FLY2

Enjoying owt on the box lately ?

Recommended Posts

Not seen Bodyguard, despite so many people saying how good it is.  I can never tell what Scottish folk are saying either!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is difficult Lizzie but after watching italian films ( any film dubbed in Italian) I have great difficulty getting my ears adjusted to the dialogue in english strange as it may seem. I've noticed too that occasionally in a film an english word crops up I don't understand what is said but an italian can tell me what it was.:wacko: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished watching the TV series Shetland on DVD.

Blimey, I thought it would never end. Apart from the difficulty of following the Shetland accent, the area itself is shown to be so depressing. Doesn't the sun ever shine up there? I'm surprised there isn't an even higher murder and suicide rate up there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to admit it but I am hooked on Gordon Ramsey’s Series about restaurants that are a complete disaster, especially the American ones. It is amazing to see how he turns them around in about a week. Some of the owners are so bolshy but eventually accept what he says, possibly because they are scared of him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no way a team of decorators,carpenters and laborers could gut and refit some of those  restaurants overnight, Ramsey or no Ramsey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They would certainly have to move and the place would smell of paint, not what you would want when eating out. The state of some of the kitchens is worrying, hopefully conditions are better over here with our h&s regs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched “Cops UK: Bodycam Squad” earlier on Really TV, set in Nottingham.

 

Opening piece was in Arnold town centre, where an old bloke was being accused of being a paedophile by what can best be described as a baying mob of gobshites. No evidence, no police record, yet they decided he was guilty.

 

Made me embarrassed to live here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, poohbear said:

There is no way a team of decorators,carpenters and laborers could gut and refit some of those  restaurants overnight, Ramsey or no Ramsey.

The simple truth is they don't. The same goes for the so called 'reality' shows, they're scripted. 

I once took part in a 'Look North' item for the BBC. Eight hours to film maybe forty seconds of screen time and that included the stock footage they used in the credits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two or three times a year we see notices put up in various town and communes asking for the local populace to volunteer to take part in various 'antiques' programmes for UK television. This usually involves a quite comprehensive TV crew who set up a supposed market in the village or town square (or any convenient bit of land) and the locals can come along and dispose of their unwanted rubbish and junk - which seems to have great appeal for British TV wannabes. This is not a normal French activity, folks. It's made entirely for UK TV. I went to one of these markets in Bar sur Loup a couple of years ago. The stuff on sale was complete and utter tat which would normally have been placed on a bonfire years beforehand but, so-called antiques experts pore over this rubbish almost having orgasms over it offering their expert advice to the hapless contestants.

 

A few weeks after this first disruption to normal life, the whole things is repeated using the same film crew and the same (but rearranged) set but different 'experts' to give continuity to the show.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are these events similar to the British ‘car boots’ Jonab?   

I’ve been to Street markets in France and Spain where many of the stalls are full of folks unwanted rubbish.   Suppose a it’s a way of making some pin money rather than taking to the Council tip. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not au fait with 'car boots' - the sales I mean are ones specifically set up by TV companies and have nothing to do with real life.

There are local street markets, lots of them, but they have a whole range of goods on sale and are not dedicated to the sale of complete junk as these TV company setups are.

Usually, the junk in a real street market is only a very minor proportion of the stuff on sale - and that almost always have some virtue. I have bought stuff myself from real street markets and it is usually in a reasonable state but never bought from the UKTV setups. Anyway, I don't think that an interloper like me would fit properly with their schedule!

 

I understand that the junk from these programmes can sell for quite large sums in the UK but that is most likely a setup as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Antiques are a big thing over here. At nearby Newark Show Ground there are regular huge antique fairs, similarly at Lincoln Show Ground. We have Europe's largest antique's centre at Hemswell's old airfield. Newark has a plethora of antique shops/centres and Horncastle is riddled with such places. We are quite interested in curiosities and over the years have purchased a number of items. Sadly there are few bargains to be had now that the dealers have become more savvy and can compare prices online. A visit last week was to Heanor antiques centre where you have never seen such a lot of old house clearance rubbish in all your life. This is a rambling building stacked to the ceiling with absolute junk. I don't know how they get a fire certificate. Yesterday we dropped into Albert St. antiques centre in Newark but as usual bought nothing. Stamford and Uppingham also have some interesting centres. It's an occasional day out to brighten up the dull life I lead these days! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jonab said:

I'm not au fait with 'car boots' - the sales I mean are ones specifically set up by TV companies and have nothing to do with real life.

There are local street markets, lots of them, but they have a whole range of goods on sale and are not dedicated to the sale of complete junk as these TV company setups are.

Usually, the junk in a real street market is only a very minor proportion of the stuff on sale - and that almost always have some virtue. I have bought stuff myself from real street markets and it is usually in a reasonable state but never bought from the UKTV setups. Anyway, I don't think that an interloper like me would fit properly with their schedule!

 

I understand that the junk from these programmes can sell for quite large sums in the UK but that is most likely a setup as well.

Hemswell has a Sunday car boot sale, allegedly the biggest in the U.K. I've never been as car booting doesn't have any appeal to me. There's a big Sunday one at Calverton and I think also at Colwick Racecourse. I've noticed that the antique centres do have areas dedicated to French "curiosities".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daytime trash television seems to be full of programmes about antiques/curios/junk/rubbish. They are usually presented by a minor celebrity who advises the punters about items in the attic which could be worth as much as £5 or more. 

 

It's definitely a British obsession; digging around in hidden corners to find junk which no-one else noticed or wanted, and then trying to sell it to another gullible mug who thinks they've got a bargain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a friend who is a retired antiques dealer...in as much as they ever retire. It's a disease, not an occupation!

 

He feels the bottom fell out of the antiques market some years ago. With the advent of Ikea and companies like Indigo ( I'm afraid I refer to it as Flintstones Furniture) people don't want and neither do they appreciate the craftsmanship that went into 'brown' furniture, as the trade call it.  Since many people now consume their food from a tray in front of the gogglebox, the demand for decent dining suites has disappeared and modern housing has no space for them anyway.

 

The really good stuff will always command high prices. The lesser known but still craftsman made pieces are currently virtually worthless, despite what you may see on the likes of Flog It!  Times will change, as they always do, and fashion will turn in favour of the older pieces.

 

In the meantime, the likes of me are getting what we appreciate for very little.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One person’s junk is another person’s antique. I know these programs are a load of old rubbish but then find me something on the television that isn’t. The only time I can find anything remotely intellectual is by going to bed at at 9pm and listening to Radio 4. Unfortunately after 5 minutes I’m usually asleep!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

. I know these programs are a load of old rubbish but then find me something on the television that isn’t. 

That would be difficult because I no longer have one for that very reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I have a friend who is a retired antiques dealer...in as much as they ever retire. It's a disease, not an occupation!

 

He feels the bottom fell out of the antiques market some years ago. With the advent of Ikea and companies like Indigo ( I'm afraid I refer to it as Flintstones Furniture) people don't want and neither do they appreciate the craftsmanship that went into 'brown' furniture, as the trade call it.  Since many people now consume their food from a tray in front of the gogglebox, the demand for decent dining suites has disappeared and modern housing has no space for them anyway.

 

The really good stuff will always command high prices. The lesser known but still craftsman made pieces are currently virtually worthless, despite what you may see on the likes of Flog It!  Times will change, as they always do, and fashion will turn in favour of the older pieces.

 

In the meantime, the likes of me are getting what we appreciate for very little.

You can furnish a house with quality brown furniture from Hemswell Antiques for a lot cheaper than new stuff. There really are some remarkable pieces of craftsmanship. Sadly the brown stuff is not currently popular hence the prices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being somewhat restricted lately been searching for things of interest on the box.

              Found a channel with some interesting old TV series and films,,its called ''Talking Pictures''  lately been watching ''Public Eye'' an old tv series from 60s and early 70s,, Alfred Burke plays the main man ''Frank Marker'' find it fascinating so sort of 'low key' and gritty,, he is a Private eye and has an office on the high street in Windsor,,and the way its filmed i find really 'off the wall''.    IE..........he makes a cup of coffee,, kettle on the hob,,strikes a match to light it,,puts two sugars and milk in........riveting !..........not mentioned before,,but did a bit of that work,,and loved it,,White mac,, Newspaper,,sat in Pub listening,,..............first got interested when followed from ''Shoulder of Mutton'' Basford to Five Ways'' valley road,, he wern't very good,, bought him a pint,,...........lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Public Eye'' an old tv series from 60s and early 70s,, Alfred Burke plays the main man ''Frank Marker'' find it fascinating so sort of 'low key' and gritty,, he is a Private eye and has an office on the high street

Remember that when I was a child, Ben. Along with, Our Man at St Marks...Donald Sinden; Man in a Suitcase...that could be Man in a Liberty Bodice, starring our Ben; Emergency Ward 10; The Power Game...Patrick Wymark....my dad thought Rosemary Leach was rather nice!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched Ant Middleton Extreme Everest on C4 had me on the edge of me seat 

 

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/extreme-everest-with-ant-middleton/on-demand/68004-001

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

..my dad thought Rosemary Leach was rather nice!

 

I did too Jill,,plain but nice,, personally liked a bit more exotic,, ya know ''Bulwellish''...................

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've watched a few of those 'Public Eye' episodes recently, and I remember it from first time round. Back then (being a teenager) I thought it was dull and boring and slow; but watching it now I've realised it was a bit of a masterclass in understatement and ordinariness. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dad was quite fond of Valerie Singleton as well!  I preferred Christopher Trace...and I was only 6!  Young blokes are a waste of time! :blink:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...