Ack Ack at Clifton

Looking at the photograph in #4 I remember that the annual bonfire events was held in this area.

I also remember some deep pits, I assume these were the remnants of the ack ack emplacement?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've moved post #13 into this thread; it refers to the subject here, and didn't make any sense as a stand-alone thread where it started.

The person who mentioned the Rowley's house was TRD, at post #5 above.

(and if it adds anything, I slightly knew Stephen Rowley who lived there; he was in the same class as me at Greencroft infants and junior school.)

I played there as a lad.  I moved from Radford to Langstrath Road (top of Green Lane) in Nov. '58 so it would be after that.  My mum was a cook at the college when it opened.

• 1 month later...

Only just spotted this topic but when Dad was in the Home Guard 1942-5 he used to go to a site he said " at back of Wilford Hill Cemetery" but it wasn't 'ack-ack guns', he didn't talk a lot but did say they were "rockets"?  but never mentioned them being fired!  I think he did one night per week "on guard" and as no one had porridge for breakfast he used to fill his haversack with the unused quaker oats so we got some benefit from his night out of bed!

• Upvote 1