I have an original of the photo as the lady in the centre standing is my maternal Grandmother,Beattie Brealey and to her left is I believe her Mother, Maria Holmes. I think that at the time that this was taken Gran was by then living in Curzon St and Great Gran would be living with one of my great Aunts in Comyn St, but I can't remember which pub had arranged the outing.

• Upvote 1

There are several similar photos of groups of people going on a charabanc trip from a pub; some of which are definitely in the St Ann's area, so it's quite likely the location is in or near one of the streets you've mentioned.

The type of brickwork could be a clue as to where the houses were,espacially the brickwork above the doors and windows in the houses behind the charabanc,the houses to the rear seem to have been built later because the brickwork is not so ornate,perhaps some of the houses are still there.if not perhaps someone on here can remember,just a thought,still a great picture though

Rog

I'm lucky enough to remember when alot of women really looked liked that........late 40s early 50s.......my Great Aunts Grandma's and even a Great Grandma born 1870..........they were the salt of the earth.......had come thru 2 world wars and literally kept the Home fires burning whilst their men were at War.........they ruled the roost even when the men returned and were the real centres of the family,........and in my case anyway always led any celebrations Xmas,Birthdays,Weddings.......and the men did as they were told........but always thought they were the boss....but knew really who was........and i never dare argue with any one of em..........but loved em all..........womens Lib ? they always had it,and quite right.

• Upvote 2

The male equivalent; not so much variety in headgear, in fact only two styles.  

cwUwK8v.jpg

Also demonstrates the earlier comment about photos from the St Ann's area; the pub behind the charabanc is the Bay Horse on Alfred Street Central.

• Upvote 4

There must have been millinery shops then, as thick as Costa Coffee shops  now,  in those days! A good trade to be in.