Anyone had PPI refunds ?

There's many adverts on TV and online about applying for compensation, and I wondered if anyone had ever been successful in gaining a refund.

The only PPI's I ever had were with my ex between 15-40 years ago, and possibly with three different institutions. I can't remember exactly which ones, and whether I did them alone or jointly. 

Any ideas?

Yes, my other half and I have both had PPI refunds and no we didn't use a professional to do it. There are plenty of sites on the internet offering advice, some even have letter templates. All it took for us was a letter to the companies and an offer came back within a few weeks which we accepted, all pretty much straight forward and quite simple.

I'll have a look at some, thanks Brew. I was recommended Gladstone Brookes as being one of the most successful.

I'm sure my ex could use some extra cash. After all, she's travelled the world for at least ten years on MY money !

Don't some say that they charge no fee ?  They've got to be recompensed for their efforts , and it can only come from the claimant surely.

Not sure how it works now it's a few years ago and the plethora of competition may have driven prices down. All I can say it was surprisingly easy to do it myself.

I'll have to go blind as I've no paperwork to refer to whatsoever. I can only guess that we used my bank (RBS), or two different Building Societies that we used. 

Thanks Brew, I'll have a bash later, as we've got visitors arriving soon.

Other than that, I'll contact RBS. 

Thanks.

I've had one successfully. Don't pay a broker. Once you have started the ball rolling with whoever you are claiming against THEY have to follow it up.

Thanks Malcolm, I'll try next week.

Try direct first, if they turn you down take the complaint to the Financial Ombudsman. There is no fee involved and they were successful when my bank initially said no. Be persistent if need be.

I got turned down quite quick by contacting Nottingham Building Society direct about a protection payment I was told I had to take out with my mortgage back in 91, I then did the same claim myself via the financial ombudsman service which took about 2 years before I was paid out with no fees, If you use a PPI claim company there will be a fee or a percentage if you are successful or in some cases unsuccessful.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/ppi.html