FLY2

Enjoying owt on the box lately ?

I must admit I am hooked on Ghost Adventures, just watched the latest series up to Halloween and recorded the Halloween nite special. (Possibly cause Zac Bagins is eye candy.) Watch Most Haunted as well, but not as keen on that, too much screaming when anything “happens”. Don’t know if it is real or not but having had experiences myself find it fascinating. Don’t do soaps but enjoy Criminal Minds and the crime channels on sky, usually gravitate towards serial killers. Dread to think what this means!  Watch WWE as well, having been to 2 shows in England am hooked, and yes I definitely know that is fake but who cares with so many fit wrestlers!

Brilliant. "We love you Preacher".  

• Like 1

Dark Heart on ITV 1. A bit grim. They caught the bad guy. 

Killing Eve on BBC. Another grim tale and I hope they catch the psychopath. I prefer to watch the episodes week by week rather than going down the box set route in iPlayer. 

On 11/1/2018 at 12:42 AM, Brew said:

I 'binge watched' Killing Eve. I won't tell you what happens in the last episode but it seems a curious way to end an excellent little series. Hopefully there will be a series 2.

Whilst on the subject I found those Danish programmes with sub-titles the Beeb seem so fond of just lately are available in English. Probably cost the Beeb more to licence though 

I'm going to be at a party in Nottm on Sat and wil mis the final episode of Killing Eve, so will have to catch it on Sunday... No spoilers please!

For me,  of all the 'Scandi' dramas I've seen, the  Steig Larsson trilogy  ( The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo/Played With Fire/Kicked the Hornet's Nest) was by far the best.  I bought the full extended Blu Ray version, which is basically the origiinal TV series and it will get an outing on some dark day over wnter when I don't want to go out.   I can't watch it with the dubbed English.. I have to hear the language and read the subtitles.  It is certainly very graphic and violent in places, but thoroughly absorbing.. and Noomi Rapace 'owns' every scene.

The US produced versions are rubbish.

Just watched ""get cracking "" on talking pictures,,1943,,with George Formby,,Ronald Shiner and Dinah Sheridan,, absolute rubbish,, lol,

Must've been one of George's better films then.  He He!!!..Terned owt nice agen!!

• Like 1

A relaxing afternoon yesterday, after the departure of an outlaw. Von Ryan's Express (C'mon Frank, you'll make it) I yell it out at the end every time I see it.  War Horse, superb, and a heartwarming ending. Then Strictly later.  Brilliant !

I watched War Horse yesterday too FLY.  I can’t understand why I’ve never seen it before.  Brilliant film but oh so sad.  Made me cry at the end, I’m not normally that soft!!

• Upvote 1

At least everything came to a happy conclusion Lizzie. 2nd time I've seen it, but still wonderful.

• Like 1

I started watching it............but started crying before they left the village........so turned over,,:wacko:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I watched it for the 2nd time on TV and it still gets to me.   I saw a live streaming of the stage show last year at a cinema in Ely and found that heart wrenching too.   I thought I wouldn't get beyond the wooden models but as the show went on, they became real - such talented operators... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just finished the 6 part series called Body  Guard. Excellent, only drawback was trying to figure out what Richard Madden was saying. A broad Scottish accent was hard on these ears that haven't been around Scots for a while. Keeley Hawes also was a lead actor. I think there may be a 2nd series around?

• Like 1

Not seen Bodyguard, despite so many people saying how good it is.  I can never tell what Scottish folk are saying either!  

It is difficult Lizzie but after watching italian films ( any film dubbed in Italian) I have great difficulty getting my ears adjusted to the dialogue in english strange as it may seem. I've noticed too that occasionally in a film an english word crops up I don't understand what is said but an italian can tell me what it was.:wacko: 

Just finished watching the TV series Shetland on DVD.

Blimey, I thought it would never end. Apart from the difficulty of following the Shetland accent, the area itself is shown to be so depressing. Doesn't the sun ever shine up there? I'm surprised there isn't an even higher murder and suicide rate up there.

I hate to admit it but I am hooked on Gordon Ramsey’s Series about restaurants that are a complete disaster, especially the American ones. It is amazing to see how he turns them around in about a week. Some of the owners are so bolshy but eventually accept what he says, possibly because they are scared of him?

There is no way a team of decorators,carpenters and laborers could gut and refit some of those  restaurants overnight, Ramsey or no Ramsey.

They would certainly have to move and the place would smell of paint, not what you would want when eating out. The state of some of the kitchens is worrying, hopefully conditions are better over here with our h&s regs.

Watched “Cops UK: Bodycam Squad” earlier on Really TV, set in Nottingham.

Opening piece was in Arnold town centre, where an old bloke was being accused of being a paedophile by what can best be described as a baying mob of gobshites. No evidence, no police record, yet they decided he was guilty.

Made me embarrassed to live here.

5 hours ago, poohbear said:

There is no way a team of decorators,carpenters and laborers could gut and refit some of those  restaurants overnight, Ramsey or no Ramsey.

The simple truth is they don't. The same goes for the so called 'reality' shows, they're scripted. 

I once took part in a 'Look North' item for the BBC. Eight hours to film maybe forty seconds of screen time and that included the stock footage they used in the credits.

Two or three times a year we see notices put up in various town and communes asking for the local populace to volunteer to take part in various 'antiques' programmes for UK television. This usually involves a quite comprehensive TV crew who set up a supposed market in the village or town square (or any convenient bit of land) and the locals can come along and dispose of their unwanted rubbish and junk - which seems to have great appeal for British TV wannabes. This is not a normal French activity, folks. It's made entirely for UK TV. I went to one of these markets in Bar sur Loup a couple of years ago. The stuff on sale was complete and utter tat which would normally have been placed on a bonfire years beforehand but, so-called antiques experts pore over this rubbish almost having orgasms over it offering their expert advice to the hapless contestants.

A few weeks after this first disruption to normal life, the whole things is repeated using the same film crew and the same (but rearranged) set but different 'experts' to give continuity to the show.

Are these events similar to the British ‘car boots’ Jonab?   

I’ve been to Street markets in France and Spain where many of the stalls are full of folks unwanted rubbish.   Suppose a it’s a way of making some pin money rather than taking to the Council tip. 

I'm not au fait with 'car boots' - the sales I mean are ones specifically set up by TV companies and have nothing to do with real life.

There are local street markets, lots of them, but they have a whole range of goods on sale and are not dedicated to the sale of complete junk as these TV company setups are.

Usually, the junk in a real street market is only a very minor proportion of the stuff on sale - and that almost always have some virtue. I have bought stuff myself from real street markets and it is usually in a reasonable state but never bought from the UKTV setups. Anyway, I don't think that an interloper like me would fit properly with their schedule!

I understand that the junk from these programmes can sell for quite large sums in the UK but that is most likely a setup as well.

Antiques are a big thing over here. At nearby Newark Show Ground there are regular huge antique fairs, similarly at Lincoln Show Ground. We have Europe's largest antique's centre at Hemswell's old airfield. Newark has a plethora of antique shops/centres and Horncastle is riddled with such places. We are quite interested in curiosities and over the years have purchased a number of items. Sadly there are few bargains to be had now that the dealers have become more savvy and can compare prices online. A visit last week was to Heanor antiques centre where you have never seen such a lot of old house clearance rubbish in all your life. This is a rambling building stacked to the ceiling with absolute junk. I don't know how they get a fire certificate. Yesterday we dropped into Albert St. antiques centre in Newark but as usual bought nothing. Stamford and Uppingham also have some interesting centres. It's an occasional day out to brighten up the dull life I lead these days!