Is there any philatelists on here,I see plenty of other hobbies/interests listed but none for this particular interest,I think most of us collected stamps as kids (remember those little packets of stamps you could buy)and I was just wondering if anyone kept it on

Rog

My sister and I kept a stamp album when we were children, Rog. I remember those sticky lozenge things used to fix the stamps in the album. Our neighbour's daughter lived in Gibraltar and then in Uganda, so we got all the stamps from her letters and the odd Australian stamp from a penfriend of my sister's!

• Upvote 1

I still have a few albums that I collected over the years,don't think they are worth anything but it's nive to look at them now and again just to see how things have changed over the years geographically,countries changing borders,merging with others that type of thing,|I also have a few with a picture of mr Hitlers head on from the 1930's

Rog

Rog, Paul says he has some 'Hitler stamps' as well.  He says he has some Penny Reds and Tuppenny Blues but they aren't particularly rare.  He thinks one of his better stamps is a Tuppenny Blue with a Maltese Cross.  He hasn't looked at his albums for years - we were planning to look at them and his Coin Collection when we retired (9 years ago!) but we haven't had time yet..... 

• Like 1

Get the albums out margie and Paul you will enjoy looking at them,all the different places in the world and like I posted things have changed such a lot in the world and the stamps are just another reminder,Might look at my albums in a bit and if there's any interesting ones I might take some photo's and post on here

Rog

Yes, spent plenty of time in there. There was another stamp place on Mansfield Road which I believe from memory (now fading) was a Stanley Gibbons place but the best was on Forest Road near the Mansfield Road traffic lights.

I'd saved stamps from an early age up till about 14. I thought my collection was valuable, but one time when skint, I sold them to him, and got £20. I'd spent way more than that over the years......... Robbing git !

Waste of time trying to sell them to a shop,like anything else they don't want to give you owt for them but want to charge the earth if you were buying from them,

here's a few

P1050518_zpsrcsxthak.jpg

some sporting ones

P1050516_zpstedscpq0.jpg

some with Mr Hitler on

P1050515_zps9ot9vqpm.jpg

and some more sporting ones

Rog

My brother and i used to collect stamps from the that shop, I'm Shaw it was called Gibbons stamp centre. We also got stamps via the royal mail from the Bridgnorth Stamp company who sent you a small book of stamps, you take out what you want and send back the book with a cheque for the stamps you take out.

• Upvote 1

I think there used to be a shop at Clifton that sold a mixed packet of stamps,maybe about a hundred in the packet from various parts of the world,they were perhaps only sixpence to a shilling per packet,the shops could have been Woolworths,co op or even Pettits up the top shops

Rog

• 2 weeks later...

The shop on Mansfield Road was called Midland Stamp Centre which opened in around 1966 or 1967 - it had a major burglary a few years later which cleared out all of its stock.

There was a longer established stamp shop on Forest Road near the Mansfield Road traffic lights called 'A. Cross'. Mr Cross lived in a flat above the shop and when you opened the door a bell rang and you had to wait in a small lobby area until he came downstairs