its focus.

I said earlier it did the mining community no favours though back in the 80s the language would have been appropriate, not now days though. It was OK but I’m not as enthusiastic about it as some reviews.

I used to work with an old chap when I did my apprenticeship who never swore. His prophecy was that if you had to resort to swearing it just showed lack of command of the Queen's English. Food for thought and had a lasting impact.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

As for the thread title, the short answer is 'not much'....

The longer answer...

I've written to BAFTA.
I have insisted that they create a few Special Awards in relation to the BBC coverage of the demise of HRH Elizabeth II.

1. Special Award for the Longest Collective AdLib in Broadcasting History.
2. Special Award for Making Every Programme About The Queen and Cancelling Those That Aren't.
3. Special Award for Repeating the Bleeding Obvious Ad Nauseam.
4. Special Award for Hiding Any News NOT About the Queen, in Ten Second Undeclared Snippets Among The 24 Hour Coverage of The Queen.

• Like 2

I enjoy watching QI with either Stephen Fry or Sandi Toksvig as host but as soon as Giles Brandreth is announced as a panelist I hit the off button as soon as possible as Brandreth overpowers everyone else on the show and thinks his ramblings are so interesting....... Not

• 6 months later...

Last night I watched a film I'd recorded a day or so earlier from 'Talking Pictures'.

A 1929 film called 'Flying Scotsman'., which I'd not heard of before, although it's quite famous as one of the earliest 'Talkies'.

(Not to be confused with 'Flying Scot' from the 1950s, which is a B movie 'heist' film set on a train, and notable for having the train hauled by a different class of steam loco in every external shot. The continuity bod should also have been shot!)

So anyway, 'Flying Scotsman'..very interesting on many levels.

Firstly, it appeared to feature 'yer actual' 1923 Gresley A1 class loco 'Flying Scotsman', though I suppose any A 1 could have been used with a simple change of number and nameplate.

Next, the usual confusion between the Flying Scotsman passenger service, which originated in the 1860s, and the locomotive of the same name which was used to haul said service, but so were many of the other 50 or so A 1s. So, it would be entirely possible for another A1 loco to carry its own nameplate on the side, and the Flying Scotsman 'Service Plate', on the front.

Next. The first part of the film was silent, with sub titles, but later it became a 'talkie', I did notice the word 'synchronised', somewhere in the opening credits, so I can only assume that the film sound was originally achieved by synchronising audio discs with the film, which I think was how it was done before an audio track was added to the side of the actual photographic film. Not sure.

Today I found much more here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flying_Scotsman_(1929_film)

Interesting to note that LNER issued a disclaimer stating that some of the actions in the film could not actually happen in real life due to LNER safety procedures etc.

Also fascinating were the social attitudes portrayed in the film. The plot is fairly slight and predictable, but many little nuances make it a worthwhile watch. It's surprisingly modern in some ways.

Finally, it was introduced by the seemingly immortal Melvyn Hayes, who added much information about the actors, but my recording parameters unfortunately cut him short.

• 6 months later...

I do like a good horror film, not especially the “slasher” type although I do have the complete set of Freddy films and the first Halloween one was scary. But the one I have always found the most scary is the one about Hill House, can’t remember the title, was it The Haunting? Not the remake with Catherine Zeta Jones, the original black and white one, I always found the last words “Those who walk at Hill House walk alone” very chilling. 
So I was intrigued to see that Netflix had done a series based on the book, had a quick look at trailer and it looked okay. I wasn’t sure if I would be able to watch it being on my own but yesterday decided to binge the whole series whilst the storm passed. Right sort of weather for a ghost story.

Snuggled down on settee with a blanket and Jj, who was soon snoring under the blanket. Decided if it was too scary would stop watching it. 
It was a bit slow starting, it wasn’t easy to follow at first as it had a lot of flashbacks but persevered with it. By episode 4 I was starting to fast forward some flashbacks and decided to knit whilst I watched it. By episode 6 I was starting to get bored with it, the continual flashbacks were getting annoying.

I did finish the box set. However they had completely altered the story, the only thing from the original was the family name Crane. They had taken a frightening ghost story and made it warm and fuzzy, with no jumpy bits at all. It was boring and mundane and a bitter disappointment. 0 out of 5 stars I am afraid. The only good thing I finished the back of my jumper I am knitting. 
I am going to see if The Haunting of Bly Manor is any better, don’t think it could be worse!

Watch the Exorcist SG., or maybe the Omen. We watched 'Soldier Blue' thursday evening, which was quite an eye opener when it came out many years ago. Took my sis in law to see it ( wife did'nt want to go) and the lady in the kiosk said, 'Is your daughter old enough?'

So if you want to watch a scary, I'll bring the popcorn.

Seen the Exorcist and the Omen BK. Didn’t find them that scary. Think they were overhyped to be honest. Never seen Soldier Blue, what is it?

One of the best films in that genre,in my opinion, was Night of the Demon, shot in the 1950s in black and white. Directed by Val Lewton. It is sometimes known as Curse of the Demon. Based (very loosely) on the M R James short story, Casting the Runes.  It's available on internet archive.  Also worth a watch is The Uninvited, (based on the novel Uneasy Freehold) with Ray Milland. Both old films but far more frightening than more up to date stuff.