• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When our son was very young he joined the Church Choir. He loved it. I was one of the parents who made the tea, washed up and looked after the little ones when the choir went to events. I used to list

I wanted to become an airline pilot. I had originally been accepted to do dentistry at university but had a change of heart (didn't want to be looking into people's mouths for the rest of my life!) I

My daughter about 8 years old at the time had an idea that she wanted to learn to play the piano. So she commenced piano lessons at the Frederick Parnell school of music on Derby Rd, being taught by M

Seems regret of not being able to play an instrument is quite common so can I add to it? I would love to play a piano or violin but unfortunately I couldn't carry a tune if it was in a bucket. I have a full 88 key keyboard, a flute and a mouthorgan, can't play any of them no matter how many YouTube videos I watch.

Same with painting. I have dabbled with acrylics, water colours and produced what I'm told is a passable picture. But they're not  originals as such, they are paintings copied from  photographs. Seems I have zero creativity.

The list goes on but my biggest regret is managing to choose six numbers that never appear on the winning ticket.

• Upvote 4

I had certificates for painting at school, but likewise, I've done nothing for years. I just don't seem to have the inclination or the patience these days. 

I'm good on the Air Guitar though after watching loads on utube !

• Upvote 2

I took violin lessons at school as those who were studying music were required to learn a second instrument...my first was the piano which I started playing at 4. Couldn't get on with the violin. Too painful on the fingers. I also tried the classical guitar. Same problem. 

28.  Hi Brew.  I wish I had taken up an instrument when I was a kid or a teenager.  Finally took up the Organ four years or so ago.  Got myself a good teacher.  Bought a used instrument and I've never looked back.  I will never be a great musician but that is not the point.  I enjoy my lessons and bashing away on the instrument for couple of hours most afternoons.  It's never too late.  :)

You could learn that keyboard.  I tried teach yourself books but there is really nothing like a good teacher who can answer your questions and set standards.

• Upvote 2
9 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Re #18. I too wish I could play an instrument. I did have piano lessons up to the age of 14, and passed many exams, but I couldn't play anything for the life of me now.

Col, I've sensed recently that you must be anxious and a worrier, but try and do something I keep being told. That is, 'If you can't do anything about a certain problem, then leave it, and carry on with life '. Hard to do, I appreciate.

I'll respond in the 'Ailments' thread Fly.  Don't want to depress everybody.  :)

Col

It would have been around 1980, Loppy. I was singing in a church choir and the organist left, so I was invited to try my hand(s)..and feet, as it were.  I found a teacher who lived on Imperial Road in Beeston, Elizabeth Smith, who was  very strict but good.

Although I had played the piano almost all my life and worked through all the Associated Board of Royal Schools of Music practical and theory exams, the organ was a steep learning curve...but better than stringed instruments! Along with the organ, there was also the choir to run, so it was a big commitment. Taught me a lot!

• Upvote 2

36.  Well done!   Having done all those practical and theory exams would have been a tremendous help.  When I started my first year of piano lessons I couldn't even read music.  I'm still not great at it and my counting leaves much to be desired it is coming on slowly.

My teacher gives me a pretty free hand in my selection of music to work on.  Recently I was whining about seeming to take so long to 'get it' with some pieces.  He just grinned and replied, "well, you do seem to choose some rather hard pieces of Bach to work on."

Thing is, I figure if I keep working on the Bach the other stuff seems almost easy by comparison.  ;)

• Upvote 2

My daughter about 8 years old at the time had an idea that she wanted to learn to play the piano. So she commenced piano lessons at the Frederick Parnell school of music on Derby Rd, being taught by Mrs Parnell. Me & the then wife  even bought daughter her own piano.

After a couple of years worth of lessons she became quite good on the piano.

She was a good as Les Dawson !

• Upvote 6

When our son was very young he joined the Church Choir. He loved it. I was one of the parents who made the tea, washed up and looked after the little ones when the choir went to events. I used to listen to the lovely music and see how much they enjoyed singing. I wished I could sing and be part of the choir. My singing skills had been condemned at an early age.  I failed the audition to get into the BGS school choir. When I did my PGCE my tutor said that I could not voice project well enough so he sent me to the drama department. The drama tutor played a note on the piano and told me to sing it.  I did it wrong so he told me that I was tone deaf and could not sing. He was very successful at teaching me to voice project! I can make myself heard across a car park. A few years later I got conned into taking part in a pantomime and after I had agreed I discovered I had to sing! A very good friend taught me my song and I did it. Later she took me to an evening class called "singing for the terrified". It was lots of fun. The other people had had similar experiences to mine and we worked as a team on our singing. The next step was when the Church Choir Director suggested I came to some of her practices. That was a steep learning curve, getting to grips with reading music! It was worth it though because when the choir went to Bridlington Priory and sang Zadok the Priest it was just so exciting. I was with good singers and they just take you along with them. Team work. The final step was when the choir director talked 4 of us (adults and relative newcomers to the choir) into taking the RSCM bronze award singing exam. We practised together, encouraged each other, all passed and I proved the drama tutor wrong. The theme in my journey is in the Beatles song "I get by with a little help from my friends".

Learning is a lifelong activity. Never give up. Don't let the negativity of others grind you down.

• Upvote 9

When I was at school I loved PE and was very good at it especially vaulting. I hated games but if I could I would have passed all my time with PE. I belonged to the vaulting club, but on leaving school I didnt carry on with it. I wish I had because it was a real shame because I think it would have helped me avoid the problems I have with my back.

• Upvote 1

I have lost count of the number of people who have told me they are tone deaf! It's rubbish! I've had quite a lot to do with choirs both adults and children's and can honestly say I've only ever met two people who could hear no difference between one note and another, for example between Bb and F#. The rest were too terrified to open their mouths because someone had said they were tone deaf!

It's such a shame because singing is so therapeutic. We all love singing in my family! :rolleyes:

• Upvote 3

Interesting thought that one Jill. Although very musical, I sing along to music on the radio, in the car, or on tv. 

However, whether it's to do with my worsening tinnitus, in don't know, but there are certain sounds that absolutely screech violently into my head. Two singers that spring to mind are Diana Ross, and Whitney Houston. I cannot bear to listen to either at any price. I've had endless rows with madam when I've quickly switched the car radio off. Likewise, I cannot nowadays bear really screeching guitar music, and I love guitar orientated music most of all. That's what caused my tinnitus in the first place. 

As I've grown older, I tend to prefer something deeper sounding with more of a bass feel to it. 

• Upvote 1

Crikey Phill, you wouldn't get away with that these days. The PC brigade would soon have you arrested !

10 hours ago, BilboroughShirley said:

Learning is a lifelong activity. Never give up. Don't let the negativity of others grind you down.

That could be the cue for a new thread - sayings and principles to live by.

• Upvote 2

As seen on many Landrovers.... "One Life, Live it".

• Upvote 2